Tonight's Update:

It has been about three weeks since I updated this thread, and I am sorry for that, but I have accomplished very little in that time because of Independence Day celebrations and travel, changing hours for my job, and then some family stuff... But I have finally had the time to sit down again and continue building, so... ON TO THE UPDATE!

1. The body: It is finished! All the parts are in place, and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. It even has a fake fake engine. (Not a typo, more on this later)

2. The LDD: Coming along well, it will be available either tomorrow or Sunday!

3. A VIDEO! One (or more) will (hopefully) be ready by the end of next week! Why? Because I have never tried to make an edited video before...

4. NOW....

BEHOLD THE BEAST!!!

35235558244_9b52d2e0c4_c.jpgMonster Truck 1

If you don't care for stats, just skip down a ways to the other photos, this part is for the nerds! :wink:

Drive: All-wheel drive by two hard-coupled L-motors initially geared 1:1, then geared down 1.4:1 with a differential.

Steering:  All-wheel steering by a central Servo-motor, connected with U-joints and the sliding Cardan joints to each axle. Unfortunately there is a large amount of slack because of the joints and the steering needing to be geared down 3:5. Even so, it has a very tight turning radius and is still quite fun to drive. It just needs to be corrected every three seconds... :facepalm:

Suspension: Live axles with 5 links and reasonable travel. It is pretty stiff with two hard shocks per axle, but the model is too heavy for softer shocks.

Power: Delivered by 1 AA battery box using rechargeable batteries, to a V2 receiver. The battery box can be replaced easily by removing the body, and then four pins which anchor it to the chassis.

Interior: Virtually nonexistent, it consists of a dashboard with a fake steering wheel, and most of a chair. But you CAN adjust the headrest! :laugh:

The body is entirely separate from the chassis and can be detached at any time by removing four pins hidden in the wheel wells. Any custom body of the same size could be put on this chassis.

I did mange to make the hood open, and I was able to squeeze a fake fake V4 engine inside. No, that is not typo. :wink: It is a fake engine, which is made even more fake by the fact that it is not connected to any motor to make it run, simply because I ran out of space. So it is a fake, fake engine.

As you can probably tell, I have actually taken the time to edit my photos... Here are more!

35942581061_a8b5384f31_c.jpgMonster Truck

This is probably my favorite photo of all the ones I took... It just looks so awesome and intimidating!

36075652845_a995a8e77f_c.jpgMonster Truck

Side view... Yes, I know the sticker reads "Arocs," but I hope you will ignore that.... :grin: There was no other good way to add a door handle. And I liked the way this looked.

36035746926_1d630b2156_c.jpgMonster Truck

35907904862_a1404d6d5b_c.jpgMonster Truck

These photos show some of the suspension flex. It works for this model, but is not quite as good as I was hoping for... It's a bit too stiff.

36077448565_cb1f5b7f96_c.jpgMonster Truck

Lastly, here my shamefully doubly fake engine. :blush:

Thanks to everyone for all your patience while I worked on this project, more photos will come tomorrow, a video will come sometime next week, and you can see more (and bigger) photos of my monster truck in this Flickr album. Please feel free to provide comments and criticism, regardless of your opinion. :wink:

- Leonardo da Bricki

Leo,

Sure it is a Monster...now when my Unimog is finished I can look arround :laugh:.

Looking at your monster on a first sight I thought you run over a potato :grin:when showing flexibility of Monster's suspension (Monster with capital M - it is trucks name :wink:)

Edited by I_Igor

13 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Sure it is a Monster...

Looking at your monster on a first sight I thought you run over a potato :grin:

Thanks! And no, not a potato, just a smooth brown rock. :laugh:

I will have the finalized LDD instructions for both chassis and body available later tonight! Along with more photos!

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

looking at your monster on a first sight I thought you run over a potato!

Me too!

5 hours ago, IA creations said:

The front grille looks badass :D

Thanks! That photo is my favorite view. The front, with all its components, took more time than the rest of the entire body, probably around 8 hours or so total. I don't think I could have done better.

Update: Instructions Are Ready!!!

The Body: As I have stated previously, the body is completely separate from the chassis. It simply slides on top and is then locked in place by four pins. Instructions are here.

35965583471_0f3f3e225f_c.jpgMonster Truck

The Chassis: Again, it is totally independent from the body. The only constraints it places on the body are: 1. Room for the battery box, and 2. Space for the IR receiver. Or S-Brick, if I had one... The chassis instructions are available here.

36097975325_e78c4ceee8_c.jpgMonster Truck

Have fun with the build! :classic:

Photos: Had some time tonight for a long photo shoot. See these photos and a whole lot more on Flickr!

35707808740_c054d97106_c.jpgMonster Truck

35707720400_31250d4858_c.jpgMonster Truck

36057795516_986c132809_c.jpgMonster Truck

35258427624_c4450c33c8_c.jpgMonster Truck

35289324533_02ab0f4fe6_c.jpgMonster Truck

35707487160_8c95f7e58e_c.jpgMonster Truck

35965461391_e48702345b_c.jpgMonster Truck

35258344024_45efb8c1ff_c.jpgMonster Truck

@I_Igor This is for you, my friend: The Potato Special! :wink:

36057516986_1e447ee54e_c.jpgMonster Truck

35258818894_4b714a862a_c.jpgMonster Truck 35289624183_4a20f02ca4_c.jpgMonster Truck

Hope everyone enjoys this build, I will be making a video this week, so watch for that coming soon! Thanks for looking!

- Leonardo da Bricki

4 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Me too!

Well I hope it is no petrified wood gemstone either, otherwise gemstone lovers will put a spell on him :grin:

@Leonardo da Bricki front grill is really great - even color combo is good despite similarities with police cars. About photo quality I could say that @Jim has now serius competition. :thumbup:

And "potato special" is very cool album name, but I wont show it to pesants around here - they all are growing potatos and me as more rice guy do not come along in best way. :laugh:

Just now, I_Igor said:

@Leonardo da Bricki front grill is really great - even color combo is good despite similarities with police cars. About photo quality I could say that @Jim has now serius competition. :thumbup:

And "potato special" is very cool album name, but I wont show it to pesants around here - they all are growing potatos and me as more rice guy do not come along in best way. :laugh:

High praise indeed! But I am NOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY near Jim's level! :grin: As the following photos prove...

20 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Well I hope it is no petrified wood gemstone either, otherwise gemstone lovers will put a spell on him :grin:

Nah, just a chunk of river-smoothed granite. But on that note... :wink:

35930490822_08fc3f7f9e_c.jpgMonster Truck

35709177530_b1c080b663_c.jpgMonster Truck

Now I realize that it is actualy

4 x 4 x 4 x 4 model

4 x 4 - drive

x 4 - steering

x 4 - fake 4 cylinder V configuration engine

It seems like you enjoy being photographer :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

Yes, it is indeed 4x4x4 model. Drives great, one of my favorite builds ever.

I do enjoy photography, and I am trying to improve with every chance I get. But my camera sucks for nighttime photos. :sceptic:

14 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Yes, it is indeed 4x4x4 model. Drives great, one of my favorite builds ever.

I do enjoy photography, and I am trying to improve with every chance I get. But my camera sucks for nighttime photos. :sceptic:

That is most important when Artist is satisfied with his Art. About steering, curently I work on one self propelled sprayer that has also 4 wheel steering. The solution will be with beams to make slack as small as possible. After I develop this I'll try to make it with worm gears to test with power functions...so perhaps could be useful to your Monster :look:

About photos, my anciant Olympus sucks on night and cloudy weather...

9 hours ago, I_Igor said:

That is most important when Artist is satisfied with his Art. About steering, curently I work on one self propelled sprayer that has also 4 wheel steering. The solution will be with beams to make slack as small as possible. After I develop this I'll try to make it with worm gears to test with power functions...so perhaps could be useful to your Monster :look:

Feel free to MOD my Monster in any way! I would love to see what you change. :classic:

33 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Feel free to MOD my Monster in any way! I would love to see what you change. :classic:

I'll see what is possible when I finnish (not Finish) steering for my sprayer...Thanks for permission