Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Yes, like you said here yourself, though we'd like to think LEGO makes animal moulds with an eye to reuse, we can never be sure and mustn't hesitate when they're released! Everyone thought for sure the camel and ostrich, and goat from city would be reused. But nope!

Even the cow with the most classic black and white cow print only came in one set. For all we know, that Disney farm set could be the only set to include a sheep for the next 15 years!

The difference now is that now we have the build-a-mini figure option, which I find a lot easier to get animals than bricklink. When I went before the pandemic I was able to pick up the grey cat, two tan dogs and 3 penguins - I feel like the monkeys and sheep are the perfect size to be available there too at some point 

4 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

The difference now is that now we have the build-a-mini figure option, which I find a lot easier to get animals than bricklink. When I went before the pandemic I was able to pick up the grey cat, two tan dogs and 3 penguins - I feel like the monkeys and sheep are the perfect size to be available there too at some point 

Indeed. Almost all of the ‘standard’ CMF animals have showed up in BAM later on, and similarly some animals like the dolphin have shown up in CMF after sets. Can definitely see sheep and monkey and the ‘big cat cub’ being in a range of sets (historical, fantasy, city, licensed) or showing up as BAM accessories. 

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Whatever is going with that gray/tan lion? 

Dont say it out loud...

Tbh I think white/tan is the most realistic colour variant for lions, the other option would have been a darker body colour and a black/dark mane ... which I’m sure will turn up at some point, but might have been a little on-the-nose in terms of Lion King similarity :)

Edited by williejm

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Whatever is going with that gray/tan lion? 

This is not a make-up Lego has done. It’s truly an existing white African lion and it’s not albino. :)

22 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Excellent :thumbup: 2021 has to be one of the best years so far in terms of new animal moulds :wub:

Certainly in terms of medium and large animals. We’ve had years when there were lots of small animals particularly with CMFs, but I can’t recall a year with so many medium/large ones, not since I became an AFOL in ‘93 anyway.

The problem will be getting them all without selling a kidney and/or a lung.

White lion is definately based on the rare color variation (not albino) that's mostly has been seen in South Africa.

Just like Black Leopard/Jaguar exist, and King-Cheetah with stripes , they are different rarer variants within the same species.

43 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

White lion is definately based on the rare color variation (not albino) that's mostly has been seen in South Africa.

Just like Black Leopard/Jaguar exist, and King-Cheetah with stripes , they are different rarer variants within the same species.

Exactly!

I really appreciate LEGO for giving us the white lion! We may see some cool big cats in their rarest variants eventually. 

Personally, it’s nice to raise awareness within young children when it comes to white lions and other big cats’ rarest versions. And of course, Wildlife Rescue sets encourage/educate the children about conservation, in my opinion. 

17 hours ago, williejm said:

the big retail exclusive has an adult elephant, tan lioness, white male lion, one each of tan and white lion cubs, and two tan monkeys (white lions and tan monkeys exclusive)

You forgot the bird :wink: Worst case it is the same eagle that has only been in one set, if not a new recolour of the same mould or the best case a new vulture mould :wub_drool:

16 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

As nice as the variation is, I just don't think the recoloured lions (or the same elephant with slightly larger tusks) is more useful than another animal that doesn't already exist in the Legoverse. A proper African wildlife theme should have produced a little more than what we have ended up with here, so I cannot help but feel disappointed, particularly as the theme is unlikely to return for a number of years (if at all). I like the new animals of course, but always feel Lego never bothers going the extra mile when it comes to City sets and I often avoid buying sets completely these days as a result. Even some existing moulds like the flamingos or ostriches would have added some extra variety here.

Well they have a long way to go before they include the same number of animals as Playmobil, but personally I think this year has been great regarding animal moulds and Lego is definitely moving in the right direction :wink:

14 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Yes, like you said here yourself, though we'd like to think LEGO makes animal moulds with an eye to reuse, we can never be sure and mustn't hesitate when they're released! Everyone thought for sure the camel and ostrich, and goat from city would be reused. But nope!

Even the cow with the most classic black and white cow print only came in one set. For all we know, that Disney farm set could be the only set to include a sheep for the next 15 years!

That is right, buy them as soon as you get the chance is the safe thing to do, however I think all the animals will lead to more animals in sets, because once they are made and for a time will be part of Lego pallet of parts that designers can chose from, so it not so costly design budget-wise to include one as a retired or even worse a new one. However which of this that are coming in other sets later is not a guess I am willing to make in regards to my collection, so "day one purchase" on all of them :tongue:

1 hour ago, AmperZand said:

Certainly in terms of medium and large animals. We’ve had years when there were lots of small animals particularly with CMFs, but I can’t recall a year with so many medium/large ones, not since I became an AFOL in ‘93 anyway.

The problem will be getting them all without selling a kidney and/or a lung.

Yes a fantastic year for Lego animals at least :grin_wub:

Would not surprise me if the bird is a new vulture mould, from what I can see on a picture it has lighter part of the wings, so definitely not the same as the previous eagle, it could still be a recoloured eagle of course :wink:

43 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Would not surprise me if the bird is a new vulture mould, from what I can see on a picture it has lighter part of the wings, so definitely not the same as the previous eagle, it could still be a recoloured eagle of course :wink:

You might be right - but I think it’s just the eagle mould recoloured. The photos are so blurry. The eagle mould hasn’t resurfaced or been reused anywhere yet ... 

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Yes a fantastic year for Lego animals at least :grin_wub:

Have you recovered yet from all the explosion of goodness we’ve seen yet? A dream come true for you. 

On 5/2/2021 at 11:57 AM, williejm said:

Poly bag has leaked, small fan-boat, minifigure and one monkey 🐒

I can’t find it!!! I’ve been scrolling for  while…:/

18 minutes ago, Megbricks said:

I can’t find it!!! I’ve been scrolling for  while…:/

Sent you a PM. Easy to miss.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

Sent you a PM. Easy to miss.

Do you mind if you send that one, please? 

12 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Have you recovered yet from all the explosion of goodness we’ve seen yet? A dream come true for you. 

:grin: Still flying high, but I probably get my feet on the ground once the prices for them in B&P are revealed, are not going to be cheap :tongue:

I hope the sheep comes in all white and maybe all black soon, do not have the white/black type in Norway, but I am not in a hurry so a future CMF or BAM would be nice :classic:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

:grin: Still flying high, but I probably get my feet on the ground once the prices for them in B&P are revealed, are not going to be cheap :tongue:

I hope the sheep comes in all white and maybe all black soon, do not have the white/black type in Norway, but I am not in a hurry so a future CMF or BAM would be nice :classic:

It’s clearly a Scottish blackface sheep ;)

There’s more pictures of the biggest safari set which show that the bird has new printing with an orange beak, black head and tail, it looks great!

I love the lion family too, tho I do think I still prefer the 4+ set for the lion colours and lesser impact on my wallet + storage space 

12 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

There’s more pictures of the biggest safari set which show that the bird has new printing with an orange beak, black head and tail, it looks great!

Is it a eagle or a vulture?

1 minute ago, Roebuck said:

Is it a eagle or a vulture?

It’s the eagle mould, recoloured and printed to look like a vulture (99% sure that’s what is going on)

I take it all back. It’s a bateleur eagle. Not a vulture 

Wow. I’m shocked at how specific this set is, with the white lion variants and a specific southern African eagle species ... now I’m off to look up monkeys 

17 minutes ago, williejm said:

It’s the eagle mould, recoloured and printed to look like a vulture (99% sure that’s what is going on)

I take it all back. It’s a bateleur eagle. Not a vulture 

Wow. I’m shocked at how specific this set is, with the white lion variants and a specific southern African eagle species ... now I’m off to look up monkeys 

Fantastic! It did not make any sense that they reprint the eagle as a vulture since Lego do not do that any more :grin_wub:

9 hours ago, Roebuck said:

That’s my worry as well...I bought both bulldogs & retrievers & they were about $2.50 each, which isn’t terrible. I imagine the monkeys & lion cubs will be that price, but the lion & elephants(especially the adult) are gonna hurt. 

Just now, Vindicare said:

That’s my worry as well...I bought both bulldogs & retrievers & they were about $2.50 each, which isn’t terrible. I imagine the monkeys & lion cubs will be that price, but the lion & elephants(especially the adult) are gonna hurt. 

Yes, I think you are right, the lion is probably 5-6$ and the elephant 10$ plus :def_shrug:

I’m greatly pleased with Wiildlife Rescue sets, sheep from Mickey farm set, and barn owl from Harry Potter set!

Definitley, I am going to get ALLL new animals (including python and southern African eagle)!