What kind of a competition would you like to see?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of a competition would you like to see?

• Purist competition with no third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • Purist competition with no third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • Purist competition with no third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • Two additional functions besides drving and steering are allowed (this will limit the amount of PF channels)
    • Two additional functions besides drving and steering are not allowed
    • Models should be limited by scale or size
    • Models should be limited by minimum weight
    • There should be size or weight limits
    • A bare chassis is ok for me
    • Models should have some minimum paneling
    • There should be a system of points in place in order to reward good looking models
    • Track should be straight and flat
    • Track should be full of turns
    • Track should have some ascends and descends
    • Track should have some slight bumps and obstacles
    • Track should have all of the above
    • All models should have the same pre-built chassis
    • Models should be at least 75% technic
    • I want to join a competition event and race with others on the track (multiple racers at once)
    • I want to set up a predetermined track at home, record the model and post results online

9 hours ago, Epic Technic said:

No, as ZBLJ said, let's keep it power functions.

Yes, I agree that one of the main rules should be "only PF"

Edited by mocbuild101

@mocbuild101 let ZBLJ speak please.  

Also , my 9v batteries last almost the same as AA batteries. The problem is , that my rechargeable Ni-Zn batteries give 1.6v each with 2500mah totalling a very powerful 9.6v against a normal 9v. That's why I thought that using a 9v battery would be better than using my Ni-Zns.

1 hour ago, LXF said:

@mocbuild101 let ZBLJ speak please.  

It's only my opinion :hmpf_bad:.

1 hour ago, LXF said:

Also , my 9v batteries last almost the same as AA batteries. The problem is , that my rechargeable Ni-Zn batteries give 1.6v each with 2500mah totalling a very powerful 9.6v against a normal 9v. That's why I thought that using a 9v battery would be better than using my Ni-Zns.

Yes, but it still would reduce the weight a lot - which would allow for higher (and faster) gearing of the motors.

And also, it needs modifying to be used - meaning it's not a purist solution. 

Technically there's no modified pieces. And the weight difference is of 20-30 gramms , not that much having in mind I can only use 2x m-motors to drive...

35083205826_8daf24aa3b_n.jpg34278472374_3c8d2abaee_n.jpg

You Sirs and Ladies, triggered my brain. I'm working aswell on a car for this 'contest'. But i have issues with the framing :/ But this is always a problem for me.

I'm building a car, though my lack of parts is a bit of a pain. I don't have small balljoint components for small scale suspension or steering mechanisms, I might have to get another Technic set. 13 wide axles, 4 42mm wheels, and 2 PF m motors, one for steering and another for drive. I think it'd be a good idea to provide updated technic building resources for steering and drive mechanisms, and provide a standardized chassis for less experienced builders to build around and base their designs.  How are tracks going to be built? I'm thinking you could use double sided tape and foam pipe insulation, similar to how scale RC tracks are constructed. 

Edited by Lego Dino 500

5 hours ago, Lego Dino 500 said:

How are tracks going to be built? I'm thinking you could use double sided tape and foam pipe insulation, similar to how scale RC tracks are constructed.

I don't even know if we are going to use tracks like that...

16 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I think we should wait for the poll (that works), so that other members can decide.

I really do not understand why so many people are already designing and building, we have no idea if and when this contest will start, let alone what the rules will be, you could be building something that is not allowed in the contest later on... (still a fun process of course)

I see people are eager to participate here, but patience might be best until the rules are set?

5 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

I really do not understand why so many people are already designing and building, we have no idea if and when this contest will start, let alone what the rules will be, you could be building something that is not allowed in the contest later on... (still a fun process of course)

I see people are eager to participate here, but patience might be best until the rules are set?

My thoughts exactly :wink:.

I can't wait to start building! - but I'm waiting for the rules...

But one could build a concept. This concept could later be adopted to the rules. And in Motorsports the development starts aswell before the rules got carved into stone.

5 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

But one could build a concept. This concept could later be adopted to the rules. And in Motorsports the development starts aswell before the rules got carved into stone.

like i mentioned, the process is fun and it might work anyway, but i like to know all details before i design, so i can design it the right way from the ground up based upon the set rules,

The type of track is most important for me here, for example: what if you design a low body car and then there is a speed bump added to the track, just to make it more challenging? or maybe the car has to do a hairpin turn on a 40 cm wide track, maybe that track is 60cm wide and doesn't have a hairpin, many more variables, influencing (my) design.

I'm not saying you should not build and design, far from it, if you enjoy it, do it! Only saying that I will wait for the rules, until then i will be working on another project (inspired by this)

I just ghave free time , and I test how fast and how maneuverable my prototypes are. 

5 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

That makes sense, but I do agree with @Marxpek.

4 hours ago, Marxpek said:

until then i will be working on another project (inspired by this)

So am I... as my signature currently shows :wink:.

13 hours ago, Marxpek said:

like i mentioned, the process is fun and it might work anyway, but i like to know all details before i design, so i can design it the right way from the ground up based upon the set rules

+1 I have learned from my previous attempt:laugh:

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply, had a busy week :wacko:

Here's the final draft for the rules:

• Max wheels to be used are 62.4 ones to keep models in small scale
  • Max width of the cars 25 studs (20 cm) - in order to be able to overtake each other on the track and to keep models small
  • Use any PF motor in any quantity
  • Use any PF power source - AA battery box provides higher voltage, Li-po voltage is lower, but so is its weight
  • Third and fourth functions are allowed as long as they don't directly help with driving - you can use it for switching gears, adjusting suspension, relasing springs for boost etc...
  • Models should use classical steering, but additional torque vectoring on the drive wheels is allowed
  • Sbrick is allowed
  • Only 100% unmodified Lego is allowed, no modifying, gluing, etc, only exception being Sbrick and third party string
  • No bare chassis allowed
  • Seperate points for aesthetics - the better the looking the model, the higher distance from start the model can be placed ahead (open to voting on forums)

For track I was planning to post the idea of:

• Having a standard width of the track 50 cm
  • Track should include at least one 2 meter long straight - fast models will have advantage here
  • Corners should be made with radius of 50 cm - agile models will have advantage here
  • Largest ascend/descend of 15 degrees - models with high torque will have advantage at ascends
  • Largest straight edge obstacles is 5 milimiters high - models with suspension and AWD will have advantage here
  • Track material should be hard wood, stone or composite, no carpet allowed
  • Track setup will be posted on the forums, so anyone can set up such a track in order to compete remotely

Sound good!

1 minute ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

...they don't directly help with driving - you can use it for switching gears, adjusting suspension, relasing springs for boost etc...

Was that suppose to be "you can't use it for" ?

4 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Only 100% unmodified Lego is allowed, no modifying, gluing, etc, only exception being Sbrick and third party string

What about rubber bands?

Great to see this! looks well thought trough.

2 questions:

3 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Models should use classical steering

what is excluded here? I am not familiar with the term classical steering.

4 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Corners should be made with radius of 50 cm

Inner radius i suppose?

Just now, Marxpek said:
8 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Models should use classical steering

Isn't it just standard rack and pinion steering?

Interesting rules  , surely very unique contest :sweet: 

2 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

Those functions don't help with driving, they activate a mechanism that boosts the car

Just now, LXF said:

Those functions don't help with driving, they activate a mechanism that boosts the car

But it is part of the drive train... and gear shifting would increase performance.

333rd post! :laugh: 

32 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

Sound good!

What about rubber bands?

I'd say no third party rubber bands allowed, since they can be used for a boost feature and would allow for unfair advantage to others.

31 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

Great to see this! looks well thought trough.

2 questions:

Inner radius i suppose?

What I mean is you shouldn't have skid steering only.

27 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

Isn't it just standard rack and pinion steering?

Yes, not just skid steering

25 minutes ago, LXF said:

Interesting rules  , surely very unique contest :sweet: 

Correct, they can activate a pre-tension spring, or such, but not actually drive the drivetrain

21 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

But it is part of the drive train... and gear shifting would increase performance.

333rd post! :laugh: 

Yes you can use third function to shift gears, but not to power the wheels directly

9 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

@Zero (Zblj) Just on question: Rubberbands? Can we use custom Rubber-Bands?

Like I said before, I'd say no third party rubber bands allowed, since they can be used for a boost feature and would allow for unfair advantage to others.

2 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

For track I was planning to post the idea of:

• Having a standard width of the track 50 cm
  • Track should include at least one 2 meter long straight - fast models will have advantage here
  • Corners should be made with radius of 50 cm - agile models will have advantage here
  • Largest ascend/descend of 15 degrees - models with high torque will have advantage at ascends
  • Largest straight edge obstacles is 5 milimiters high - models with suspension and AWD will have advantage here
  • Track material should be hard wood, stone or composite, no carpet allowed
  • Track setup will be posted on the forums, so anyone can set up such a track in order to compete remotely

I have a few question for the Track-Definition:

• Will the standard 50cm be a minimum value? so the track might be wider at certain areas?
  • How do you determine the radius of a corner? Inner Radius or Outer Radius or Middle of the Track Radius?