Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

With a different eye print (and probably a less pastel color), the new sea horse could totally fit into a non-Friends theme. Would be nice to see a few variations in the upcoming City sets.

On 3/24/2020 at 2:20 PM, Aurore said:

From the hi-res images on the LEGO site, I can spot :
- 1 pink pig 
- 1 shark
- 2 bright light orange crabs
- 1 red crab
- 1 green frog
- 2 blue/yellow parrots
- at least 1 silver fish

Nice, but not amazing : no new mould, no recolor (spoiled child comment : I would have loved a new parrot!). :cry_sad:

On top of that, we should also note the coral that are hidden under the island/boat. Scientifically speaking, these are animals ;-)

On 3/26/2020 at 9:30 PM, gedren_y said:

An awesome angler fish just leaked. Don't know what theme yet.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:50 PM, Lucarex said:

It's from City Divers (HS getting spring green shark instead) and definitely looks GITD.

You could argue the same (not Lego-like) about previous animal moulds, such as the black manta ray.

It definitely looks a lot different than the normal animals, some new technique maybe :shrug_oh_well: Anyway I do not think it will come in city after all they have 2 new animal moulds for the theme, probably HS since it looks like it is glow in the dark :sceptic:

14 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

This one?  It's a currently available item.

49595a.png

I think the new seahorse looks fine to be a friends animal (it is a lot better than the flamingo :tongue:), but I think the other friends one in the picture probably will go better with the minifigs size-wise :classic:

9 hours ago, CedBricks said:

On top of that, we should also note the coral that are hidden under the island/boat. Scientifically speaking, these are animals ;-)

:laugh:

14 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Forget the girly seahorse...when are we going to get a glimpse of that new manta ray?! 

Oh, is it a boy-y ray?

1 hour ago, williejm said:

Oh, is it a boy-y ray?

Maybe I should have added an emoji in case someone had a humour failure and thought my tongue in cheek comment was in fact ultra-serious and sexist? :innocent2:

As for “girly seahorses” they’d be the species whose males get pregnant and give birth, right? :wink:

Wow, it's really cool! It looks like a "regular" ray rather than a manta, I guess that's why it's tan rather than black?

56 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

A new manta ray piece has leaked :wub:

It’s a stingray not a giant manta like the old piece.

Dare I say it looks a bit Friends-ish but hey, any new ocean animal moulds are always welcome! 

2 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

It’s a stingray not a giant manta like the old piece.

Dare I say it looks a bit Friends-ish but hey, any new ocean animal moulds are always welcome! 

Of course, it’s a stingray, what was I thinking :blush:

I disagree about the Friends-ishness though, it neither has Friends-ified eyes nor the signature Friends-esque roundedness. It even has studs, which most Friends-y animal moulds lack

Oh wow that ray mould is amazing! Looks great from both the top and the underneath! Both this and the hammerhead shark are so good it's a shame there's no octopus update to go with them. 

7 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Of course, it’s a stingray, what was I thinking :blush:

I disagree about the Friends-ishness though, it neither has Friends-ified eyes nor the signature Friends-esque roundedness. It even has studs, which most Friends-y animal moulds lack

Yeah you're right, guess the tan with blue spots threw me at first glance but it's accurate for small common stingrays - at least it's not lavender with big blue eyes :iamded_lol:

I think it looks great :sweet:
It is OK too use it for freshwater stingrays also, even if the ones I have seen have a more round shape.

This is even better than getting a new updated mould for the old manta ray, well done Lego :thumbup:

39 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

it's a shame there's no octopus update to go with them. 

Was thinking that myself, an update to the classic octopus is long overdue.

Love the stingray. It’s another good year for animal moulds already. And agree that the octopus desperately needs an update now! 

8 hours ago, Roebuck said:

This is even better than getting a new updated mould for the old manta ray, well done Lego :thumbup:

The old one was very stylised, but given its shape and tail, not sure it could ever really be called a manta ray ...

29 minutes ago, williejm said:

The old one was very stylised, but given its shape and tail, not sure it could ever really be called a manta ray ...

Well it is huge, black and the tail is just Lego's way of pointing out that it is dangerous (the same as the arrowhead on the bow and arrow piece) :wink: Or maybe it was to prevent children from poking each other in the eyes, but a lot of them bite it instead :tongue:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Well it is huge, black and the tail is just Lego's way of pointing out that it is dangerous (the same as the arrowhead on the bow and arrow piece) :wink: Or maybe it was to prevent children from poking each other in the eyes, but a lot of them bite it instead :tongue:

Even more reason for it not to be a manta then, they’re not dangerous ;)

4 hours ago, williejm said:

The old Divers ray was closer in a design to a Cownose Ray or Eagle Ray, rather then a Manta, as it has no huge open mouth but a pointy head.

220px-Rhinoptera_bonasus_Brest.jpg

221px-Aetobatus_narinari_SI.jpg

That said, I like the new one as well, I do like the addition of Studs.

Edited by TeriXeri

56 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I do like the addition of Studs.

Perfect for Aquaman to bestride. Less so for a City or similar minifig you'd think (shades of Steve Irwin).

Great pics by the way, rays of all species are such elegantly beautiful creatures in our oceans - can't wait to see this City Divers subtheme (and mashing it up with our City of Atlantis set, complete with Manta Ray warrior minifigs!)

Edited by Lucarex

The new sting-ray is very nice.  I like the angler fish too although the color is odd, I still like the mold.  Both will be nice additions to my MOC's.

9 hours ago, williejm said:

Even more reason for it not to be a manta then, they’re not dangerous ;)

Tell that to Steve Irwin :tongue:, but that was probably a different type of stingray :shrug_oh_well:

7 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

The old Divers ray was closer in a design to a Cownose Ray or Eagle Ray, rather then a Manta, as it has no huge open mouth but a pointy head.

Yes could be, rays are not my strong suit I must admit. We have a few species in Norway that look closer to the new mould than the old, but they are usually living on deep water so do not know much about them :classic: