What kind of a competition would you like to see?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of a competition would you like to see?

• Purist competition with no third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • Purist competition with no third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • Purist competition with no third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • Two additional functions besides drving and steering are allowed (this will limit the amount of PF channels)
    • Two additional functions besides drving and steering are not allowed
    • Models should be limited by scale or size
    • Models should be limited by minimum weight
    • There should be size or weight limits
    • A bare chassis is ok for me
    • Models should have some minimum paneling
    • There should be a system of points in place in order to reward good looking models
    • Track should be straight and flat
    • Track should be full of turns
    • Track should have some ascends and descends
    • Track should have some slight bumps and obstacles
    • Track should have all of the above
    • All models should have the same pre-built chassis
    • Models should be at least 75% technic
    • I want to join a competition event and race with others on the track (multiple racers at once)
    • I want to set up a predetermined track at home, record the model and post results online

Just now, AkiyamaWataru said:

I have a few question for the Track-Definition:

• Will the standard 50cm be a minimum value? so the track might be wider at certain areas?
  • How do you determine the radius of a corner? Inner Radius or Outer Radius or Middle of the Track Radius?

I think track can be wider, but not narrower than that

Radius is determined by middle, so your model should be quite maneuverable.

Just now, Zero (Zblj) said:

Radius is determined by middle, so your model should be quite maneuverable.

So it might happen we have to go through hairpin curves?

Just now, AkiyamaWataru said:

So it might happen we have to go through hairpin curves?

Might be an option, yeah. I am in the process of building my own car to test the rules in order to see if they are ok, or too strict.

Just now, Zero (Zblj) said:

Might be an option, yeah. I am in the process of building my own car to test the rules in order to see if they are ok, or too strict.

For me it is to strict.... I'm 4 studs to wide with my front axle....

So to clarify this rule:

11 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Third and fourth functions are allowed as long as they don't directly help with driving - you can use it for switching gears, adjusting suspension, relasing springs for boost etc...

It means that you can use other functions as long as they are not powering the wheels - correct?

11 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

I'd say no third party rubber bands allowed, since they can be used for a boost feature and would allow for unfair advantage to others.

Good point!

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

If the track is determined, are RCP tracks allowed?

What are RCP tracks?

12 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

For me it is to strict.... I'm 4 studs to wide with my front axle....

I thought you said this was just a concept? i do not think the rules should be adjusted to concepts that were made ahead of the rules, especially when you are warned for this... (I do not want to sound harsh but this was the risk you took when building too soon)

Edited by Marxpek

13 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

I'd say no third party rubber bands allowed, since they can be used for a boost Like I said before, I'd say no third party rubber bands allowed, since they can be used for a boost feature and would allow for unfair advantage to others.

I understand your point about a boost system, but I don't see how banning 3rd party bands will stop people from making a boost system with lego rubber bands?

14 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

a boost feature

Since we are discussing this: does the boost system has to be on the car? i mean can we build a static launch system at the start line?

2 hours ago, Marxpek said:

I thought you said this was just a concept? i do not think the rules should be adjusted to concepts that were made ahead of the rules, especially when you are warned for this... (I do not want to sound harsh but this was the risk you took when building too soon)

I have to think about how I get the concept smaller. And that's why I said its to strict :wink: I will have to start over again with the front axle.....

5 hours ago, Marxpek said:

i do not think the rules should be adjusted to concepts that were made ahead of the rules, especially when you are warned for this...

Agreed, rules come first - not concepts.

5 hours ago, Epic Technic said:

I understand your point about a boost system, but I don't see how banning 3rd party bands will stop people from making a boost system with lego rubber bands?

Because non-Lego rubber bands are much bigger and stretchier.

5 hours ago, Marxpek said:

Since we are discussing this: does the boost system has to be on the car? i mean can we build a static launch system at the start line?

Why is that needed? Real cars don't have boosters...

26 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

Agreed, rules come first - not concepts.

Because non-Lego rubber bands are much bigger and stretchier.

Why is that needed? Real cars don't have boosters...

Boost is not required, was just an example for third and fourth function.

6 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Boost is not required, was just an example for third and fourth function.

Oh I see, I thought all boost functions were banned.

14 minutes ago, legotechnicisawesome said:

Is it a competition with prizes?

As this is a user hosted competition, I would say it is very unlikely for there to be prizes.

Has anyone actually contacted a mod or admin about the poll issues?

45 minutes ago, Epic Technic said:

As this is a user hosted competition, I would say it is very unlikely for there to be prizes.

Has anyone actually contacted a mod or admin about the poll issues?

I have and letsbuild has.

Hey,

I like this :thumbup:

So I'll probably jump into this competition as well. It all looks great and I like the vehicle requirements. Something that I am not sure about, however, is the track requirements. They are way too specific and seem as if we have to do way too much work for the track itself. We should focus on the vehicles. Speaking for those who live in densely populated city areas, making and utilizing a track of this size and complexity is no easy feat. 

I am going to go ahead and assume at least a few people here saw the online truck trial competition video that me, White Shapes, Samorak and a few others had a while back: here

The requirements for the vehicles themselves were about equally as specific as the ones we have for this comp, but there was essentially no limit to the track. This made it much easier to plan and film and also provided leeway for us to be somewhat experimental and showcase specific traits of our vehicles. 

I feel that that competition was planned and executed very well (credit to Samorak’s Technic Vehicles) and turned out to be a lot of fun. If we put too many rules on this comp, including forcing people to buy materials and assemble an entire track layout, this comp will be less about creativity and innovation and more about work and skirting the rules.

All I am saying is that the track requirements are too specific. We can certainly ask in the requirements of the comp for like a clip of it doing a 90 degree left turn and another of it going full throttle on a 3 ft straightaway; in fact, I think this is a great idea. But having us literally make a large track is unnecessarily laborious as well as quite impossible in some of the places that people here live.

Sorry for shaking things up.

27 minutes ago, PunkTacoNYC said:

the track requirements. They are way too specific and seem as if we have to do way too much work for the track itself. We should focus on the vehicles. Speaking for those who live in densely populated city areas, making and utilizing a track of this size and complexity is no easy feat. 

If we put too many rules on this comp, including forcing people to buy materials and assemble an entire track layout, this comp will be less about creativity and innovation and more about work and skirting the rules.

All I am saying is that the track requirements are too specific. We can certainly ask in the requirements of the comp for like a clip of it doing a 90 degree left turn and another of it going full throttle on a 3 ft straightaway; in fact, I think this is a great idea. But having us literally make a large track is unnecessarily laborious as well as quite impossible in some of the places that people here live.

I agree, we should focus on the vehicles, not how to race/demonstrate them.

Really, any video that shows the vehicle's speed, handling, and overall performance should be enough.   

Take the video of my drift racer - it's simple, shows what it can do, and that's all! 

Edited by mocbuild101

4 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I agree, we should focus on the vehicles, not how to race/demonstrate them.

Really, any video that shows the vehicle's speed, handling, and overall performance should be enough.   

Take the video of my drift racer - it's simple, shows what it can do, and that's all! 

Exactly my thoughts! The main reason I dropped out was because of the track setup/rules.

3 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Exactly my thoughts! The main reason I dropped out was because of the track setup/rules.

Yes, great. Hopefully ZBLJ will be on board.

I was also considering a formula car chasis with an electric drivetrain for a racing series. But the slowness of lego electric engines and the short lifespan of batteries are serious limitations.

Just now, nicjasno said:

But the slowness of lego electric engines and the short lifespan of batteries are serious limitations.

That's only with very large models (like you make), so don't put us off using them...

Imho the track is a great idea, if people just show videos of performance we can't judge correctly because these won't be the same tests. It's not the same racing a track and just showing how a car can turn. While racing you need to take care about speed ups and slow downs (one needs to stop accelerating when entering a curve and accelerate when exiting). 

Just my two cents

Just now, LXF said:

Imho the track is a great idea, if people just show videos of performance we can't judge correctly because these won't be the same tests. It's not the same racing a track and just showing how a car can turn. While racing you need to take care about speed ups and slow downs (one needs to stop accelerating when entering a curve and accelerate when exiting). 

Just my two cents

I see your point, but how do you expect people to set up the exact same track when not everyone has the space?