koalayummies

[MOD] Modular-ized Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

Been wanting to do this for a while. The goals were to turn the GB Firehouse Headquarters set into the Modular style buildings and away from the dollhouse style in the original set using mostly the pieces in the original set with as few additions as possible.

I tried several different combinations and hours spent trying different styles and then scrapping those builds including keeping all the floors their original height which didn't work as its out of scale with the other modulars and there aren't enough New Dark Red bricks. 

Finally settled on a design in keeping with the original style and Modular building style. 

Exterior:

39135477352_933da0c83e_b.jpg

39135477402_e5aac9421d_b.jpg

39135477462_236d67b34a_b.jpg

39135477432_13f90b6de0_b.jpg

All the floors:

34842259442_406d66c6e2_b.jpg

Ground floor, might try to include the Earth Green and White striped walls from the original but will need some more pieces.

34842259462_be72c5fce0_b.jpg

34842259492_fa94d5fc78_b.jpg

Second floor:

34842259532_eca94bfaab_b.jpg

Bathroom with Slimer's ectoplasm omitted:

34162237054_607a4cdb68_b.jpg

34162237084_84f2db7950_b.jpg

34162237104_35aeba344b_b.jpg

Third floor:

34162237114_d848231a04_b.jpg

34162237124_5a957bbf80_b.jpg

34162237134_24b5a49b70_b.jpg

Roof, not much to see besides the roof access:

34195242353_5a0311122a_b.jpg

Happy to be with the other modulars now:

34195242363_b4123290a2_b.jpg

34195242373_561bf7c10c_b.jpg

34195242413_fdb2e5fbc7_b.jpg

Edited by koalayummies

Cracking effort there.  I'm toying with buying the GBHQ, but want it to fit in with my modulars too.  How many extra parts do you think you used?

Love this!!!!

- it looks amazing between the outer buildings

Great Great Work!!!!

Greetings

3 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Cracking effort there.  I'm toying with buying the GBHQ, but want it to fit in with my modulars too.  How many extra parts do you think you used?

The GBHQ is such a big and great parts pack that's you are bound to be able use if for nice MOC. If you make a middle building, l,Ike this one, you could easily use the tan panels and bricks for the sides so it will be taller; those sides are only seen when you take the floors off. I had so much fun making my condo high rise for the set that I'm tempted to pick up a second one to make something else; that would be cheaper than bricklinking all the extra parts I would need. Heck I could use it to make my highrise even higher. LOL.

Edited by gotoAndLego

7 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Not that many. The main concerns were having enough of the supplied large plates (6x16) as I have no extras in the reddish brown, sufficient 1 by "xx" plates and having enough new dark red bricks as I also have almost none of those to spare. 

The floors of the building are 32x22, using up all of the 6x16 plates supplied and utilizing the building style of the original set of not placing the outer wall bricks on the floor plates (since the set has a lot of 2 by "xx" plates) which is unlike the modular building sets. So the lowest layer of the upper floors are 2 by 'xx' plates but the brown floor plates are all set one-stud inward. 

Obvious extras are the dual-molded brown doors (three extras) and some black 2x2 window frames since the large window pieces were not used. 

This is well made! I like it.

I find it interesting that you display your Modulars as individual entities instead of connecting them. I've not seen that before. It's a fun quirk.

21 hours ago, carebear said:

Love this!!!!

- it looks amazing between the outer buildings

Great Great Work!!!!

Greetings

Thanks Carebear appreciate it. Will never be as cool as your huge dormitory! :wub:

11 hours ago, Chilis said:

Love it! Looks great!

Thanks Chilis!

1 hour ago, Actor Builder said:

This is well made! I like it.

I find it interesting that you display your Modulars as individual entities instead of connecting them. I've not seen that before. It's a fun quirk.

Thanks Actor Builder. Yeah I don't connect them because I use each one as Minifigure storage (CMF line), it spaces out the shelves a little better and I like to take them down periodically to dust them off, look at them for inspiration and otherwise mess with them. 

That looks pretty good!

The only thing that looks a bit off to me is the height of the floors, which you mentioned had to be reduced to the amount of bricks provided in the set. Just add a few then! ;-)

6 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Thanks Carebear appreciate it. Will never be as cool as your huge dormitory! :wub:

Thank for the nice comment,

Greetings

This is fantastic! Not sure how I missed it but I'm going to try and steal this as much as possible to fit into my modular city as this was also my plan but I still have yet to get around to it.

35 minutes ago, Willworkfortoys said:

This is fantastic! Not sure how I missed it but I'm going to try and steal this as much as possible to fit into my modular city as this was also my plan but I still have yet to get around to it.

Thanks Willworkfortoys. I've been meaning to take a few update photos as I improved the facade a bit more and I've also been meaning to build it in Lego Digital Designer to share so others can build from the file. I'll probably start working on the file here very shortly. Some of the updates have increased the not-in-set parts though but they're still relatively few in numbers that most should be able to manage. 

On 12/19/2017 at 6:59 PM, koalayummies said:

Thanks Willworkfortoys. I've been meaning to take a few update photos as I improved the facade a bit more and I've also been meaning to build it in Lego Digital Designer to share so others can build from the file. I'll probably start working on the file here very shortly. Some of the updates have increased the not-in-set parts though but they're still relatively few in numbers that most should be able to manage. 

This is truly wonderful... Did you have a chance to create an LDD file?

It’s really well done considering what you were trying to achieve but I think it has lost the GB feel through the change in proportions and just looks like a really nice modular fire station.  The front needs to be narrower for its height to give the GB feel.  You then could make it deeper to fit the interior detail.

18 hours ago, minimat said:

This is truly wonderful... Did you have a chance to create an LDD file?

I haven't yet. Been focusing on building new stuff.

18 hours ago, rriggs said:

It’s really well done considering what you were trying to achieve but I think it has lost the GB feel through the change in proportions and just looks like a really nice modular fire station.  The front needs to be narrower for its height to give the GB feel.  You then could make it deeper to fit the interior detail.

Yeah, that was the whole point; to make it like the modulars and away from the dollhouse style of the official set. There are four free studs in the back so really can't make it deeper, making it narrower would then require an infill to take up the rest of the 32-stud baseplate width and making it taller would render it out of place with any other modular. The original set is a dollhouse play set. This is not.

Actually I decided to keep it narrow as the original, and remove a third of its depth to align it with other Modulars. It still means that I’ll have to rebuild it entirely to do so, but I’ll use the rebuilding to remove the doll house hinges and make it modular in the process. I may end up adding a floor as well. Will post a pic if I'm satisfied with the result :)

@koalayummies Love this Modular conversion of GB HQ, sorry I am so late to the game. I wondered if you had the chance to migrate it to an LDD file we could build from.
I would love to do what you have with my set to include in my Modular City :)

Great work btw.

3 hours ago, Jbb08 said:

@koalayummies Love this Modular conversion of GB HQ, sorry I am so late to the game. I wondered if you had the chance to migrate it to an LDD file we could build from.
I would love to do what you have with my set to include in my Modular City :)

Great work btw.

Thanks. I haven't had the time to build it in LDD as I'm constantly sorting several large disassembled things and making new stuff. There are some decently large photos you can try to build off of here (1333x2000 pixels): Ghostbusters Firehouse Modular

On 5/31/2017 at 1:07 AM, jus1973 said:

I have that Ghostbusters HQ and all you need to have in order to put it in your city is a 16 by 32 plate i.e. from the pet store or the first modular. It fits perfectly. I would not try to modify it at all. Beautiful work to @koalayummies

Hi! @koalayummies

I really like this moc you made! I just got the original set, and I want to try your moc, but all the interior images are broken on this post. Do you think you could re-upload them or do you have an instruction of any kind? Much appreciated!

Edited by rocxfire