Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

47 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

You’re a better Uncle than me, that’s for sure @williejm!

Glad the next CNF series will contain the toucan but the foal certainly opens up possibilities for more baby animal moulds - which do you think are most likely (and which non-baby animals)?

P.S. Question is for all, not just generous Uncle Willie!

It’s okay, I know I’m the best uncle, been told often enough ;)

The baby animal thing is a great question. In true lego style there is no apparent logic to the System animals we do have babies for (deliberately, horse, elephant, crocagator, and big cats; kind of by accident, cats. And does the ‘baby chimp’ count?). 

I would assume these were most likely in domesticated animals, so I’d expect possibly a lamb, piglet and calf at some point. Maybe also a baby deer if the stag gets a revisit and a female is forthcoming? Other one I think is likely is a bear cub. As @DBlegonerd7 has suggested many times, a panda is long overdue, and a baby bear mould would also allow baby pandas… which is marketing gold. 

In fantasy land I think some sets focussing on Asian or Australian animals are very overdue and would be welcome. The latter would require new moulds 🐨🦘to do it justice. Moulds already exist to revisit the tiger, or do a snow leopard, and have cubs, and also the existing bear mould could be panda-fied. So with the addition of *just* a bear cub mould, you have a whole new slew of critters and geography opened up. 

And of course @roebuck is right - there are some obviously missing animals like pigeons, crows, ducks, that could turn up anytime and almost anywhere; as well as more useful recolours of things like the rabbit, otter and hare. 

I agree with @williejm!

I will make one more point for Asian animals. We do have existing elephant mold form this year. We have African elephant but what about Asian elephant? Definitely, Lego would reuse body but I do think Asian elephant will need a “new” head mold. You see, African and Asian elephants are different by their ears. 

23 hours ago, DarrellBricker said:

Those plant creatures are epic - that tree trunk with the mushrooms especially - where did you get it's face/teeth?

Oh, and yay animals! Gotta keep it on-topic LOL

Sorry for the further OTness, but thanks for the kind words. :blush: The head is this part.

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

2 rabbits in one of the new monkey kid set..

I want to hope that’s a new colour, but I’m guessing it’s just boring old white rabbits behind an orange windscreen 😂

EDIT: now I see on another pic that they are white 🤦🏻‍♂️

6 hours ago, williejm said:

I want to hope that’s a new colour, but I’m guessing it’s just boring old white rabbits behind an orange windscreen 😂

What a letdown Lego has caused for us…

12 hours ago, williejm said:

I will be sure to mention if it ever happens :tongue:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I will be sure to mention if it ever happens :tongue:

*insert Titanic ‘it’s been 84 years….’ GIF*

So, it’s probably *just* an illustration, but the Lego store December calendar features the moulded ‘reindeer’ in a new colour - light grey. 

Edited by williejm

That looks like a pic of the actual thing rather than a render, so I'd say it's not just an illustration but an actual produced piece which means it'lll be released somewhere

I would have preferred the mould in red deer colors, since that is what it is :def_shrug:
Has that ever happened that a "minifig" animal has come in 3 wrong colors before the right one? I know the friends animals come in all possible crazy colors in those small boxes,

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

I would have preferred the mould in red deer colors, since that is what it is :def_shrug:
Has that ever happened that a "minifig" animal has come in 3 wrong colors before the right one? I know the friends animals come in all possible crazy colors in those small boxes,

At least it doesn’t have a Mohawk. With you on the colour choice, but I have to admit I don’t hate this version if it’s real. ‘White’ deer are a pretty common thing, across species. 

Since the reindeer is next to an obviously rendered minifig, I hold out little hope the animal itself is anything more than an illustration.

But still...I'd really love to get such a light grey deer. It would be absolutely gorgeous and magical, a perfect addition to any fantasy setting! :wub:

Fingers crossed. Christmas miracle maybe?

4 hours ago, williejm said:

At least it doesn’t have a Mohawk. With you on the colour choice, but I have to admit I don’t hate this version if it’s real. ‘White’ deer are a pretty common thing, across species. 

Is it wrong to now want a reindeer with a Mohawk?!

Just now, RichardGoring said:

Yes. Please leave ;)

I'm even wondering whether the new owl could be sand blue...or does it appear bluish-er than the usual bluish gray due to my screen's setting? :look:

51717232826_b0493b472b_o.png

48 minutes ago, williejm said:

Yes. Please leave ;)

:laugh:

37 minutes ago, Aurore said:

I'm even wondering whether the new owl could be sand blue...or does it appear bluish-er than the usual bluish gray due to my screen's setting? :look:

51717232826_b0493b472b_o.png

The clip looks like it's dark bluish grey, and in comparison to that, I think the owl is sand blue.

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

:laugh:

The clip looks like it's dark bluish grey, and in comparison to that, I think the owl is sand blue.

Agreed. Grey owls are my favourite - so am happy to see a flying one. Think the original printed great grey owl is still unsurpassed though 

Any guesses as to what species the owl is supposed to be? They have (generally) been being better about making animals of specific species lately (like the barn owl, bateleur eagle). I think this one is one of the African white faced / scops owls…

8 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Well….not just a reindeer with Mohawk he wants. :)