Sign in to follow this  
Muakhah

Flower Sellers

The city of Khadira is full of a variety of industries and businesses. Here a flower seller displays a sample of his wares. The petals of the flowers are often distilled for scents and perfumes or used to manufacture dyes for Khadira's vigorous textile industry. As a beautiful profusion of flowers bloom across the mountains and hills to the West of Khadira it is relatively easy to collect and sell some to the dye makers or perfumers. Izal here acts as more of a middle-man, purchasing flowers from local farmers and more recently refugees needing to make a few coins. He then sorts the flowers by colour and quality before selling them on.

Flower Seller

The traditional flag of Kaliphlim flies next to the Desert King's colours. Where possible Hassan M'badwe has decreed that the flag of the Desert King be displayed prominently to assure the loyalty of Khadira. Some whisper this is because of Khadira's failure to contribute militarily to the civil war effort.

Flower Sellers

Izal Sweeps a frog away from the flowers drying in the sun. One of the problems of purchasing from the refugees is the relatively lower standards and quality control. Often Izal has to sort pests from the plants which the more experienced farmers already remove.

Colorful Flowers

When his wares are displayed the usually dusty street becomes quite colourful.

Top View

An overview of the build to show some bits a little better. I am really enjoying making the vignettes depicting small scenes. It is easy on my collection and allows me to try new things without taking on more than I can actually do. For example I tried to make a siege engine for Category B challenge but couldn't create the wider scene for it.

I would like this to stand for a craftsman/merchant according to the establishing a settlement rules here 

This would mean that Khadira currently has Agriculture (irrigation ditches), Hospitality (street food) Laborors (adobe makers) and now a Merchant Speciality (Flower Seller)

So I really need to make a Military one and a General Goods Craftsman otherwise Khadira isn't even a Hamlet...The shame!

I am hoping to post my newest build soon and actually go into a bit of story with some characters. Is it possible to also use that as a Khadira location? If so then prepare to see a small Small Council chamber soon!

Sorry for the recent quietness, the usual interruptions from work and family coming to visit...for a month!

EDIT: Forgot to say when making the build my girlfriend took one look and said its very plain. That I think is the main problem for the floor and small building. I hope it helps to draw the eye to the colourful part of the picture and acts more as a background. We do the best we can with what we have but I am not happy with the lack of texture and colour in it.

Edited by Muakhah

hey nice vignette here Muakhah! I normally prefer big MOCs, but your small ones are particularly convincing :thumbup: I also like the lore behind it, I can't wait to see more of Khadira's evolution! speaking of which, I'd be curious to see Khadira's location on a GoH-map.. or had you alrady done so and I've forgotten/missed it?

as for your own comment, I think you textured well enough the front part of the floor. The rest could use some more variation, but I'm not sure how much your collection allows for it, as you say. One easy thing that I can suggest is to remember that you can use 3 plates to form a brick - in this way you could, for example, replace one of the tan bricks on the wall with 2 tan plates and one dark tan. That'd already add some colour/texture in an easy way; same goes for the floor. Also, I see that you have SNOT parts there - you can use them to add texture on the wall by SNOTting some tiles, for example. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.. :blush:

The cobblestone texture of the street is great! The angle of the house is nicely done, too, and the SNOT ground is great. I love your small vignettes showing the daily life of your settlement. I can see what you mean about not much texture, but at the same time, in such a small footprint, sometimes less is more. Too many textures or colors would actually be overwhelming, but I think you have struck a nice balance here, actually. Nicely done!

That snotted base is quite cool, it makes a great road :thumbup: 

I really like your vignetts, so please keep them coming!

As everyone else said, great vig! The road is ingenious and once again I love the snotted base :thumbup: For texture maybe add one or two grey 1x1 studs in the light tan part, just to give it a bit of wear. But other than that great!

Agreeing with Henjin, the street design is pretty nice, and I like how you made the curb using a SNOT design. The building itself is a nice addition, as is the wall next to it. The flowers of the ground and foliage on the wall are great too. I'm really starting to like how Khadira is turning out. 

Great use of SNOT to detail the street, and make a nice angled curb :thumbup: Fun minifig combos that certainly fit right in for Kaliphlin :classic:

On 2017/6/3 at 6:51 PM, en_zoo said:

hey nice vignette here Muakhah! I normally prefer big MOCs, but your small ones are particularly convincing :thumbup: I also like the lore behind it, I can't wait to see more of Khadira's evolution! speaking of which, I'd be curious to see Khadira's location on a GoH-map.. or had you alrady done so and I've forgotten/missed it?

as for your own comment, I think you textured well enough the front part of the floor. The rest could use some more variation, but I'm not sure how much your collection allows for it, as you say. One easy thing that I can suggest is to remember that you can use 3 plates to form a brick - in this way you could, for example, replace one of the tan bricks on the wall with 2 tan plates and one dark tan. That'd already add some colour/texture in an easy way; same goes for the floor. Also, I see that you have SNOT parts there - you can use them to add texture on the wall by SNOTting some tiles, for example. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.. :blush:

Thanks for the tips. I really need to get more 1x2 and 1x1 plates. At the moment I only seem to have enought to fill gaps rather than make them a core part of the build.

The location of Khadira is supposed to ne on the Eastern Coast of Kaliphlim near the border with Nocturnus. Just south of the Goolag Archipelago there is a bay with a river flowing into the sea which would be perfect but I am not sure if some other minor settlements were placed there in the Kaliphlim civil war. This would explain why, tucked away behind the mountains and the Desert King's main forces it was able to stay out of most of the fighting but be in a position to accept Kaliphlim and Nocturnan refugees.

Thanks for the other advice and tips everyone. I am slowly working on more things. My current wip is larger than before thanks to my girlfriend's go big or go home attitude. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

On 6/18/2017 at 9:47 PM, SerenityInFire said:

What set of torso and legs are your using on the grey guy?

Hi sorry for the late reply. The torso and legs are from a ninjago figure pack with three figures. An archer ninja lady in orange/dark yellow, a grey faced guy and this armor set with a grey ninja mask and two clubs.

853687-1.jpg

The pack number is 853687