Murdoch17

Johnny Thunder / Adventurers - Mysterious Jungle Temple (21132 MOD) - real world model

This model was based on set 21132 from the Minecraft theme, which was expanded and modified to be quite a bit larger with surrounding rock features, dangerous rope bridge, a second room and cave for the man-tiger creature. The first half of the map (the one the pirate had) described in the text is this one here while the one half Johnny had is in this link.

Early summer, 1926, somewhere in the jungles of a forgotten island off the coast of South America...

36184714212_452686f7f7_z.jpg

This is it: the Temple of the Unknown Question. Inside this structure is the other-worldly Guardian which will grant you either fantastic riches, immortality, or infinite knowledge... your choice is one of those three. (If you answer it's question correctly of course!)

To reach the secluded temple, Johnny Thunder had to follow a certain map: the only problem was a 17th century pirate had the other half of said map on his ship. To find the temple, he had to find pirate, who had already answered the question and become immortal. Upon finding him, the pirate gave the map (and some advice) to Johnny, who then had it stolen by Lord Sam Sinister. After following Sam to the hidden island and the temple therein, Johnny and company have to think fast to stop Sam from getting to the ancient guardian first!

36184714722_e565eda785_z.jpg

Just your average rickety / unstable rope bridge, placed right before the temple entrance.

36184715322_e59e583a2f_z.jpg

...It even collapses on the pull of a Technic pin!

36184715582_80f2d43e95_z.jpg

Three switches are inside the first room. The two outer ones will unlock the the mechanism to reveal a treasure chest, while the middle one is a dummy lever.

36184715962_5041d2f296_z.jpg

With the two outer levers flipped down, the chest is revealed. However, inside this chest is a Pandora's box of sorts: opening it will let out a bright light for 30 seconds or so, as it sucks those unfortunate enough to see the light into the infinitely larger space in the chest and then slams shut on itself. (kinda like the Ark of the Covenant from "Raiders of the Lost Ark")

In universe, this box will be taken by Sam Sinister as he thinks it contains the treasure he seeks. Meanwhile the good guys notice the door to a second room and crawl through it as soon as the bad guys leave with the false treasure.

36184716342_735386d489_z.jpg

This secret second room holds the treasure guardian statue, and a back exit from the temple via a damaged wall. Just be careful not to wake the mighty tiger-man on your way out!

In-universe description: 

The real treasure is inside the second room: after seeing the notched arrows placed by the pirate many years ago on the first room's walls, Johnny finds the small secret door and enters this room to find the guardian and five jewels. (four on walls, one on the staff in guardian's hand) The statue awakens, and asks for a member of the party to come forward to receive the question. Heeding the pirate's advice, he sends Miss Pippin Reed to do the honors, as she alone can answer what no man can answer. (she is no man, after all) After relaying the answer via whisper, her mind is wiped of the question and answer, and is given the choice of immeasurable wealth, eternal life or infinite knowledge. She chooses not to choose, saying the gifts are too large for one person (or group of people) to share. Thus, the adventurers walk back outside and plant dynamite to blow the temple sky-high, thus destroying any chance of anyone, good or evil ever getting the question right again.

36184716502_1587d0f71c_z.jpg

The man-tiger guards his cave under the temple. Be careful Johnny and company, or you'll be a mid-afternoon snack for this hungry fellow!

BUILDER'S NOTES:

34784966266_6a1067a4a1_z.jpg

This is the original LDD build of the temple... quite a change to now!

EDIT 8/3/17: Added more recent real life pictures and modified the text!

Edited by Murdoch17

slight BUMP:

This model has been heavily modified with a different color scheme to be less of a dark gray blob (unlike the original Minecraft set), with tan, gold and light gray being added into the model.

34784966266_6a1067a4a1_z.jpg

Below is the new version, above is the old version. Quite a difference, don't you think?

34158250223_7be32a2932_z.jpg

I also designed this with the idea it could be used with the CITY jungle sets in a more modern day take on the story used in the first post. When this model is built in real life, I will add a jungle cat (probablyy a panther) and a couple of new man-eating plants common in the 2017 Jungle sets. The new machete and spider parts will also be used, along with a few of the scientists... maybe even one of these guys as well!

On 6/1/2017 at 7:48 AM, Lordofdragonss said:

It still looks borring and too simple. Using the "brickbricks' or even some snot mounted tiles will help!

I did think about SNOT work, but the classic vibes I was trying to create did not look good. I did try though! However, your brick-brick idea may be in a future update though. For now though, the temple been updated with several new things, including the lair of the Tiger-man creature in the back corner and two conquistador skeletons. I plan on also using a couple man eating plants and machetes from the new CITY jungle sets as well.

34400625664_a821dc707f.jpg

(This picture is from Brick-link) This tiger-man creature from the 2003 "Orient Expedition" line will go alongside my new jungle temple, even though their are no tigers in South America.

Oh, and the main post has been updated!

Edited by Murdoch17

Just got done typing this backstory on the Adventurers / Alpha team crossover character, Lord Ogel, while I wait for the rest of my Jungle Temple parts to arrive.

35095425303_aa893effd8_z.jpg

I'm just waiting on the last order to begin construction of the main temple structure.... this is about as far as it can go without the missing parts.

..anyway, here goes the "Saga of Ogel":

35772124851_736b7dc97e_n.jpg

Born in 1893 as the last heir of the nation that bears his name, (Ogel) William Joseph Ogel was determined at an early age to rule his country with a iron fist. He became Lord (emperor, in effect)  of the country in 1910 and heir to his ancestor Vladek's mysterious powers. (today we would call this physic energy "mind control") However, his control oddly ended at the border of his country. Desperate for power, he devised a scheme to amplify his powers using a strange substance known then as Ogelium to be dispersed via an unknown method. (probably via the water supply) Thankfully, World War I intervened before he could enact his plan, and he scaled back his plans until 1918, when the war ended. He had stayed out of the conflict, and secretly built up his military in the process. In 1920 he lost his left eye in a accident with a small sample of Ogelium, after which William kept the glowing ruby-red socket behind an eye-patch from then on.

Determined once more to take over the world on his own terms,  in 1925 he contacted Lord Sam Sinister to get him objects of great supernatural power. This eventually led him to the un-named jungle island where he and Sinister actually beat Johnny Thunder and company to the treasure at the last minute. Determined not to share the treasure with anyone, Ogel greedily double-crossed Sinister and grabbed the "treasure" for himself and his army of mind-controlled soldiers. Sam then go into a sword fight with William, which William won, but at the price of his left hand.

Afterwards, it was revealed the treasure William took was fake, and than Johnny and Sam had joined forces to blow up the temple after the fight. This was done to prevent William from returning and getting the real deal. Furious, Ogel replaced his hand with one of Ogelium and permanently removed his patch so that anyone could see his scarred eye.

After having lost his country during a Great Depression-era revolution, Ogel retreated to his island fortress, whereupon he plotted and schemed for around 30 years to regain his evil standing with the world. By the 1960's, he had gained the notoriety of a urban legend, a myth mothers told their children to scare them to behave. But certain world leaders knew he was real, and still alive due to an mechanical encounter suit to keep him physically fit into his 70's. After firing a nuclear rocket at the moon in 1970 to announce to his demands for world conquest (or else!), he was the subject of the newly-formed Alpha Team mission, which sank him - and his entire base - to the deep ocean depths.

In 1979, he reemerged from the depths using nuclear-mutated sea life to try to conquer the world once more, and was again stopped by Alpha Team. In 1988, he tried to freeze the world solid, in an "If I can't have it, neither can you" scenario, only to be stopped by Alpha team's leader, Agent Zed. In the process of fighting Zed, Ogel was finally defeated by destroying his encounter suit, revealing the frail, 95-year old man inside. Ogel's final act was to take a fatal does of Ogelium, killing him nearly instantly... but not before detonating a remote nuclear device, destroying Zed and much of Ogel Island.

....rumors persist, however, of a young clone of Ogel running amok in the world, trying to regain his evil place in the world as late as 2012....

The Digital screenshots and LDD file in the first post updated to match the real model! (which still isn't finished yet, as I'm still waiting for one last package to ship!) Also, as per suggestion from @Lordofdragonss, I added brick-bricks to the model, and i have to say it look much better now!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 7/13/2017 at 3:34 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Born in 1893 as the last heir of the nation that bears his name, (Ogel) William Joseph Ogel was determined at an early age to rule his country with a iron fist. He became Lord (emperor, in effect)  of the country in 1910 and heir to his ancestor Vladek's mysterious powers. (today we would call this physic energy "mind control") However, his control oddly ended at the border of his country. Desperate for power, he devised a scheme to amplify his powers using a strange substance known then as Ogelium to be dispersed via an unknown method. (probably via the water supply) Thankfully, World War I intervened before he could enact his plan, and he scaled back his plans until 1918, when the war ended. He had stayed out of the conflict, and secretly built.....

Woah, that is quite the timeline plot. :oh:

I think your historical merging of the Adventurers and Alpha Team themes works seamlessly well, and I really like how you made the Alpha Team a Cold War era espionage agency. :thumbup:

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Woah, that is quite the timeline plot. :oh:

I think your historical merging of the Adventurers and Alpha Team themes works seamlessly well, and I really like how you made the Alpha Team a Cold War era espionage agency. :thumbup:

Thanks, I try to make my historical-based posts as realistic as possible!

EDIT: I forgot to say, I also include Knight's Kingdom II (Vladek is the bad guy from that theme and is an Ogel's ancestor), Pharaoh's Quest and Monster Fighters (Jake Raines and Major Quentin Steele also are on the Adventurers team) into my LEGO-universe.... along with a bunch of other themes via peripheral links, such as Ogel Island is in LEGO Island trilogy - universe, and as such he is friends with the master criminal named "The Brickster".

Edited by Murdoch17

Phase one (the temple proper) is completely built in real life, but phase two (the cliff-face under the temple) is about to begin ordering!

35947844972_6606f309fd_z.jpg

The already built portion will fit nicely into the space above the black parts. The current cave at the rear of the built-portion will be moved to the a new spot just below it's current location.

..oh, and yes, that is a dump-over rope bridge, kinda like from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The action feature operates via a pull-pin to dislodge would-be plunderers into the river below!

Edited by Murdoch17

36184714212_452686f7f7_z.jpg

The build is finally finished, with the rock-work completed and building firmly attached. first post updated as usual!

Model update:

I need to build several base-plates full of trees to surround the Adventurers MOC Temple display I built a while back.

36731327106_6664f8a4d1_z.jpg

This may take some time to do, as it will cost over $250 (US) to build all eight base-plates of 18 trees apiece, or 144 trees total...

Oh, and I need it done by end of October / early November at the latest! (No pressure! :sarcasm_hmpf:)