1920x1438.jpg

Some of you may be familiar with the Hob Rod, the project I was doing on and off throughout a few years. The idea was to pull a hot rod with some nice functions and details while keeping it in a ~35 stud size. Various other things and issues made it a long term project and I have no doubt this baby will be improved even further.
Well, here's how it looks now. 37 studs long because of the exposed rolling chassis arms, uses Technic and System parts as you can see.

Intended as a cruiser and salt flats racer - and a small tribute to the Kustom Kulture - it's based on the '30s trucks and features many details that won't let you forget about that.

Raise Hob.

Features:
► fake mountain V6 engine with moving pistons
► blower with chain-driven pulley (1:1.5 crankshaft-pulley ratio; 1:3.501 axle-pulley ratio) + Enderle-style bugcatcher + fake carburetor + external tachometer and oil pressure gauge
► working differential and transmission (2.334:1 crankshaft-axle ratio)
► coupled '30s style link steering connected to steering wheel and a HOG
► detailed cockpit with a steering wheel, dashboard, custom skull-shaped gear shifter and comfy channeled couch for two
► channeled and chopped body style with kustom roofline + functional bed with Moon tank
► classic radiator grille and "zoomie" exhausts, front tow bar and rear push bar and rear engine emergency shut-off lever
► locking suicide doors with internal handles and slanted edges + locking, chain-suspended bed gate
► exposed suicide front axle + wide, fake leaf spring-suspended rear axle, each wheel with fake drum brakes

1920x1438.jpg

1920x1438.jpg

1920x1644.jpg

1920x1644.jpg

1920x1644.jpg

Edited by Immo

I didn't think it was possible to jam so many features and functions into one model... Excellent hot rod! :thumbup:

Only things I would change is maybe make the tailgate orange, and continue the black line on the rear bumper, just to match better and look more smooth.

33 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I didn't think it was possible to jam so many features and functions into one model... Excellent hot rod! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! I'd love to incorporate some rear suspension as well, however, given the available space, it'd be rather impossible.

33 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Only things I would change is maybe make the tailgate orange, and continue the black line on the rear bumper, just to match better and look more smooth.

As for the tailgate, I first wanted it to match the sides of the bed, but there are neither 9L nor 11L liftarms in Bright Orange in existence and two 7Ls in Bright Orange topped with LBG 9L looked bad, believe me, I tried. :wink: All in all, the color scheme is deliberate and all parts are in a colour I wanted them to be. The gate was meant to be in "metal" colour hence LBG. The same goes with the bumper and the Black center section of the rear is part of the rolling chassis "painted" black to have the "metal parts welded to a chassis" feeling :wink:
Hot rods usually have the "smooth" part omitted anyway.

Great MOC! looks cool with the flames coming out of the engine!

But I think your photos are too big, the normal with for photos is 800px (not 1920px), double-click on the images to edit them :wink:.

Also, your signature is very funny!

Edited by mocbuild101

6 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Great MOC! looks cool with the flames coming out of the engine!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I think your photos are too big, the normal with for photos is 800px (not 1920px), double-click on the images to edit them :wink:.

I used the big resolution phots I had uploaded on BrickSafe. I'll change them, thanks.

800x600.jpg

In case someone wanted to see the underside. There's quite a lot happening down there.

8 hours ago, Immo said:

In case someone wanted to see the underside. There's quite a lot happening down there.

Contrary to my earlier belief, it is very different from the 42022 chassis. I didn't realize how different yours and the 42022 were.

6 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Contrary to my earlier belief, it is very different from the 42022 chassis. I didn't realize how different yours and the 42022 were.

The 42022's scale and overall 'mood' was my inspiration, but I wanted much more :wink:

The two issues that needed solving the most were incorporating the drive gear for the chain while keeping the chassis rigid and making the steering work.
As you can see, I used the 6L thin liftarms in the front to reinforce the undercarriage while making room for the chain (I wanted the pulley to spin fast, so 1:1.5 ratio - not 1:1 ratio - was a must). The exhaust mounts and steering joint mounts reinforce the whole front part of chassis. Actually, the thin bar in the front acts  not only as a towing bar, but torsion bar as well.
And then, when it was done, the steering still needed to work. There wasn't enough space for any typical solution, so I modified the 42022's drag link steering by shortening control arm and alternating the Pitman arm and then putting the drag link at an angle. Still, the turn radius for one direction was different than the other, so I added a mirroring link on the other side for symmetry. Also, I wanted the steering wheel to turn with the HOG, so I used a drive shaft bypass system based on 16-teeth gears with clutch.