Soo, that means the LDD gallery is now defunct as well. It's absurd how they didn't even think to tell us this was going to happen.

I hope someone in the future finds a way to mod the program and fix bugs/add parts that LEGO never did. If it's discontinued as I've been told, I don't see why we can't.

So I'm stumped. Another rep is telling me that their web team is working on the issue. I'm getting a lot of confusing and conflicting info.

Edit: shame my 600th post had to be this.

Edited by ChristopherLee

Quick question: We were told that LDD's last two (three, if counting the addition of that corner SNOT brick) updates came about because of some alternate model site that received entries in LDD format and thus required updates to put the new parts into the program, or something of that nature. Anybody know what that site was or what the status of it is?

Because if that site still running, it's reasonable to assume that LDD will be updated accordingly, although I haven't heard anything about it since the micro update in February.

ChristopherLee, I hope that the conflicting responses have a very good reason behind them... like, I dunno, the LDD people being too busy trying to resolve this to get a coherent message over to customer services, which would explain why every service rep seems to have a different idea of what's happening.

Oh, yes, that's right. Remake. I was thinking it was Rebrick or something along those lines.

It does seem like the best thing to do right now is to just wait and see what happens.

I've been using Stud.io temporarily in case it's true that LDD is really being shuttered like this. It's an ok replacement, but I love LDD's simplicity and ease of use. I really hope that LEGO reconsiders their approach to it.

9 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

Bad news.

Just spoke to "Donna" from Lego's customer service. She's telling me they don't have plans to work on this problem as technical support for LDD has been discontinued. I don't think this issue is going to be fixed. We might have to live with an offline LDD.

I'm fine with that, I don't really know why it is that bad...

11 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

Bad news.

Just spoke to "Donna" from Lego's customer service. She's telling me they don't have plans to work on this problem as technical support for LDD has been discontinued. I don't think this issue is going to be fixed. We might have to live with an offline LDD.

I think she's missing the point. It's not that you are having issues with your LDD. The error is server side. 

I think that trying to get information from customer service is not much useful.

I don't think they are not aware of the problem, I think that TLG doesn't want to reveal nothing about what's happening so the customer care give us ready-made answers.
We should simply wait that the situation gets back to normal or they decide to reveal what's happening.

Edited by Calabar

22 hours ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

Quick question: We were told that LDD's last two (three, if counting the addition of that corner SNOT brick) updates came about because of some alternate model site that received entries in LDD format and thus required updates to put the new parts into the program, or something of that nature. Anybody know what that site was or what the status of it is?

Hi there, i'm part of the Remake project and indeed it's like you said for the update. The website is still up, we fan designers are waiting for the third wave but the project is idle at the moment.

Anyway, remember that updates never needed "downtime" on the server, so i don't think this is an update, unless they're updating the whole software and infrastructure and not just the part library.

My opinion? This has to have something to do with the recent unlocking of the Developer Mode. Timing can't be a coincidence. I think that developer mode maybe have some authoring power on the "official" part library, or some other "write access" that could cause trouble. They noticed the problem and did the quickest thing to stop it: tearing down the update site (since LDD is super low priority for lego now). If it's like this, then they're now probably deciding what to do, since modifying the software to remove the bad code is out of question. Perhaps they're working on the web endpoint to change it's functionalities, in which case it will take time.

Just my 2 cents

10 minutes ago, msx80 said:

My opinion? This has to have something to do with the recent unlocking of the Developer Mode. Timing can't be a coincidence.

The developper mode has been known for years. One more post about it shouldn’t trigger what’s happening now.

2 hours ago, kangmingjie said:

I'm unfamiliar with Developer Mode. Is that just the Extended Theme?

No, it is a hidden feature in LDD.

See here:

8 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

The developper mode has been known for years. One more post about it shouldn’t trigger what’s happening now.

Really? didn't know that. If so, then my guesses are wrong, but it could still be that latest news spread the word much more than before (i've seen many people see this for the first time) and it caught the eyes of TLG.

has the problem reentered ? I see a submission from yesterday in the Gallery

4 hours ago, msx80 said:

Really? didn't know that. If so, then my guesses are wrong, but it could still be that latest news spread the word much more than before (i've seen many people see this for the first time) and it caught the eyes of TLG.

has the problem reentered ? I see a submission from yesterday in the Gallery

Known since at least 2007: http://www.brickwiki.info/wiki/LDD_developer_mode (third link in google; content is a bit outdated).

For me LDD still can’t connect. I never used the Gallery, is there another way to submit?

I hope it's not because of Lepin ripping off someone's OCs to the final detail and making their own smarty-pants imitations of it, which annoys them in most cases. Hence the reason why fan-made instructions for big models are usually payware.

And I hope TLG is not an official supporter of the ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) either.

How did that person get multiple pictures onto the Gallery, and more to the point, how did they get a screenshot and a 3D rendering from another computer program on there?! 

I'm utterly befuddled by a lot of things about that.

In one of his uploads he actually added a link in a description: http://ldd.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/upload

Edit: but nothing on that page works for me...

Edit 2: I've been banging my head against a wall trying to upload something. It looks like you have to drag and drop your files, it doesn't matter if it's an .lxf file or .png. However names of your files can't contain spaces. And uploads need to be approved...

640x360.jpg

Edited by inkpanther

10 hours ago, inkpanther said:

In one of his uploads he actually added a link in a description: http://ldd.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/upload

Edit: but nothing on that page works for me...

Edit 2: I've been banging my head against a wall trying to upload something. It looks like you have to drag and drop your files, it doesn't matter if it's an .lxf file or .png. However names of your files can't contain spaces. And uploads need to be approved...

It seems to work for me, but it is drag and drop (not "click here").

But I haven't submitted anything though...