Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

I found this site today, which I think is very useful and interesting. https://www.minifig-pictures.be/controler/c_MenuAnimal.php

It has a very broad definition of what it includes as ‘animals’ (everything from dinosaurs, to Friends, to Minecraft & mohawk variants!) - really fascinating to see the animals and their new variants arranged year by year though. Definitely some years recently have been real bumper years!

@williejm, Very handy! Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

There are a few duplications with some winged creatures listed twice: with and without wings. Also, would be cool if you could select real vs fantastic creatures and cross-select by aesthetic: System, Friends etc. Interesting nonetheless to see the increase in yearly additions from 2 when I became an AFOL to 101 in the first half of this year.

7 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

@williejm, Very handy! Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

There are a few duplications with some winged creatures listed twice: with and without wings. Also, would be cool if you could select real vs fantastic creatures and cross-select by aesthetic: System, Friends etc. Interesting nonetheless to see the increase in yearly additions from 2 when I became an AFOL to 101 in the first half of this year.

Agreed on all points. Think there are maybe some omissions too, and it’s a bit arbitrary which brick built animals from sets are considered ‘animals’… e.g. why does the brick built creator moose get in, but not the chickens, ducks or gulls? 

Folks in the U.K. might like to know that an ‘XXL’ Lego City magazine is currently in stores with the 30370 polybag, featuring a diver, coral, undersea scooter and the stingray. Retailing at £4.99. Guess it might also be available in other countries 

There's a rumour going around from Promobricks that the baby croc in the Disney+ CMF series might not have Loki horns at all. That'd be good news for purely animal fans if true.

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

There's a rumour going around from Promobricks that the baby croc in the Disney+ CMF series might not have Loki horns at all. That'd be good news for purely animal fans if true.

Would also be kind of interesting to know why they didn’t bring it in with the wildlife rescue theme if that’s the case … 

2 hours ago, williejm said:

Would also be kind of interesting to know why they didn’t bring it in with the wildlife rescue theme if that’s the case … 

Maybe since it is another theme :shrug_oh_well: The HP/FB CMF made new moulds that was used in HP/FB sets that came out even before the CMF I believe. However that was within the same theme, maybe now since they are not the Marvel one won't let City steal their thunder by including it there :wacko:

8 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

If that is true the juvenile animal moulds sure are of with a bang this year! Would be very surprised if the next normal CMF do not have any new juveniles as well in their ranks :sweet:

10 hours ago, williejm said:

I have a same thought. It’s kinda unfair for City if that rumor turns out to be true. 

Well, we will wait and see about future regular CMF series. 

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

If that is true the juvenile animal moulds sure are of with a bang this year! Would be very surprised if the next normal CMF do not have any new juveniles as well in their ranks :sweet:

I agree with you - I think this year is the best year for animifigures. If my memories serve right, We have elephant calf and lion cub this year. Heck, more juvenile animifigures, please!

I am curious to see what is in Series 22 next year. :)

19 hours ago, williejm said:

8 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I have a same thought. It’s kinda unfair for City if that rumor turns out to be true. 

It depends on development production timelines I'm sure. Sometimes a part is developed for one set or theme, but then able to be used first in a different one (there was a recent example of this confirmed by a designer that's now escaping me). But I'm sure in some cases the opposite also happens, that a part is in process but isn't ready yet for an earlier release, so can't be used.

From what I've read, it also used to be with CMF that any new CMF part that designers wanted to use in sets actually had to be remade in Europe because CMF production was entirely in China. However now that CMF production has moved to be partially in Europe just like sets, that might not be the case any more.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

It depends on development production timelines I'm sure. Sometimes a part is developed for one set or theme, but then able to be used first in a different one (there was a recent example of this confirmed by a designer that's now escaping me). But I'm sure in some cases the opposite also happens, that a part is in process but isn't ready yet for an earlier release, so can't be used.

You are probably right and I am not looking the gift horse in the mouth as long as we get new animal moulds I am happy no matter what themes that bring them to the party. However I prefer that the animals are not one hit wonders, but come out in different sets so they stay in production for a longer time and increase the total number of animals in sets. 

From what I've read, it also used to be with CMF that any new CMF part that designers wanted to use in sets actually had to be remade in Europe because CMF production was entirely in China. However now that CMF production has moved to be partially in Europe just like sets, that might not be the case any more.

Yes it looks like the CMF parts have become more common outside the CMF line the last few years :classic:

The Ideas GWP sailboat is rumored to come out 1 August, but with a limit of 200 euro! Should include 2 dolphins and a seagull if it stays faithful to the original submission, but we will see soon enough if that is the case..

I agree that they should make more use of new molds instead of making those expensive molds just for one set.

That said, I think the only normal animal molds (i.e. not Friends or Duplo or Minecraft or whatever) that are new for 2021 and appeared in a single set only are the baby elephant and the sheep.

The monkey mold appeared in the polybag, the quad bike set, the set with the big helicopter and the camp set.

The new dog appeared in both the house and the big set with the car wash

The dog harness appeared in the big set with the car wash and was also going to appear in the canceled crooks hideout set.

The big lion appeared in the 4+ set and the camp set.

The lion cub appeared in the 4+ set and the camp set.

The big elephant appeared in the set with the big helicopter and the camp set.

I think that's all the new normal animals for 2021 so far.

26 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I agree that they should make more use of new molds instead of making those expensive molds just for one set.

That said, I think the only normal animal molds (i.e. not Friends or Duplo or Minecraft or whatever) that are new for 2021 and appeared in a single set only are the baby elephant and the sheep

Both of which would easily fit in a CMF bag as an accessory. Just saying … 

11 minutes ago, williejm said:

Both of which would easily fit in a CMF bag as an accessory. Just saying … 

Hear ya. 

ONce I got both elephant calf and sheep, they are good, which perfect for CMF. Just like recolored dolphin mold was seen in reglar CMF Series 21. And BMX bike (i know it’s not animifigures :) ) was in Series 19.

43 minutes ago, jonwil said:

That said, I think the only normal animal molds (i.e. not Friends or Duplo or Minecraft or whatever) that are new for 2021 and appeared in a single set only are the baby elephant and the sheep.

Agreed. And some of us thought new barn owl mold showed up in one of those new Harry Potter sets this year but we found out it will show up in polybag “Herimone’s Study Desk” later.

7 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed. And some of us thought new barn owl mold showed up in one of those new Harry Potter sets this year but we found out it will show up in polybag “Herimone’s Study Desk” later.

That's not a new mould, just a new print.

Other animal moulds very ripe for CMF inclusion or the otter and hare patronuses. They need to be made as their real animal selves!

Other animal moulds very ripe for CMF inclusion or the otter and hare patronuses. They need to be made as their real animal selves!

Agreed. Part of me thinks that both or either could show up in a forest themed set of some kind, alongside stag, owls, mouse, eagle, etc. The hare is a possible animal in a winter village set. And either could be in CMF.

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Thank you for pointing me out! Things somehow crossed my mind when I typed down. 

And yeah, I agreed with you on on the real animal selves!

So, since City (and other themes) has been furnishing us pretty regularly with new dog moulds - I wonder what type of dog will show up next?

We now have a whopping eight different dog moulds (shepherd, chihuahua, husky, French bulldog, terrier, bulldog, dachshund, retriever) introduced over the last ten years, and each with at least two colour or print variants. Arguably we are long overdue for some variety in the cat department, but as an unashamedly dog person, I’m much more interested in them. I think the next one to make an appearance will either be a poodle, or a skinny greyhound/ whippet. We are also overdue something with long ears like a spaniel. My own preference however would be for something much more ‘scruffy mutt’ and non breed specific. 

Edited by williejm
Typo

I would expect a more accurate Dalmatian for a future fire theme - probably a recolored Labrador (if not a new mold). Or, yes, a poodle (maybe with a female version of the CMF connoisseur).

5 minutes ago, Ardelon said:

I would expect a more accurate Dalmatian for a future fire theme - probably a recolored Labrador (if not a new mold). Or, yes, a poodle (maybe with a female version of the CMF connoisseur).

Good call. Perhaps a Coco Chanel tribute figure? I was confused that they brought out the latest dog mould as a retriever, rather than a smoother version to be a Labrador. That would have been a much better one to reuse for a Dalmatian. 

7 hours ago, williejm said:

So, since City (and other themes) has been furnishing us pretty regularly with new dog moulds - I wonder what type of dog will show up next?

We now have a whopping eight different dog moulds (shepherd, chihuahua, husky, French bulldog, terrier, bulldog, dachshund, retriever) introduced over the last ten years, and each with at least two colour or print variants. Arguably we are long overdue for some variety in the cat department, but as an unashamedly dog person, I’m much more interested in them. I think the next one to make an appearance will either be a poodle, or a skinny greyhound/ whippet. We are also overdue something with long ears like a spaniel. My own preference however would be for something much more ‘scruffy mutt’ and non breed specific. 

Admittedly a different aesthetic, but there was a greyhound in the Simpsons theme. 

My guess is that the dog breed depends on the theme it comes in. I am sure we sooner or later will see a new Fang (a boarhound, a Great Dane or most likely a Neapolitan Mastiff) and/or padfoot (black German Shepherd or Scottish Deerhound) in HP, if that is next year we will see.
A new City or CMF dog could be everything, but I hope for a sheepdog, not that I have any interest in the breed other than it would most likely come with a farm theme in City or at the very least a sheep as a CMF fig. If it is not that my guess is a popular breed that is very easy to recognize :classic:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

My guess is that the dog breed depends on the theme it comes in. I am sure we sooner or later will see a new Fang (a boarhound, a Great Dane or most likely a Neapolitan Mastiff) and/or padfoot (black German Shepherd or Scottish Deerhound) in HP, if that is next year we will see.
A new City or CMF dog could be everything, but I hope for a sheepdog, not that I have any interest in the breed other than it would most likely come with a farm theme in City or at the very least a sheep as a CMF fig. If it is not that my guess is a popular breed that is very easy to recognize :classic:

Clearly we need more Scottish dog breeds. We only have the terriers and retriever so far, so collie and deerhound are a good shout :) 

IF we get a ‘big’ dog breed though, I very much hope they do something a bit better in terms of relative size.

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

That new Fang mold cold be recolored ast St. Bernard.

Also, terrier mold should be recolored as Boston Terrier.

So what about Border Collie? Normal/mini Poodle? Bloodhound?and…..we need WILD WOLF mold :) 

If they make a new big dog mold, I could imagine it (sitting or standing) level to minifigure’s shoulder and maybe two stud wide would work, in my opinion.

I have been wondering why new monkey mold doesn’t have minifigure hand? I mean most of us know that the new monkeys can’t hold poop and other pieces. They only can hold bars and staffs. And why not minifigur-like arms so these arms could be movable for monkeys. 

If the Lego Group would make gorillas in a near future, Unlike new monkey, I’m not sure gorilla mold could be able to hold anything because of the body size.