SpinX125

Small Train Layout (4x7 baseplates)

Now it has become my turn to share some pictures of my little train layout. :classic:

It's a project that has been running since autumn 2015 and evolved over time, the space is not that big, the layout fills 4x7 baseplates (32x32) It’s my first attempt at building a MOC.

The roadplates are raised so that they fit the railroad crossings and a little SNOT road has been made in front of the warehouse. The position of how the warehouse stands is determined by the shift track behind.

The station is inspired by the set: 4554 Metro Station.

All rails are raised with "Ballast" and tiled so they look better.

One switch is by engine, so if two train sets are parked, I can choose which one I want to drive.

The layout was shown at the Danish event “Klodsfest” in may 2017.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137767198@N08/sets/72157681704024404

Dear SpinX,

this is a wonderful layout. It is so tough to get things "into place" on a rather restricted area. As it is with engines and rolling stock, track side items. You really managed to do that - not throwing everything in you have at hand - but even leaving some space to breath ... Very nice!

All the best,
Thorsten 

It's incredible how many things are going on on your layout. You also did a good job on adding some green stuff like trees to make the whole scenery looking more natural.

First of all, welcome to Eurobricks @SpinX125!

You've achieved a very good balance with this layout, it's simple enough and yet has plenty of interesting detail/scenes to enjoy. The large structures also help to create different vistas from different angles, allowing the scene to appear bigger by offering a completely different view from each angle. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it! :grin:

The one thing I'm not so sure about is the positioning of the green gantry crane, this seems to be a common thing. These should never span main running lines, and your passenger trains will have to run underneath it, which is very unprototypical. If possible, I would move it to a different siding, perhaps by moving the shed turnout to the left and putting a kick-back siding in to lead to it. Or, perhaps just take it out.
It's your layout though of course; I suspect adding another siding would subtract from the visual cleanliness I just talked about, and would require a lot of effort to rebuild everything and make it fit. The signal box would have to go too, and that's a shame as it's such a nice model. (Have you considered putting some signals in for it to control? :wink:)

Overall, it's a beautiful layout, well done. What an entry to our community, I can't wait to see more from you.

I love this layout!!!

My own layout will be size restricted as well (3 x 9, 32 x 32 baseplates), so I can appreciate the work that has gone into your layout.

I am drawing a lot of inspiration with what you have done and I am going to head over to your Flickr page now to see the other photos!

On 6/6/2017 at 9:59 PM, Toastie said:

Dear SpinX,

this is a wonderful layout. It is so tough to get things "into place" on a rather restricted area. As it is with engines and rolling stock, track side items. You really managed to do that - not throwing everything in you have at hand - but even leaving some space to breath ... Very nice!

All the best,
Thorsten 

Thanks for the comment :classic:

On 6/6/2017 at 10:20 PM, Stefaneris said:

It's incredible how many things are going on on your layout. You also did a good job on adding some green stuff like trees to make the whole scenery looking more natural.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:17 PM, ColletArrow said:

First of all, welcome to Eurobricks @SpinX125!

You've achieved a very good balance with this layout, it's simple enough and yet has plenty of interesting detail/scenes to enjoy. The large structures also help to create different vistas from different angles, allowing the scene to appear bigger by offering a completely different view from each angle. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it! :grin:

The one thing I'm not so sure about is the positioning of the green gantry crane, this seems to be a common thing. These should never span main running lines, and your passenger trains will have to run underneath it, which is very unprototypical. If possible, I would move it to a different siding, perhaps by moving the shed turnout to the left and putting a kick-back siding in to lead to it. Or, perhaps just take it out.
It's your layout though of course; I suspect adding another siding would subtract from the visual cleanliness I just talked about, and would require a lot of effort to rebuild everything and make it fit. The signal box would have to go too, and that's a shame as it's such a nice model. (Have you considered putting some signals in for it to control? :wink:)

Overall, it's a beautiful layout, well done. What an entry to our community, I can't wait to see more from you.

I see what you mean with the cargo crane, and i will consider what to do. I cant move the shed turnout to the left, then the wagons will hit the door frame on the way in, i dont want to lose the signal-box (its also hides the motor for the switch)

What do you mean by controlling signals? I have considered making some lights in the building and lightposts, i also considered some automation (maybe arduino) but i havent decided if i want to do so.

On 7/6/2017 at 5:36 AM, Younge said:

I love this layout!!!

My own layout will be size restricted as well (3 x 9, 32 x 32 baseplates), so I can appreciate the work that has gone into your layout.

I am drawing a lot of inspiration with what you have done and I am going to head over to your Flickr page now to see the other photos!

Yes it is a challenge to make a nice layout on a small place, it hat to be a loop, so i can run some trains. :laugh:

8 minutes ago, SpinX125 said:

What do you mean by controlling signals? I have considered making some lights in the building and lightposts, i also considered some automation (maybe arduino) but i havent decided if i want to do so.

Just putting on some decorative signals. Even if they don't function or have lights in them, their presence would enhance the railway-likeness of the scene.
Fair enough about the shed, I hadn't realised it was so close. Nor had I seen the motor-controlled point (I hadn't scrolled that far down); that's pretty nice, and no you couldn't move the point or signal box in that case.

This is simply remarkable. As someone who's struggled at making a small layout, this is really inspirational. The placement of track and the buildings is superb. Lovely stuff! Just looking this over I'm getting ideas for my own portable layout! :thumbup:

Hi, there, SpinX125, really love this small lay-out ?. You've managed to put a lot of details in it and it is not over-crowded. Nice to see the small container busyness as a theme on your lay-out. Your station is also beautifully done! And I understand that you operate 2 trainsets on this lay-out? This lay-out also is a nice try-out area for new train MOCs. Maybe I should build one like this myself, instead of the long straight track that I use now.