Xon67

Assembling the TRAAAAAAAAAAIIIIINN!

This is a project I started as part of the Assembling Bricksburg topic in the LEGO Town forum.  @lostdriveway brought it up as something to re-create from the movie and @Electricsteam suggested I post it here in the train forum.  So, now that it's done, here it is:

34998362585_900b1f8a0a_c.jpg

As far as I can tell, none of the cars on this train use bogies.  Even if they did have bogies, the details on the side of the cars would prevent any of them from turning.  All of the buffers are brick built.

I'll post more pics soon of the other side of the engine and the other cars--all except for the caboose--the movie never shows it clearly and I can't find any other good references for it.

Edited by Xon67

Xon 67, please do so!!!

I loosely followed the "Assembling Bricksburg" thread in the town forum - this is exactly what LEGO is about: Crazy enough to be judged as such, but so unbelievable accurate - and most importantly - breathtakingly motivating. And: There is absolutely nothing wrong with no bogies when there is only straight track.

Keep on this really astounding work of recreating a virtual world - in "real" bricks! An LXF (or the like) file is just that: A direct route to the real thing.

All the best,
Thorsten 

@Toastie  Thanks for the kind comment!  I think it would be great to physically build everything I create in LDD, but I would need another house to fit it all!

@lostdriveway  There's more coming soon!

Edited by Xon67

@Actor Builder  Thanks, A.B.!

Here's the left side of the engine.  We never see it in the movie, but thanks to the video game, we know what it looks like!

34155151514_073c4c6102_c.jpg

Very nice! You also seem to be able to operate the flex tool in LDD :grin:!
The proportions of this are wildly out of course, but nonetheless it would be interesting to try and build it in real life. (I'm not going to, I don't have nearly enough parts or money to get them!) (Second thought: are all the parts actually available in those colours?)
I suspect a solution of double-hinged technic liftarms could be used to get the front 'bogie' to swivel around between the details etc.

@ColletArrow. Thanks!  There certainly are a lot of hoses on this, aren't there?  If I didn't know how to use the flex tool before doing this, I sure did afterwards!  It took a bit of trial and error, but I managed to get everything to go where I wanted it to go.

I haven't checked if all the parts are available in the colors used here.  My main goal was to reproduce what's shown on the screen without worrying so much about a physical build.  I feel that most of these parts exist in these colors, or at least similar shades of gray/black.

Ooh, asymmetrical! Very nice! Was the track black in the movie as well? (good work on the bridge, too - your attention to detail is amazing!)

@ColletArrow Thanks!  All of the greeblies are very asymmetrical, but you can't see it in the movie.  It takes looking at the video game to see both sides of the engine.  Yes, the track is black in the movie.

P.S. You'll be seeing more of the bridge later!

@TechnicRCRacer. The boiler is interesting--the bottom of it is studs down.  As far as I can tell, everything from the boiler up is "floating" and isn't actually attached.

Here's the tender.

35335262695_d371936626_c.jpg

Edited by Xon67

Here's the boxcar.

35453839916_a97a4b01ff_c.jpg

Coming up next:  the logging car.

That's actually a nice design for the car, although what looks like a fuel tank underneath is of course completely unnecessary if one were to build it IRL. That appears to be the only random, out-of-place detail on this surprisingly 'normal' wagon.

The freight cars are great, especially the box car with the weathering effect. The tank under the second car might be an overdimensioned tank for pressurised air. The air is used to release the brakes on the car when there is no air hose connected to a loc, for expample during shunting. During normal operation the brakes are designed to be fail-safe, so when a coupler brakes the hose also breaks and the air pressure falls, then the train comes to an emergency stop.

@ColletArrow @Stefaneris  That's some great info!  I didn't realize that.  I just thought the designers used the same chassis on the logging car as they used on the boxcar.  Thanks for sharing!

Here's my last image for this topic--the bridge with the train crossing it:

35739372436_77e7ef33b4_c.jpg

Edited by Xon67