Sign in to follow this  
Didumos69

[TIP] Porsche rim w/ balloon tire

- Be cautious, I can't guarantee that stretching the balloon tire like this over a long time won't disform the tire -

I have a deal with @DugaldIC that my next build will be a motorized model (his next build will be a HoG-model). This is very challenging for me, because I never did something with LEGO motors. I don't even own one.

I'm thinking about a 4x4 off-road model with knob wheel drive. I want to use the Porsche rims - not because of their looks, but because of their deep offset - but I couldn't accept the use of third party off-road tires without first trying to see what I can do with 100% LEGO parts. So I have been puzzling with wrapping the 94.8 x 44 R Balloon Tire around the Porsche rims - which requires quite some force - but I couldn't get both sides of the tire inserted in the wheel ridges. There was allways one side popping out of one of the wheel ridges. But after some trial and error I found an easy way. Just put the Porsche tires inside the balloon tire, make sure you center it prefectly inside the balloon tire and wrap the two tires around the Porsche rim together. The inner tire will span the balloon tire widthwise and makes it easy to insert the tire sides into the wheel ridges. The inner tire also gives the balloon tire a pleasnt sturdy feel.

800x600.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Inner diameter of tire will not be the same, so you want be able to use tires with wheel racing medium. Porsche and 8448 wheels will only work with "deformed" tire. I've tried this with 8448 wheel and additional 81,6 baloon tire inside 94,8 baloon. So I've ended with more narrow 102mm tire instead of 94,8 and with pain in fingers, so it will not be happy ending, trust me

Edited by I_Igor

What about the CLAAS Tires? 

1280x853.jpg

(The  the last 20 minutes of my life was spent trying to fit the Class tires over the Porsche ones...) 

Edited by Myers Lego Technic

3 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

(The  the last 20 minutes of my life was spent trying to fit the Class tires over the Porsche ones...) 

This is interesting - one question what is outer diameter of CLAAS tire on Porsche wheel?

I ask this because I need CLAAS tire with 115 mm diameter

Edited by I_Igor

1 hour ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

What about the 81.6 mm tires? :wink:

I tried that too, but it felt like too much stress to put them on the rims. And when I managed to do that I couldn't get them to stay inserted in the rims ridges as can also be seen in your image.

40 minutes ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Haha, that looks awesome! The Porsche tire is also inside the Claas tire? So it looks okay from both sides?

Edited by Didumos69

Yes! it actually worked! 

Just now, Didumos69 said:

Haha, that looks awesome! The Porsche tire is also inside the Claas tire? So it looks okay from both sides?

1280x853.jpg

1280x853.jpg

Those class tires on the Porsche rims looks awesome, the knob drive looks good too, very tough looking!! Also I'm glad to see you're following through on our deal ;)! However I might be cheating a little, I'm doing a manual chassis but also an rc chassis at the same time. The manual will be the one loaded with features and the RC will just be drive and steer. I hope that doesn't change our agreement :laugh:!  

Doing this will deform the tire, I don't recommend doing it, I did it with the 81.6mm over 9398 hubs and they are much larger then they used to be and don't grab the rim very well anymore.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:56 PM, JJ2 said:

Doing this will deform the tire, I don't recommend doing it, I did it with the 81.6mm over 9398 hubs and they are much larger then they used to be and don't grab the rim very well anymore.

That is what happened when stretching all tires except powerpuller which could be stretched to 123-124 mm diameter and it has propper form...but baloon tires and powerpuller tire have wrong tire pattern for my models

Edited by I_Igor

11 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Just damaged my thumb making another one. :hmpf_bad: 

Saw them both side by side, and now I'm into off-roaders again. :wink:

Yea, true pioneering makes victims :wink:.

11 hours ago, JJ2 said:

I was afraid of that. I have no deformation so far, but I'm afraid that when the smaller tires are sitting around the bigger rims for a long time they will deform permanently. When I decide to incorporate this in my next build, I will accept that, as for the tires are concerned, there is no way back.

11 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Also I'm glad to see you're following through on our deal ;)! However I might be cheating a little, I'm doing a manual chassis but also an rc chassis at the same time. The manual will be the one loaded with features and the RC will just be drive and steer. I hope that doesn't change our agreement :laugh:!

Yea, I read about your plans the other day and was also happy you are sticking to the agreement. It could be that I have to lift my plans over the summer though. Worlking on a manual and rc version is no problem to me. I guess it gives me some room for interpretation too :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

Very interesting... one question, what is the dimensions of the rim? - because I was thinking about the 3rd party 2.2" RC tires maybe fitting... :sweet:

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

Very interesting... one question, what is the dimensions of the rim? - because I was thinking about the 3rd party 2.2" RC tires maybe fitting... :sweet:

if you look at bricklink site, rim dimensions are 62.3mm diameter, 42mm width

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=23800&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

you would have to cut part of 2.2" RC tire to put it over this rim :wink:

2 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

because I was thinking about the 3rd party 2.2" RC tires maybe fitting... :sweet:

This is the only example of Porsche rims with 2.2" RC tires I know of: 

Yes, I can verify that they fit, and rather nicely might I add.  HOwever, I don't think I would really recommend using them.  The RC tires I just them in are for off-road vehicles, and other rim configurations I have used have been dinged nicely.  Porsche rims are still rare and costly, I personally don't want to ding them up. 

I have used other rim configurations, which I have posted before, that work nicely with 2.2 tires.  In fact, in just a short time, I will post a video of a recent build with the tires and rim configurations. 

3 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Porsche rims are still rare and costly

Yes, I agree that it's not the best idea - I was just wondering it they fitted...