Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

Promobricks just dropped the Disney 100 cmf series lineup and there are several characters that come with animal companions as accessories!

In addition to a couple of very small printed animals, we’re also supposed to see:

- Princess Aurora with owl

- Miguel with Dante the dog 

- Cruella DeVil with a Dalmatian 

The dogs especially seem to indicate new molds because none of the current ones really fit Dalmatians or a Xoloitzcuintli. 

The owl is also an interesting prospect. I can see the owl in Sleeping Beauty going either way in regards to whether it needs a new mold or just uses the current owl mold - his design is a bit squatter than the current owl so it’s hard to say for sure. 

Hmm interesting. I think that, given it’s Disney, and given how they did the Simpsons’ animal sidekicks in series 2, we should expect special moulds for at least the Dalmatian and Dante - they are marketed characters and I really don’t think they will just throw in a random dog with printing.

I think the owl could go a few ways but is most likely to reuse the existing mould from Elves / Disney Princess range.

Also - all three come with ‘human’ figures that maybe don’t require a new head mould, so the new animal mould may be more justifiable 

On 1/16/2023 at 11:52 AM, williejm said:

Hmm interesting. I think that, given it’s Disney, and given how they did the Simpsons’ animal sidekicks in series 2, we should expect special moulds for at least the Dalmatian and Dante - they are marketed characters and I really don’t think they will just throw in a random dog with printing.

Dante maybe, but given how the Dalmatians are drawn I can’t see how one scaled and stylized to fit next to a Minifigure would look all that different from a regular lego dog. 

11 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Dante maybe, but given how the Dalmatians are drawn I can’t see how one scaled and stylized to fit next to a Minifigure would look all that different from a regular lego dog. 

Would be even worse if they did one but not the other. I still think they will go down the route they did with Santa’s Little Helper, Snowball & Throg 

21 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

The best case scenario is a new Dalmatian mold that is nonetheless generic enough not to be IP-locked. So far none of the existing Lego dog molds are really a perfect representation of a Dalmatian—the German Shepherd mold has pointed ears that don't "flop", while the Labrador has floppy ears but looks too fluffy to resemble a Dalmatian's lean body and short coat.

Nothing to do with new animals, but I was realising next year is the 15th anniversary of Medieval Market Village, which introduced the cow. I still fondly remember building that set on a hotel room floor, struggling through the frustrating process of a set that large with no numbered bags.

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Nothing to do with new animals, but I was realising next year is the 15th anniversary of Medieval Market Village, which introduced the cow. I still fondly remember building that set on a hotel room floor, struggling through the frustrating process of a set that large with no numbered bags.

It is a fantastic set and I hope we get a similar set as a follow up to the 90 year castle. From what I read in interviews with the designers they made a village in front of the castle, but the hole thing was so big so they just kept some minifigs with accessories and focused on the castle. If we are lucky they spit them in two sets so we get a MMV/MVR follow up next in Castle :grin:

8 hours ago, Roebuck said:

It is a fantastic set and I hope we get a similar set as a follow up to the 90 year castle. From what I read in interviews with the designers they made a village in front of the castle, but the hole thing was so big so they just kept some minifigs with accessories and focused on the castle. If we are lucky they spit them in two sets so we get a MMV/MVR follow up next in Castle :grin:

A new promobricks "leak" rumour article mentions a possible sequel to MMV , including a Goat. 

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-leak-umfrage-2023/157463/

*fingers crossed*

Edited by TeriXeri

Ooft from the leaked image I definitely didn’t see that medieval village set is *packed* with animals - horse, cow, calf, 2 sheep (maybe a new variant), cat, goat, squirrel, three owls and a small bird just from what I could make out 🤪

🐎🐄🐄🐑🐑🐈🐐🦉🦉🦉🐿️🐦

Edited by williejm

It's worth noting that the 'goat' is possibly a 3D printed part in grey, and not necessarily a moulded part. And it's a concept and could well change. Or not released at all.

Honestly, even if they don't release the goat, it would be awesome to get a decent set with such a large collection of animals. Goat would make it even better.

What seems really odd is that they've had several sets over the last few years that would have been PERFECT for a goat to return, and the designers have even talked about wanting to do it, but not having the budget for new moulds, as they're D2C or 18+ sets, which don't get to do new moulds as much. And then they release a 4+ mass market city set of a farm with loads of animals, but no goat. And so it comes down to this, which is another more adult focused set, and we suddenly get one. I don't quite understand. Anyway, hopefully it releases, then comes to PAB, and I can add one to the JP T-Rex set, and about 30 to the bonsai tree to finally make the goat tree we've talked about before!

38 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

It's worth noting that the 'goat' is possibly a 3D printed part in grey, and not necessarily a moulded part. And it's a concept and could well change. Or not released at all.

Honestly, even if they don't release the goat, it would be awesome to get a decent set with such a large collection of animals. Goat would make it even better.

What seems really odd is that they've had several sets over the last few years that would have been PERFECT for a goat to return, and the designers have even talked about wanting to do it, but not having the budget for new moulds, as they're D2C or 18+ sets, which don't get to do new moulds as much. And then they release a 4+ mass market city set of a farm with loads of animals, but no goat. And so it comes down to this, which is another more adult focused set, and we suddenly get one. I don't quite understand. Anyway, hopefully it releases, then comes to PAB, and I can add one to the JP T-Rex set, and about 30 to the bonsai tree to finally make the goat tree we've talked about before!

Yeah it seems like an unfinished image for sure. And I think you can easily fit more than 30 goats in that tree ;)

1 hour ago, williejm said:

Ooft from the leaked image I definitely didn’t see that medieval village set is *packed* with animals - horse, cow, calf, 2 sheep (maybe a new variant), cat, goat, squirrel, three owls and a small bird just from what I could make out 🤪

🐎🐄🐄🐑🐑🐈🐐🦉🦉🦉🐿️🐦

I think the set itself looks rather finished, but believe some of the animals are stand-ins. The cat looks like a goat kid stand-in, 3 owl is crazy not even HP sets gets that any more, maybe one is a stand-in for a falcon. Some hens would make sense :tongue: closer to the house maybe. 2 squirrels in trees? 2 small blue birds on roofs?

42 minutes ago, williejm said:

Yeah it seems like an unfinished image for sure. And I think you can easily fit more than 30 goats in that tree ;)

Yes, you could, but it over the top to do so. :laugh:

I got 60 rubber ducks on my fall version of it, so half seemed sensible.

It looks like the next VIP add-on pack (Spring Fun, rumored to be available in March) will include at least one each of the white rabbit, white lamb, and blue bird, as well as several bee and ladybug tiles. Fun that the lamb will come in one of these, even if it’s only one! 

6 hours ago, Rolyat24 said:

It looks like the next VIP add-on pack (Spring Fun, rumored to be available in March) will include at least one each of the white rabbit, white lamb, and blue bird, as well as several bee and ladybug tiles. Fun that the lamb will come in one of these, even if it’s only one! 

Yes that is one of the better VIP add-on packs so far :thumbup: Since we just got 2 white rabbits in the last one, a rabbit with a different colour or another animal like a second lam (if we only get one) would have been preferable :shrug_oh_well:

The Dreamzzz sets almost all have different animals in their title so could be a very nice theme for animal moulds :sweet:

The theme codenamed “Sparkle” is allegedly based on Gabby’s Dollhouse, a Netflix show produced by Dreamworks. Never heard of the series before, but it features a lot of cat characters, so we might get some interesting new cat pieces here :laugh:

10 hours ago, Roebuck said:
The Dreamzzz sets almost all have different animals in their title so could be a very nice theme for animal moulds :sweet:

If I recall correctly - that what we thought when we saw last year’s STUNTZ set names, and they all let us down … 

One of the Indiana Jones sets has not surprisingly some snakes in it, I can only see 4 so far but it should have a lot more. Anyway looks like the old snake mould comes in a couple of new colours there :shrug_oh_well:

71459 Stable of the Dream Creatures 681 pieces - $79.99 

Better have some interesting new animal moulds

If Lego release the medieval village (cross my fingers) how many animals can we expect to get in it do you think?
Based on the leaked photo and that it seems to focus on animals I think it can have a lot :sweet:

1 horse (would make sense to have more than one, but I think they will use the budget on other animals so probably not a new color either and it is only one in the picture. MMV/MVR had only 1 each also)

0-1 foal (would be nice to get one in a new color and it has never been in a "normal set", but it is no one in the picture so probably not included)
1 cow (would be nice to get 2 in the set, but if we combine it with the castle we get 2. MMV had 2, but we probably get a calf instead of the second cow here. Not much hope of a recolor either)
1 calf (is in the picture and make sense, probably the same color)

1-2 sheep (there is 2 in the picture so hopefully we get 2 with the wool-part maybe 1 sheep with a recolor.)

0-1 lamb (there is 1 in the castle and no one in the picture so 50-50 if they swap it with a sheep)
1-2 goat (a 3-D printed one in the picture and if we get the set it would be a perfect opportunity to bring the mould back from good old MVR. I am sure it will be a recolor and it makes sense to give us 2 if they not for some reason wants to keep it as exclusive as possible )
0-1 kid (the cat looks like a kid stand-in to me, but maybe they just 3-D printed that as well if they planned to include one. However they do like to make new juvenile animals so could include it instead of one of the adult goats I guess)
0 pig (makes sense in the set, but not in the picture so probably not)
0 piglet (makes sense in the set, but not in the picture so probably not)
0-1 cat (is one in the picture and was supposed to be one in the castle before it was swapped out for a lam in the last minute, so if it is not a goat kid stand-in it is probably included)
0 kittens (probably not)
0 dogs/puppies (better to use the budget on other animals since they are so common in other sets)
0-2 hens (cannot see anyone, but would be strange not to include any here or in the castle, maybe not budget for them with all the other animals)
1 owl (it is 3 in the picture, but guess 1 will be included)
1 squirrel (looks like 2 in the picture, but guess the set include 1)
2 small bird (the picture looks to have several, but guess the set include 2)
0-1 falcon (could be that it is swapped with one of the owls in the picture)
0-1 hare (could fit in nicely, but maybe not budget for it)
Probably some frogs , fish and or butterfly's (if they are unprinted cost nothing more than normal bricks to include)

12 printed animals would be a lot for a set even one like this so I do not dare hope for more.

How many do you think they will include, anyone I have not thought off?

The only thought I have to add to @Roebuck’s ramblings is that *perhaps* one of the owls is a stand in for a new cockerel - it’s long overdue, and given so many farm animals originated in these sets first time round, would be a nice touch. 

Edited by williejm

On 2/2/2023 at 11:20 PM, Rolyat24 said:

Can only hope it lines up with Rivendell