Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

The 3 coming sets for the new Disney has a few animals included and why most of them probably are friendsefied the butterflies may be useful. Friends had a part with insects and flowers a few year ago, so it may be a return of that or maybe something new..

The home alone set comes with two small birds without any eye-printing for the first time..

15 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The 3 coming sets for the new Disney has a few animals included and why most of them probably are friendsefied the butterflies may be useful. Friends had a part with insects and flowers a few year ago, so it may be a return of that or maybe something new..

The home alone set comes with two small birds without any eye-printing for the first time..

The sets for Encanta?

A capybara printed on the friends hamster? No, i don’t see it

just like that chima beaver printed on the bigfootmould. 

Edited by Borex

1 hour ago, Borex said:

A capybara printed on the friends hamster? No, i don’t see it

just like that chima beaver printed on the bigfootmould. 

🤮🤮🤮 worst thing ever

A capybara would be brilliant but I don't like the re-use of an existing mould (not really followed the conversation about the hamster above so apologies if I have misunderstood). With the toucan apparently lined up for the next CMF series, I hope for a lot more Amazonian wildlife. I always wanted them to print the original parrot in blue for a macaw - not keen on those dual-mould mish-mash we currently have. A sloth and tapir would be great additions too. I know many people complain about too many 'City' figures in these series. However, I certainly wouldn't complain about new animal moulds, even if the figure itself is just a remake of a wildlife photographer/zoo keeper/explorer/researcher, etc. Some sort of Adventurers figures would also be fairly apt too.

4 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

A capybara would be brilliant but I don't like the re-use of an existing mould (not really followed the conversation about the hamster above so apologies if I have misunderstood). With the toucan apparently lined up for the next CMF series, I hope for a lot more Amazonian wildlife. I always wanted them to print the original parrot in blue for a macaw - not keen on those dual-mould mish-mash we currently have. A sloth and tapir would be great additions too. I know many people complain about too many 'City' figures in these series. However, I certainly wouldn't complain about new animal moulds, even if the figure itself is just a remake of a wildlife photographer/zoo keeper/explorer/researcher, etc. Some sort of Adventurers figures would also be fairly apt too.

Agree with all of that. South America is generally poorly served by Lego representation, and, other than the old printed macaw parrot, the new toucan will (I think) be the only specifically South American animal in city/system. Of course we can utilise monkeys, snakes, spiders, panthers, turtles, etc; but it seems we are long overdue a proper new macaw, sloth and llama at least (would also like to see an armadillo and an iguana happen).

47 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

The lion cub comes in a magazine gift polybag soon :classic:

Nice. More of this please. 

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The lion cub comes in a magazine gift polybag soon :classic:

Gryffindor Dorms GWP, right? Sorry if this sounds dumb to ask!

3 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Gryffindor Dorms GWP, right? Sorry if this sounds dumb to ask!

No, I think he means on a City magazine foil pack 

1 hour ago, williejm said:

No, I think he means on a City magazine foil pack 

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying.

The forthcoming Encanto sets have butterflies in them. I’m not sure if they’re new moulds or re-uses of the Friends one.

5 hours ago, AmperZand said:

The forthcoming Encanto sets have butterflies in them. I’m not sure if they’re new moulds or re-uses of the Friends one.

Look like the same Friends ones - they haven’t used new moulds for the other, more important, animals. Using the Friends hamster as a capybara is an, er, ‘interesting’ choice… 🙄

16 hours ago, AmperZand said:

11 hours ago, williejm said:

Look like the same Friends ones -

I do not think it is the same one :sceptic:

1. the old one came with ladybugs and flowers so they where probably the same "part" (all of them made at the same time and put in a bag)
  2. the old one has a hole in the center, this one do not from the looks of it

:classic:

I mean, I’m not bothered either way as I don’t count them

But investing in a new mould fir them is … interesting 

17 hours ago, williejm said:

Using the Friends hamster as a capybara is an, er, ‘interesting’ choice… 🙄

They probably thought „they‘re both rodents, eh, close enough“ :laugh_hard:

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

They probably thought „they‘re both rodents, eh, close enough“ :laugh_hard:

Fair. That’s how they treat ‘birds’ (see Friends apartment, Sesame St & the Jack+ Beanstalk Bricktober 2021 sets) 

4 hours ago, williejm said:

Fair. That’s how they treat ‘birds’ (see Friends apartment, Sesame St & the Jack+ Beanstalk Bricktober 2021 sets) 

Exactly - wouldn't surprise me. The 'duck' in the Friends apartment is laughable. Why not wait until a duck mould exists or completely omit it from the set?!

I don't know the full ins and outs of LEGO's budgeting for a wave or line, but if the Disney line gets one new parts budget for the year, I feel like a lot of it went into the Raya sets, leaving Encanto short. Those three Raya sets have at least nine new parts plus some plastic-y film and a new cut of cape, and those new parts include four individual creatures plus the dragon head and mouth, while Encanto has just three - two hair pieces and the watering can which might not have even been developed for Encanto specifically.

It is indeed weak calling the hamster a capybara.

The Chinese new year sets are always packed with parts in new colours, lots of minifigs and great sets all around, but animal moulds has never been the strong suit in the theme.
However this time it looks like we are getting a couple of birds in the sets:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-chinese-new-year-2022-sets-revealed/

The first one is the normal small bird ("white sparrow") that is so common in sets now that it is almost not worth mentioning (hopefully we can get a pigeon soon that become just as normal in sets :wink:), the second one is the penguin that is not common at all in sets :wub: I could be wrong since since the pictures are so small so it is hard to see :wacko: What do you think? Do you see other animals there?

Looking at the photos at the end of Hellobrick's article here, I also spot an orange fish in the Ice Festival set. Yay. 

But the ice sculpture that is being made by the lady with the chainsaw, on the right...it's an opalescent trans-light blue penguin! :excited: Not really useful to depict an actual animal, but I like it anyway. 

Edit : given its proportions, I think the ice penguin uses the Friends penguin mold rather than the City one. What do you think?

Edited by Aurore

On 11/2/2021 at 9:09 PM, lifeinplastic said:

Interesting inclusions in the Lunar New Year sets … hard to see the penguin(s) in any detail. An ‘ice’ penguin is very unexpected - but then so is a normal one. I’d love that to be a variant penguin print, but that seems unlikely 

2 hours ago, Aurore said:

Edit : given its proportions, I think the ice penguin uses the Friends penguin mold rather than the City one. What do you think?

Oh I think you're right! I was wondering why it looked different, and I couldn't see a stud on its back either.