Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

My current project is a zoo so all these new animals will be perfect for making said zoo better :)

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Is it a eagle or a vulture?

lego-city-2021-60307-0006.jpg

See for yourself. The HD pics are out. It has a red beak and uses the old eagle mould. I think they are going for a vulture going by the print but it could be something else as well.

By the way the elephant has definitely an articulated neck and bend his neck

lego-city-2021-60307-0007.jpg

Edited by Metanoios91

3 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

lego-city-2021-60307-0006.jpg

See for yourself. The HD pics are out. It has a red beak and uses the old eagle mould. I think they are going for a vulture going by the print but it could be something else as well.

By the way the elephant has definitely an articulated neck and bend his neck

It’s a bateleur eagle 

10 minutes ago, williejm said:

It’s a bateleur eagle 

Oh thx didn't know that type of eagle exists, so it is an accurate depiction. Nice! I thought it was initially supposed to be a red-headed vulture like this: 8733150225_611ac93857_o-2048x1406.jpg

But the Bateleur eagle is a closer fit 260px-Bateleur_Eagle_with_Kill.jpg

Edited by Metanoios91

12 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

Oh thx didn't know that type of eagle exists, so it is an accurate depiction. Nice! I thought it was initially supposed to be a red-headed vulture like this:

But the Bateleur eagle is a closer fit 

77F46B43-A8AE-4728-BAF6-22CC9539F2BC.jpeg

Yeah you can really see it when the wings are out 

2 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

See for yourself. The HD pics are out. 

Where can all the HD pics be found in one place? I hadn't seen that lineup with the minifigures and animals before.

It's fantastic that the elephant head can move around. That really helps.

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Yes, I think you are right, the lion is probably 5-6$ and the elephant 10$ plus :def_shrug:

Between Animal Rescue ATV & Rescue Camp, all you’d need to buy separately are the baby elephant & snake. Those two sets are t bad at all. 

6 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Where can all the HD pics be found in one place? I hadn't seen that lineup with the minifigures and animals before.

Promobricks has loads of pictures for the biggest set that was last to be revealed but weirdly only has 1 box picture for the 3 smaller sets. 

10 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-city-2021-sommerneuheiten/122217/

7 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Between Animal Rescue ATV & Rescue Camp, all you’d need to buy separately are the baby elephant & snake. Those two sets are t bad at all. 

Yes, but I get more than one of every animal, the ones in the sets are just a bonus :tongue:

It looks like that's a vet of some description who is going to do some sort of medical check on the elephant...

18 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Promobricks has loads of pictures for the biggest set that was last to be revealed but weirdly only has 1 box picture for the 3 smaller sets. 

Thanks! Now that I've checked out their article, I see the most expensive set has fewer pieces than the second-most expensive one! Though it does have more animals. Curious to have two sets so close in price as well in a line like this.

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

It looks like that's a vet of some description who is going to do some sort of medical check on the elephant...

I meant the size of the elephant in that pic

27 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I meant the size of the elephant in that pic

The perspective is a little wonky as the minifig is positioned in the foreground in front of the elephant, but everything looks roughly proportionally correct to me. The new elephant is really not huge and that truck is very tall.

See the same picture with an edited background on the back of the box, and the perspective becomes clearer.

At the risk of being a total geek, wanted to update that the printed snake is definitely based on an African Rock Python, which has a very identifiable spear shaped marking on its head.

to me, Lego have really raised the game with these animals: making sure that they are a realistic assemblage of species, and not just making them generic. Whilst I guess this new monkey mould will be widely used and come in a variety of colours from now on, I think in these sets they represent vervet and samango monkeys, which are the species most commonly found in Savanna and Southern Africa.

Edited by williejm

3 hours ago, williejm said:

At the risk of being a total geek

We welcome animal geeks here :wink:

4 hours ago, williejm said:

At the risk of being a total geek, wanted to update that the printed snake is definitely based on an African Rock Python, which has a very identifiable spear shaped marking on its head.

to me, Lego have really raised the game with these animals: making sure that they are a realistic assemblage of species, and not just making them generic. Whilst I guess this new monkey mould will be widely used and come in a variety of colours from now on, I think in these sets they represent vervet and samango monkeys, which are the species most commonly found in Savanna and Southern Africa.

Now I just wonder when they will give us dinosaurs with feathers ;)

9 minutes ago, elfprince13 said:

Whaddyamean? There’s an ostrich, flamingo, owls, eagles, parrots, penguins ...🦅🦉🦩🦜

17 minutes ago, williejm said:

Whaddyamean? There’s an ostrich, flamingo, owls, eagles, parrots, penguins ...🦅🦉🦩🦜

You sir, are technically correct, which as we all know is the best kind of correct.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:01 PM, williejm said:

It’s a bateleur eagle 

Well identified! :thumbup:

I think - but am not sure - that the adult elephants in the two sets are the same mould. The only difference seems to be their tusks. 

Also, while the head and lower trunk appear to be rotatable, it is unclear whether the neck can bend up/down. I don’t think it can but I could be wrong.

With regards to the lion and cub, I prefer the light tan ones (and the adult male with the brown mane) to the white ones. I appreciate that not everyone will agree.

7 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

Well identified! :thumbup:

I think - but am not sure - that the adult elephants in the two sets are the same mould. The only difference seems to be their tusks. 

Also, while the head and lower trunk appear to be rotatable, it is unclear whether the neck can bend up/down. I don’t think it can but I could be wrong.

With regards to the lion and cub, I prefer the light tan ones (and the adult male with the brown mane) to the white ones. I appreciate that not everyone will agree.

I agree on the lions. With the elephants - yeah same mould, think that the head is like the mammoth and some of the dinos, so it will move and rotate 

1 hour ago, AmperZand said:

The neck can bend up and down and rotate (most likely a ratcheted technic pin joint, just like the mammoth head). Compare the position on these two pics:

lego-city-2021-60307-0007-1400x788.jpg

lego-city-2021-60307-0005-1400x788.jpg

8 hours ago, Roebuck said:

We welcome animal geeks here :wink:

And welcome Eliza Thornberry and her family too. :) 

1 minute ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

And welcome Eliza Thornberry and her family too. :) 

Pity Nickelodeon went to Mega Brands. I'd love to have the Thornberrys in Lego.

6 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

At risk of being total dino geek, there are not a lot of dinosaurs being feathered. Based on paleontologists, there were no feathers found on almost every fossilized non-avian dinosaurs, such as Tyrannosaurus rex, Triceratops, and Brachiosarus. However, Velociraptor is known to have quills (not really feathers tho...).

In the pool of existing dinosaur molds, we have Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor, Carnotarsus, Pteranodon, Gallimimus, Ankylosaurus, Baryonyx, Stygimoloch (I’m not counting Indomimus and Indoraptor hybrids). So Velociraptor may get quills later but I highly doubt it. However, non-avian dinosaurs with feathers sound cool!