Inthert

[MOC] UT-60D U-wing (minifigure scale...ish)

This has been my main project pretty much since Rogue One came out way back last December and I'm glad to say its finally done! My main goal with this was to make a U-wing that is closer to the actual size it appears in the movie and to have a cockpit that's connected to the troop bay unlike on the Lego set. In these respects I think its successful but I think it still needs some work, especially in fixing the proportions which were off from the beginning due to the wing design I chose. However, for now at least I'm just happy to call this finished but I'll no doubt return to it sometime! :grin:

I have to say a big thanks to Kit Bricksto who let me use his great cockpit area design but also gave me lots of advise throughout the build once we both realised we had been working on our own U-wings. Sadly he hasn't finished his but you can checkout a WIP photo of it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kit_bricksto/34815561821/in/dateposted/

U-Wing (1)

More pictures and info about the build is up on Flickr.

Any and all comments on the build are very welcome especially ideas for improvements! 

Nice build and color usage...I always like when we AFOLers tend to make things seem more "used and battle worn" instead of one flat color. My only wish is that LEGO would've made a large cockpit glass piece for their U-Wing to use in MOCs.

Wow wonderful ! I love the color scheme :) Any chance to see some breakdown picture or an LDD file to see how to build this beauty ?

Ramses25

Beautiful build! The addition of all the tan and gray pieces to mimic damage is great, it looks a lot like a Rebellion ship now. :thumbup: How sturdy are those engines?

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:48 AM, gcanik said:

Nice build and color usage...I always like when we AFOLers tend to make things seem more "used and battle worn" instead of one flat color. My only wish is that LEGO would've made a large cockpit glass piece for their U-Wing to use in MOCs.

Thanks! Yeah, that would be good if a cockpit screen existed. I suppose the closest one would be the UCS X-wing canopy, I've seen a few other people use that one but I just prefer using bars myself :)

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, Ramses25 said:

Wow wonderful ! I love the color scheme :) Any chance to see some breakdown picture or an LDD file to see how to build this beauty ?

Ramses25

Thank you! No breakdown pictures or LDD at the moment I'm afraid, I'll try and get something together though :)

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, mrcngrck said:

love this

Thanks!

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Beautiful build! The addition of all the tan and gray pieces to mimic damage is great, it looks a lot like a Rebellion ship now. :thumbup: How sturdy are those engines?

Thank you! It was just going to be all pristine white bricks but it just didn't look right, glad you like how it turned out! The engines are fairly sturdy, the main white cylinder is firmly connected via plates stacked on their sides and SNOT bricks looked in-between the layers of plates. Its the grey sections on ether end that aren't quite as strong but they very rarely fall off unless they're knocked.

Even the hint that you may put somthing out resembling instructions puts a smile on my face. Somthing to look forward to. Thanks for being such an awesome builder. Can't get enough of your builds. This is definitly my favourite u wing.

Hello!

This is an awesome build, the proportions look perfect. I agree with Leonardo the touches of tan and gray are fantastic! The smoothness of the build adds to it's brilliant looks.

Kind regards, Ellis.

Glorious! way to blow set 75155 out of the water, can't wait to see instructions on your Flickr if you chose to make them, i'm currently in the progress of building your T-65 x wing design thank you for sharing your incredible mocs!

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, roadstermatt said:

very nice u-wing

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, Ellisss_2 said:

Hello!

This is an awesome build, the proportions look perfect. I agree with Leonardo the touches of tan and gray are fantastic! The smoothness of the build adds to it's brilliant looks.

Kind regards, Ellis.

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:05 PM, LEGORACER1 said:

That is amazing! love it! Way better than the set.

Thanks so much Everyone! 

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, olympicknight12 said:

Even the hint that you may put somthing out resembling instructions puts a smile on my face. Somthing to look forward to. Thanks for being such an awesome builder. Can't get enough of your builds. This is definitly my favourite u wing.

May not be for a while I'm sorry to say, I hope it will be worth the wait! :grin: Thanks so much!

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:01 AM, UncleOwen said:

Glorious! way to blow set 75155 out of the water, can't wait to see instructions on your Flickr if you chose to make them, i'm currently in the progress of building your T-65 x wing design thank you for sharing your incredible mocs!

I may not be able to do full-blown instructions, at least not how I've done all my previous ones anyway. I think a series of breakdown pictures will be more likely. I'd love to see the X-wing when you finish it! Thanks so much!

UPDATE: Full step by step instructions are now available for free on my Flickr (see sample page bellow). Still no parts list I'm sorry to say but hopefully these instructions prove useful, both to those looking for a complete copy of my design or else taking general inspiration. In either case, Enjoy! :grin:

36232594242_acb9fe33a3_k.jpgU-wing Instructions (5) by Inthert, on Flickr

Thank you a lot Inthert ! I think It will be my next great scale MOC ;) I hope to be able to build this one day ;)

Ramses25

11 hours ago, tfcrafter said:

Just found this thread! Amazing instructions and design!

Here's my version with Cassian's livery.

36467787755_bac7cba029_z.jpg

Love this color scheme. Makes it look less "truck-like."

I built your model on LDD, and I plan to build it in Cassian's U-Wing livery too. Just have to create à part list and order them !

Ramses25

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, Ramses25 said:

I built your model on LDD, and I plan to build it in Cassian's U-Wing livery too. Just have to create à part list and order them !

Ramses25

Awesome! can't wait to see it :D

Ramses, Is there anyway you could post the LDD file so we can get a parts list?

Edited by Schneeds

11 hours ago, Schneeds said:

Ramses, Is there anyway you could post the LDD file so we can get a parts list?

Here it is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ei5z4h1412nxnu/UT-60D U-Wing.lxf?dl=0
You will see that there is a lot of modifications from the original design, especially the wings. I will use the difference between new and used parts to giv the weathered look of the ship.

Ramses25

23 minutes ago, Ramses25 said:

Here it is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ei5z4h1412nxnu/UT-60D U-Wing.lxf?dl=0
You will see that there is a lot of modifications from the original design, especially the wings. I will use the difference between new and used parts to giv the weathered look of the ship.

Ramses25

Hmm. I'm getting an error uploading to Bricklink that a part (No. 24246) is not within their catalog.

Upload directly a LDD file to bricklink doesn't work. I have to make a brickstock part-list before.

Ramses25

1 hour ago, Ramses25 said:

Upload directly a LDD file to bricklink doesn't work. I have to make a brickstock part-list before.

Ramses25

Got it. I'm still pretty new to this, so I appreciate the follow-up.

Hey! That’s my fave starship, made by my fave builder, right there! ?The instructions are awesome, the are easy too. Thanks for doing them! By the way, is it minifig scale?

Edited by Star wars lego guy