kbalage

[MOC] BMW WR 1000 - instructions available

I’d like to share a project I created for the BMW “Build to the future” Rebrick contest (congrats for the winners!). The aim was to create a futuristic BMW motorcycle while trying to match the style and colors of the brand. I did not try to add too much Technic functionality to the bike, I was rather focusing on the look and the overall presentation/photos. My submission entry was the following:

In the late 21th century only autonomous connected vehicles are allowed on public roads. Motorcycle enthusiasts can compete on closed tracks. The BMW WR 1000 is one of the finest examples of the specialized two wheelers built with a sole purpose – speed. Continuing the legacy of the world speed record breaker WR 750, this 1,000-HP all-electric motorcycle is the king of the tracks. It has two wheel hub motors powered by a quick-swap battery pack, enclosed in a lightweight carbon fiber tube frame. 

I definitely wanted to create a “tube frame” to support the different parts, luckily the different axles and connectors were flexible enough to create a 3d shape. I managed to hide the wires for the front and back lights, and to make the battery pack easily removable secured only by a single pin. I also wanted to create a proportional driver, so he was born of some Bionicle parts. The solar charging station was an additional idea at the end when I was taking the photos. Color stripes were created using electrical tape, and the creation of the first "action shoot" was a nice challenge too (there was no Photoshop trickery :) )

You can see below the entry photos, and you can find more if you're interested in my blog post.

01_P5010971_fb_ret_EB_ret.jpg

02_P5011004_fb_ret_EB_ret.jpg

03_P5011020_fb_ret_EB_ret.jpg

04b_P5031061_fb_ret_EB_ret.jpg

05_P5031053_fb_ret_EB_ret.jpg

Edited by kbalage

Great looking concept. Real badass :devil:. And the colorscheme is spot on. Frame is so familiar from somewhere, but I can't recall.... :grin: Charger is a fabulous extension for the subject. :thumbup:

Very cool entry, I feel some anime influence here. I love the pictures too, especially the first one, great edit: excellent composition! :thumbup:

Edited by agrof

Thank you very much guys. Now that you mentioned the anime influence I have to agree although it was not intentional, maybe the Bionicle figure adds to it. I could not use any parts from other themes (e.g. Star Wars) according to the rules so I had to stick to this robotic guy :) I was quite surprised that no one else tried to add a driver.

Surprised me too that you didn't fit (at least) into the runner ups. Well built, well presented model you made. On my list you are in the top 3 if it helps. :sweet: 

That rider and charging station are both nice touches to finish off this great model. What really stands out to me is the frame made of connectors, it looks really "clean," and I like it very much.

Somehow I didn't saw it at contest entrys. I just don't remember this one. This is one of the best looking for that contest. I also like, that it is still motorcycle, not some probable flying or levitating thing.

So, are winners allready announced?! It was planned on 26.05.

Yes, I see, that allready are anounced. I think, that Your's is better than some of the runner-ups.

That one is really cool :thumbup: like direct from Universal studios. I really like simplicity, good balanced battery and e-motor placement, but what is most pleasant is rear shock absorber :classic: - one of my favorite LEGO Technic parts (only I have yellow ones).

Thank you folks for the nice feedback, really appreciated. Regarding the results I assume my bike was not "Technic" enough, as it is made mostly of Technic components but lacks any additional functionality. The original description that described the judging criteria is not available anymore, but I know that the presentation/photo techniques were not part of them unfortunately :) Anyway I really enjoyed the build and I'm happy with the result :) I'll share soon some behind the scenes photos for the action shot, that was real fun :)

@AFOLegofan66 Thank you!

As I was asked about the motion effect of the first picture, let me show you some behind the scenes shots about it. The Rebrick contest allowed only 5 photos to be submitted, I wanted at least one of them to be really dynamic and to show the motorcycle in motion. I had some vague ideas at the beginning how this can be achieved, but with the help of some household items and leftover furniture pieces the following setup was born:

2017-05-25-13.30.36_EB_ret.jpg

The upper structure can move on the IKEA rolling plant stand turned upside down. The support holding the bike is built on a large base plate. This is how it looks without the motorcycle (the white piece of wood could be used as a handle to move the upper part back and forth):

2017-05-25-13.29.58_EB_ret.jpg

The motorcycle had an additional stand that goes into the hole in the “road” which is a large piece of gray photo background paper. Tyre marks and other road surface marks are hand drawn, the finish line is made of electrical tape. The motorcycle with the stand:

P5010984_EB_ret.jpg

And the complete setup assembled:

2017-05-01-17.21.28_EB_ret.jpg

The “road” piece could be moved back a forth a couple of centimeters. That was enough motion to achieve the desired effect – with a shutter speed of 1/3 sec the road was blurry enough and the wheels had the necessary amount of motion to have a nice result:

01_P5010971_fb_ret_EB_ret.jpg

Very good model and excellent photo indeed. Creative solution to achieve this effect with simple household items. What camera are you using?

Wow, I would have thought you just used Photoshop to achieve the blurred background, but you did it the old fashioned mechanical way.  Good work!

@Blakbird @Jurss Thank you, I did not want to fake any effect for the contest so I had to do it in the oldschool way :)

@HallBricks I have an Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera with a couple of lenses, I use mostly the kit 12-60mm and the 45mm F1.8 for Lego photography.

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

I did not want to fake any effect for the contest so I had to do it in the oldschool way :)

Even the professionals say you should do as little as possible in editing softwares. If something can be done the "old school" way, they result will probably be even better. It's also great fun to come up with such creative solutions as you did. Great work!