Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

20 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

Forget that - I have just seen a pic of the safari truck. There's a re-issue of the lion from the Jungle sets. A bit disappointing really as this was a perfect opportunity for something new.

Come on Lego, is it too much to ask for a giraffe and a hippo (particularly one that separates the upper and lower body so you have the option of it looking like it's semi-submerged)

It seems to be a tan version with new printed face - so it’s a proper ‘lioness’ and a new species for us, albeit using that same mould. 

I agree to wanting more animals, but kinda good to see us getting all the species we are getting with this mould too!

It’s also interesting that the first version that used a variant head was the sabre tooth car, not a male lion... 

2 hours ago, williejm said:

It seems to be a tan version with new printed face - so it’s a proper ‘lioness’ and a new species for us, albeit using that same mould. 

I agree to wanting more animals, but kinda good to see us getting all the species we are getting with this mould too!

It’s also interesting that the first version that used a variant head was the sabre tooth car, not a male lion... 

The lioness look fantastic and if we get a male lion in the future I will say that Lego have made every version of that mould that we need :sweet: Who would have thought that 5 year ago when we did not have a single "big cat", so well done Lego and keep the animals coming :thumbup:

The sets also has a parrot in blue/yellow so that is nice and the small bird comes in the postal air-plane set, all in all a very good city winter wave regarding animals :wub:

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The lioness look fantastic and if we get a male lion in the future I will say that Lego have made every version of that mould that we need :sweet: Who would have thought that 5 year ago when we did not have a single "big cat", so well done Lego and keep the animals coming :thumbup:

We still would need a snow leopard and white tiger 

and a cheetah but that would be a new mold an I’m not surprised that they chose a lioness over a male lion because they would need a new mold and if the set is $30 us or under they probably won’t make a new one 

Edited by 1Panda

4 hours ago, 1Panda said:

We still would need a snow leopard and white tiger 

and a cheetah but that would be a new mold an I’m not surprised that they chose a lioness over a male lion because they would need a new mold and if the set is $30 us or under they probably won’t make a new one 

I forgot the snow leopard, but a white tiger is not really necessary in my opinion. That is normally only seen in captivity so it is not high on my list..:classic:

On 11/19/2019 at 3:50 PM, williejm said:

The existing mountain lion can pass for a lioness. Sure, it has a pink nose, but so do some lions. So while the new lioness is welcome, it's not got me particularly excited.

The mountain lion doubling as a lioness:

highres_465783038.jpeg

On 11/20/2019 at 3:14 AM, 1Panda said:

...I’m not surprised that they chose a lioness over a male lion because they would need a new mold and if the set is $30 us or under they probably won’t make a new one 

Which is a shame as LEGO would only need to produce a mane piece that you would clip onto the existing big cat mould in much the same way that Playmobil does it. An entire new head piece would not be needed. A new head would incur moulding and additional assembly costs. But a mane piece alone would only have moulding costs, not assembly ones.

Edited by AmperZand

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Still holding out hope for the orca that was cancelled from last year’s City Arctic. 

Was it actually cancelled? I just thought it was a rumor that didn't pan out.

1 hour ago, K_Tiger said:

Was it actually cancelled? I just thought it was a rumor that didn't pan out.

I recall it was confirmed to be in a final flagship set of that subtheme, which was subsequently cancelled.

21 hours ago, AmperZand said:

The existing mountain lion can pass for a lioness. Sure, it has a pink nose, but so do some lions. So while the new lioness is welcome, it's not got me particularly excited.

The mountain lion doubling as a lioness:

It can pass yes, but the new lion look much better as a lion, just look at the eyes and from what I understand it is tan, the puma on the other hand is dark tan..

21 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Which is a shame as LEGO would only need to produce a mane piece that you would clip onto the existing big cat mould in much the same way that Playmobil does it. An entire new head piece would not be needed. A new head would incur moulding and additional assembly costs. But a mane piece alone would only have moulding costs, not assembly ones.

Lego have already made the sabretooth tiger with a different head, so I am pretty sure they will do the same if they make a new lion :wink: I think the moulding cost is much higher than the assembly cost (if there is a cost at all to the latter) :shrug_oh_well:Maybe the safari set sell so much that they decide to make a hole wave of sets next year with a male lion and several other animals :tongue:

Bulldog is in the tuning workshop set :wink:

the brown bulldog

Edited by Oniro
Color om bulldog

20 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Maybe the safari set sell so much that they decide to make a hole wave of sets next year with a male lion and several other animals :tongue:

That’s two of us 

I’ll probably end up buying two or three of that set anyway 

10 hours ago, Oniro said:

Bulldog is in the tuning workshop set :wink:

the brown bulldog

Thanks for the heads up, then that mystery is solved:thumbup:
Chihuahua is in the service stasion also. Lego must have hired a new dog lover as a city designer :sweet:

2 hours ago, 1Panda said:

I’ll probably end up buying two or three of that set anyway 

I will buy one set, but a lot of extra lions :wink:

I feel like I should buy some playmobile sets for some of the great animal moulds as honestly it seems very very unlikely LEGO will start making great new moulds or bring back elephants , playmobile currently even has a zoo theme going on

On 11/27/2019 at 10:31 PM, TheGlynreaper said:

I feel like I should buy some playmobile sets for some of the great animal moulds as honestly it seems very very unlikely LEGO will start making great new moulds or bring back elephants , playmobile currently even has a zoo theme going on

I have done that, but not for use with Lego :tongue: Strange that Playmobil can have that many sets based on animals, but Lego can not. At least Lego give us more and more different animals, but they have a way to go before they have the same abundance as Playmobil :shrug_oh_well:

Talking about new animals, did not think that it was any animals in the DC cmf, but there apparently is a fish in a new colour (lime green?!) there :wink:

Just found this topic, I have to share it with someone... so... WHY is there no Labrador mold?! :(

3 hours ago, adwind said:

Just found this topic, I have to share it with someone... so... WHY is there no Labrador mold?! :(

I suspect that until very recently Lego didn’t want to do any floppy eared dogs. The dachshund from cmf series 19 and the bulldog from the upcoming City sets are the first system style dogs with ears like that. 

With any luck, now that that particular barrier has been crossed we will eventually see a second large breed dog mold with floppy ears that can be used for a Labrador. (I’m also wondering if we could get a service dog style harness as well)

8 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

I suspect that until very recently Lego didn’t want to do any floppy eared dogs. The dachshund from cmf series 19 and the bulldog from the upcoming City sets are the first system style dogs with ears like that. 

With any luck, now that that particular barrier has been crossed we will eventually see a second large breed dog mold with floppy ears that can be used for a Labrador. (I’m also wondering if we could get a service dog style harness as well)

Hope your theory is right ))) So far my favorite mold is husky/malamute. I actually think that it's more like Malamute )

On 2/17/2019 at 7:14 AM, AE bricks said:

In that new color it doenst look like a husky at all but it works out great indeed...

IMG_20190217_135934.jpg

Actually with adding a bit more of black and white on a chest it could work as Bernese Mountain Dog... Too bad they didn't go this way!

I’m still surprised they didn’t reuse the husky mould in plain white for a Samoyed... maybe one day it will be a Build A Minifigure exclusive.

Totally agree on the Labrador. The dogs are being introduced in a strange order of breeds, with ‘obvious’ things like Labrador, poodle, collie and arguably Doberman still escaping us. 

19 hours ago, williejm said:

Totally agree on the Labrador. The dogs are being introduced in a strange order of breeds, with ‘obvious’ things like Labrador, poodle, collie and arguably Doberman still escaping us. 

And a beagle.

Oh yes, I love that bluebird! :wub: 

I can't find the chameleon on the modular bookstore pictures, could someone explain me where it is in the scene?

It's in a black terrarium in the attic of the bookstore building. just2good's video on youtube gives a nice look at it @ 1:25.