Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

On 8/15/2018 at 7:16 PM, BaneShake said:

I want to see the goat return. It was in something like one expensive Castle set and then never popped its pointy horns out again. Why on earth did TLG do that?

I believe it was from a City Farm sub theme from 2008/2009 (can’t remember precisely what year)

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

I believe it was from a City Farm sub theme from 2008/2009 (can’t remember precisely what year)

It was in the Mill Village Raid castle set - it was an odd one-off though. I think we are most likely to see a goat resurface in a CMF role ... as *surely* the most needed farm animal mould if farm sets happen would be a sheep 

20 hours ago, williejm said:

I've been thinking about the recent splurge of great animal moulds, and Lego's apparent resistance to ever doing a 'zoo' theme. Which got me thinking on why that is, what animals are actually 'needed', and how we might get them without a zoo theme.

Firstly, I think that we simply will never get a Lego zoo theme. Lego must have looked at this as an option, and decided against it. It may be an issue of a combination of things such as expensive animal moulds, lack of vehicles options (i mean, who needs a Zoo Copter?), but I think it's largely that it would spark a vocal minority of objectors to Lego celebrating animals in captivity and they just don't wanna go there.

Well they have Duplo Zoo (and even circus) all the time, so i do not think the hole "animals in captivity" is the main problem, probably more to do with what they think will sell in minifig scale (older children).. And they probably found out that a fun fair series was a safer bet then a zoo series, If anything i think friends may get a zoo theme some day (much more animals included in those sets, than in minifig ones unfortunately)..

20 hours ago, williejm said:

So what are the notable missing animals? I'd say priority Elephant, Lion, Giraffe, Zebra, Meerkats - all of which could reasonably appear as free ranging wild animals in a Safari or 'Safari police' ''Safari Vet' theme. Then you have other nice-to-haves like Kangaroo, Koala, Panda, Lemur and maybe a Gorilla or Orang Utan - these could feasibly be part of an Adventurers Theme reboot, and maybe even an 'Outback Police'.

Lion I am sure we will get soon, they only need to make a new head mould for the big cat (hopefully we get a female lion at the same time).. The elephant is one of the few animals that still have not gotten a updated mould, but they are getting close with this years mammoth.. The zebra and the panda may get away with a recolor, but probably every animal you mention needs the right theme to pop up. If it do we can get almost any animal we can think of, Lego are really hard to predict what animal they will make next, but at least they have been giving us quite a few recently :grin_wub:

Since zoo probably is not happening, a African safari theme would most likely give us most new moulds (a farm or farm castle theme would also be excellent) :excited:

It's been a while, about 25 years ago, that I'm waiting for theme like "Zoo" or "Farm", but now after reading this up, it could just be a sub-theme for City, it seems very logical, like a part of the town. With all the Zoo subtheme things, it could have a bus and bus-stop, foodtrucks for hot-dogs or ice-creams...a plenty of "City" theme things.

About the vehicles, in addition to the bus, Zoo bus stop, it could have a vet truck, a animal transport truck (for terrestrial or marine animals), even an Zoo copter for emergency, a cleaning-vehicle...? Well, there is always something to do for having a nice subtheme. :) :monkey:

Looks like a new small bird mould have leaked! Not sure what kind of bird it suppose to be, looks like something similar to a "white sparrow" :shrug_oh_well:

I think it‘s either a sparrow or a dove :thumbup: I wonder which theme it‘ll appear in, it‘s in none of the City sets and it wouldn‘t fit in the Friends theme... Maybe TLM2 or the still unknown modular building?

1 hour ago, julesvincent said:

Small animals could also always be in the collectable minifigures.

Indeed. And can see that one being reused/coloured for several - Snow White & bluebird, snowman & robin, coal miner and canary... ;)

I can't wait to see that new bird you're tyalking about.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:06 AM, julesvincent said:

Small animals could also always be in the collectable minifigures.

Now I think that we can say that small anilmals often come in CMF. We recently had 2 dogs, a great expected rabbit, the mouse, the lobster, the skunk. For now, only the lobster is used in other themes, and the skunk was used this year in a City set.

The mystery has been solved, the bird appears in one of the Aladdin sets :thumbup: I guess nobody saw that coming since the animals in the minidoll themes usually have cartoony eyes... Is this the first exception? :purrr:

Seems too useful a mould not to get wide reuse ... and interesting to see a non ‘Friendsy’ animal figure debut in a minidoll set. 

22 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

The bird appears in set # 41161 :classic: It's on the balcony right next to Jasmine :wink:

Thanks my friend, found it. It looks great! Smaller than I thought, actually more realistic than most small animal moulds in my opinion.

Great news!! What I was hoping the "xstra" polybags would develop into is happening :excited:

The first one with some animals have leaked (shark, fisk, parrot and seashell)! Not the most exiting animals out there and it could had at least one more fish and maybe a seagull instead of the parrot, but it is a great start :wub: What if we get "battle-packs" of farm animals, forest animals, jungle creatures etc that would be fantastic :grin_wub:

Other animal news:

The rabbit comes in its first set; the new modular (together with a frog, fish, parrot and dog)!

The skunk comes in a new city set (fire-plane).

A captain marvel set has a cat. We are not spoiled with animals in the superhero set, most disappointing was it that black panther 76099 did not include the first rihino mould (but some weird luggabeast instead) I must say.. 

The terrier comes in a new colour as Toto in the next CMF :thumbup:

The cat comes in a new mould in the same series, but that is a total abomination :sick: Why could they not have given Crookshanks a new mould instead of that waste of a mould :hmpf:

The frog and scorpion comes in tan in the dragon dance set if that is not mentioned already :classic:

21 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The cat comes in a new mould in the same series, but that is a total abomination :sick: Why could they not have given Crookshanks a new mould instead of that waste of a mould :hmpf:

Agree

We are still missing a duck and a sheep, and yet we get a cat with mohawk nobody asked for

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think Series 19 is our best bet now. It could be like Series 16 or 17, which had 2 new molds each

Yes, but so far series 19 is not even confirmed :wacko:

The WW set could give ut a normal animal or two in addision to the FB in the sets if we are lucky :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Roebuck said:

Yes, but so far series 19 is not even confirmed :wacko:

The WW set could give ut a normal animal or two in addision to the FB in the sets if we are lucky :shrug_oh_well:

Itaria said Series 19 will be out next fall