Toa Chronix

Need help removing sharpie/marker from minifigs

I recently dug into some old drawers to find loads of my Clone troopers from the CW era sets, but realized that my younger self tried "customizing" them with sharpies/other permanent markers and... well, let's just say they're not the greatest

Does anyone know of a way I can remove the marker without damaging the printing? Like some kind of liquid I can leave them in for a while or something? 

The marker has been there for quite a few years now, i'm not sure if that would affect anything though. I just really want to salvage these minifigs somehow.

Edited by Toa Chronix

When accidentally using permanent marker on a whiteboard; you can go over it with a whiteboard marker of the same color and then wipe it off. This might work on Lego as well. :classic:

Also just a simple pencil eraser, WD-40 or rubbing alocohol can do the trick. I use Brasso myself for getting printings off of Lego, so don't use that. :wink:

Edited by -zenn

I use a pink (not the smooth white) pencil eraser for this task all the time. You don't have to rub very hard and the sharpie will come off before damaging any of the natural print. I don't use any type of liquid or solvent on it as that can damage the plastic and print.

On 2017-6-1 at 9:42 PM, -zenn said:

rubbing alocohol can do the trick.

If you used an actual Sharpie, rubbing alcohol, A.K.A. isopropyl alcohol, will take it right off without damaging the print. 

Isopropyl alcohol can be tricky to find depending on where you live. If it's not easily available, try a clear sanitiser hand gel with "Alcohol Denat." as its main ingredient, Cuticura for example. If you're worried about long-term effects of any residual gel, you can wash off any excess with water.

I did something very similar but I found from an older euro-bricks thread that body-spray ,not deodorant , did the trick.

Ok, so I have made the same mistake from my younger self, and rubbing alcohol didn't do the trick. It sure seemed like it, but it left a faded mess. I also tried a magic eraser thingy, which did the trick. If that doesn't work, try mint toothpaste. If THAT doesn't work, use some hairspray. They smell after, but it is worth a shot. Hope this helps you!

-Legostarwars1425

On 03/06/2017 at 12:14 AM, AmperZand said:

Isopropyl alcohol can be tricky to find depending on where you live.

A lot of camera lens cleaners are based on isopropyl alcohol, usually with some added water. But a very expensive way of buying it!