Hello,

I've always been a fan of legos. My favorite set of all time has to be the 8880 Super Car.  I purchased this set and assembled it as a grad student at Michigan State University.  I learned far more about real cars in the process then I ever expected to.  Then soon there after came a job, kids, etc. and I had zero free time.  I'm now in a lower stress job, my kids are off to college and a friend pointed out the LEGO Ideas 21309 NASA Apollo Saturn V set soon to be released that I'm hoping to get.  But all this has rekindled the joy I had putting the 8880 Super Car together.  It had 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel independent suspension.  In many ways it's drive train seems to be more complex then all the super cars I've read about since.  This MOC kit seems like one of the nicest I've read about:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-2811/NKubate/predator-supercar/#bi

But I was curious what others thought was the best Super Car out there, official kit or MOC.  Also if I end up going after an MOC like this one, what is the best way to get all the pieces.  I see the directions are for sale but getting all the parts sounds more complicated then putting the model together.

Thanks, Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Nathanael's Predator is an excellent car to build considering he is a former designer for the LEGO Technic team and his model follows all of the guidelines that are expected from an official model..

The best place to get parts from is www.bricklink.com or you can also order them from LEGO's Bricks & Pieces section on their Shop-at-Home page..

Edited by Paul Boratko

Since he's to humble to mention them, any of Paul Boratko's cars (link)  is an awesome, mind-blowing build. Or if you are interested in more than supercars, anything built by Madoca is great.

The best place to buy parts is, without doubt, BrickLink. Another place for sets/parts is ebay     but be cautious, as you might end up with fake, Chinese rip-off Lego.

Nathanael Kuiper's concept car would be top of my list. However, it needs some rather rare and expensive parts. I'd go with Pauls vampire GT or Didumos69's rugged supercar. I can also highly recommend anything by Madoca. :classic: 

It's possible now to buy Porshe 42056 for ~ 200 Euros. It is cool set, especially after modification from Didumos. :)

And Paul Boratko aka Crowkillers created excellent MOC based on 42056 - see Scorpion CK-R Supercar

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

A few maybe less pretentious cars that can serve as a great first coming-back-to-Technic experience:

1. Concept car of Nathanael Kuipers:

After building a lot of supercars i would second this one - not the most features, not the most oustanding never seen feature but IMHO one of the best (if not THE best) building experience i ever had - Nathanel has IMHO the most elegant and professional building style (this incl. all TLG-designer!) - a cit. of Antoine Saint-Excupery probably describes it best: "Perfection obviously does not arise, If you have nothing to add, but when you can not take anything away". - and this is the style of Nathanael - you have always the feeling that really each part he has used is the best possible solution and exactly this part MUST be used here - and there is no part too much - can not describe it better...

Here is thre EB-topic for this car and my praising:

Just see this pic and you know what i mean - it's quite jaw dropping when you see the gearbox-module smoothly falling into its place....

There is also a convertible variant of this car:

So even this car is quite old and even there are some other very good supercars out there i would still rate this one - together with the following Predator (s.b.) - as the best - or the primus inter pares...

1. Predator of Nathanael Kuipers:

The Predator of Nathanael is also in my Top-3 ranking and on par with the concept car: a really unique and nifty gearbox, a top of the notch front-axle layout, a very realistic sport-car layout with engine in front of rear axle and transmission behind rear axle (as many real cars), wich is AFAIK quite unique for lego supercars and really very well done panneling - and of course again an exellent building experience, a real pleasure to put together: http://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-2811/NKubate/predator-supercar/ - But "an exellent building experience, a real pleasure to put togehter" is valid for all of Nathanaels models.

Here a two very well elaborated reviews of this model:

https://rebrickable.com/blog/94/review-nathanael-kuipers-predator-supercar-moc/

3. Porsche 42056 by Lego and modded by @Didumos69, @jb70 and @DayWalker:

And not to forget the Porsche 42056 but not in the retail version but in a highly improved version: http://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8003/jb70/42056-pimp-up-my-porsche/

The following two MODs added to this Porsche package and you get IMHO a gorgeous looking model which greatly resembles the real car, with cool and reliable working mechanics, a cool gearbox, a stiff chassis, a quite modular build and a really great building experiance...

Summary

So currently these three cars (Concept car, Predator and Porsche GT3RS 42056 MOD) are my Top-3 of supercars because IMHO all of them are on TLG-level concerning rigidity, robustness, building style and all of them have something outstanding and unique - but i have to admit: i have not build the Scorpion of Paul Boratko (crowkiller), the BMW 328 Hommage of Jeroen Ottens and the Hammerhead of Didumos69 but they are on my next Todo-list... and i have high hopes for all of them: Could be that i have to re-rank my current Top-3 of supercars - well, we will see ;-)

For my whole posting please have in mind: It is just IMHO!

PS: of course there are some more very well designed supercars of not mentioned builders out there which are of course very good too and absolutely worth of building (e.g. Simple supercar of Lipko which looks also gorgeous and has a typical Lipko-style stiffness ;-)

PPS: i have intentionally not mentioned the gorgeous looking and also excellent designed models of Madoca because his models are IMHO not supercars in the original sense of this term - mostly because they are all missing a gearbox...

Edited by Kumbbl

Nathaniel's car is simply the best when we look at models that have engine in front of rear axle and transmission beg+hind rear axle like most of the sports cars (with rear engine) have; of course instead of Lamborghini and Porsche as most known brands and other less known... Transmission especially is particularly interesting and its functionality is something that is most similar to real cars so far seen in mocs. Big thumb up for Nathaniel :thumbup:

Maybe not the best set regarding gearbox , driveline and all that fancy stuff , but 8070 has great functions selection and provides a lot of red parts It should be a good base to MODs and MOCs too. Still, I don't think you will find a set that will beat 8880 , newest sets are obsolete and quite boring. Regarding MOC supercars , the Concept Car is one of the best in my opinion.

Hello,

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the information everyone.  It is really appreciated.

Carl

All,

Just learned about let set 42083, the Bugatti Chiron.  It sure looks nice.  I'll likely be picking this up in the near future.

Which got me thinking... is there a list of the OFFICIAL LEGO Super Cars out there?  I found this that lists just 7 but I know there are more then that.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Technic/tag-Super-Car

By the way, what is the difference between set 853 and 956.  The piece count differs by 2 but they appear identical.

Thanks,

Carl

15 hours ago, wwwmwww said:

All,

Just learned about let set 42083, the Bugatti Chiron.  It sure looks nice.  I'll likely be picking this up in the near future.

Which got me thinking... is there a list of the OFFICIAL LEGO Super Cars out there?  I found this that lists just 7 but I know there are more then that.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Technic/tag-Super-Car

By the way, what is the difference between set 853 and 956.  The piece count differs by 2 but they appear identical.

Thanks,

Carl

http://technicopedia.com/cars.html

Technicopedia by Blakbird is a great resource.

IMO you need to break down by category.  For instance RC or manual is not really comparable.  Esthetics is also a personal preference which may or may not matter to you.

Having built well over a dozen supercars including some mentioned above my personal favourite overall is @DugaldIC Aston Martin Vantage GT3 which excels in many areas.

There are other great builders out there which haven't been mentioned and some builders who are exceptional in certain areas.

You need to find what appeals to you the most and start with that.