Captain Genaro

[GBW]-Supporting the War Effort-Filace-Mail Call

World Map F7, Studica Map F3. Comments and Criticism are Welcome. 

Leaning against a guard rail along the edge of the highway, Ryan took one last puff on his cigarette before crushing it beneath his heel. It was hard enough being stationed towards the front, at least fifty miles from the nearest town, but what really got to him and most of the other soldiers was being away from their friends and families. Phones were strictly prohibited and there was no internet connection in the middle of nowhere, so mail day was the one day of the week anxiously awaited by all. And the men of the 109th Artillery were especially eager to receive letters from home since constant artillery barrages from Briolui prevented the mail from getting through the last two weeks. This time would be different, Ryan and his comrades hoped. Troop movements in other sectors seemed to occupy the Brioluian artillery which left the artillery positions free to receive their mail. 

"You know, those things will kill you," the newly minted Corporal Rodgers noted as he walked over to his friend. Just three days ago, it had been Private Rodgers until an enemy attack resulted in some unfilled leadership spots.

"Geeze, thanks, Mom" Private Ryan retorted with a friendly punch. "But if you're so worried about my health, perhaps you should get me assigned to the General Staff."

"Nah, not that concerned," replied Rodgers. There was a brief pause before he continued. "You think it's gonna come through today?" 

"It better, I'm pretty sure O'Hara will explode if he doesn't get something from his girl today." 

"Yeah, poor guy. Drafted just a week before his wedding."

34842040981_f3e7a60bcb_c.jpgMail Call by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Before Ryan could continue, they heard the distant rumble of an approaching MRAP, and without waiting for another second, they both began sprinting back to their position. Unless it was some officer making a surprise inspection, the only reason an MRAP would be traveling along the highway was for the mail. Of course, as fast as they were, they were no match for the Centaur and it quickly zoomed passed them and turned off the highway by their position. "I think we're in luck" a Rodgers shouted between breaths as they continued to sprint.

34974210515_6a414c92d5_c.jpgMail Call by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

It only took Ryan and Rodgers a few minutes to reach the MRAP, but by that time the mailman, a reservist based on his uniform, was already surrounded by soldiers anxious for something from home. "3rd Platoon, C Company" the men repeated with increasing enthusiasm, as if saying it enough times would reduce the time it took for the mailman to find the stack of letters and packages for 3rd Platoon, C Company. "Just a minute, just a minute" the mailman muttered as he searched the sack.

34131459974_23a35e0289_c.jpgMail Call by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

But before the mailman could find the stack, a shrill siren pierced the air. All the men froze where they were, and after a brief moment of disappointment, they ran to man their stations. By now, after weeks of training and combat, the motions came secondhand to most of the men; you hear the radio go off, you run to your station. "Oh well," Ryan thought as he manned his station at the electronic aiming and targeting system (EATS). "I've waited 19 days for letters, I guess a few more hours." Besides, it was rather funny to see the mailman dive for cover behind, of all places, a crate of mortar shells.

34586724270_3abb855260_c.jpgMail Call by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Alpha-Hotel sector... range 8.53 miles... cluster shells" the Sargent called, only pausing as he to confirm the instructions with the commander on the other end of the radio. "5.2 points West by South-West... FIRE!" 

34842254811_f712fd4a66_c.jpgMail Call by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Overview shots: 

34842283931_530cc802ae_c.jpgMail Call by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

34131693824_915bedc458_c.jpgMail Call by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Love how you dug in the artillery like that with the wooden planks. I've been wanting to do that for some time but haven't had the right chance to yet. 

The MRAP vehicle is very good, as it is cammo pattern. The gun is very well detailed, and the modified bricks to simulate the wood trunks in the trench is another good detail. The mortar is another good example of what can be done with simple parts.

Even I am not fan of yellow faces, you made them look very nice. And the whole theme is similar to mine as you noticed before, but i like much better how the two levels of the ground are separated . Well done!!!  

On 5/29/2017 at 4:51 PM, Thebeeze111 said:

Love how you dug in the artillery like that with the wooden planks. I've been wanting to do that for some time but haven't had the right chance to yet. 

Glad you like it. It's a pretty easy technique, but it sure looks good.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:48 PM, sigpro said:

The MRAP vehicle is very good, as it is cammo pattern. The gun is very well detailed, and the modified bricks to simulate the wood trunks in the trench is another good detail. The mortar is another good example of what can be done with simple parts.

Thank you very much. I love to create things with basic parts, and it goes to show that you don't need the biggest collection to create neat designs.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:15 AM, paintballman said:

Even I am not fan of yellow faces, you made them look very nice. And the whole theme is similar to mine as you noticed before, but i like much better how the two levels of the ground are separated . Well done!!!  

We'll have to agree to disagree on yellow vs. fleshie. Thank you for your compliment. 

You've Been Awarded (4) Point(s):

Judges Comments (not all judges comment):

Great Job! The artillery piece is very nicely done (I may steal some of these ideas for future use). The wooden pole dugout is a great design and you pulled it off quite well. Keep it up!    

I've done this wall idea myself, not as easy as people think.  You sized it well and it looks well done.  Lots of plant life, dirt, rocks, details.  Good howitzer build.  Figs look well equipped, great job!

You can Update your AAR Post with your points to keep track.

Thanks for Playing!