Epic Technic

[WIP] Audi TT LPE Drift Car- Shaping the body

So finally I'm starting a new project, I've had a mini dark age for the past few months so its really nice to be back. I've always been an Audi guy and I really wanted to build a sports car that no one else has, so I chose a TT. To make it more interesting, I'm going with a rear wheel drive LPE powered drifting TT. Current specifications:

- V2 LPE for propulsion

- Servo for steering

- No differential 

- No suspension

And of course its going to be red with black accents.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

I also did some quick Photoshop just to see what it could look like in dark blue.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Progress will be quite slow for the next few weeks as I have final exams coming up.

Edited by Epic Technic

Looks really good so far, are you going to put a sticker on the headlights?

Another thing, you probably need to brace the gears better, I think they will slip under stress.

interesting project.  Couple of questions:

You sure only a v2 going to be powerful enough? 

and

If you are going to coat the tires with something, perhaps just coat them with something slippery... a little baby powder (just a tiny bit; or just coat the surface of what you are driving on with baby powder) or even silicone lubricant or something.  I think this would be better than what is covering them at the moment. 

The front looks terrific IMO.....

The front looks cool, but I am not sure if the V2 engine is strong enough for drifting. And I think the gears will need to be braced since the double bevel gear can slide at the moment.

9 hours ago, JJ2 said:

Looks really good so far, are you going to put a sticker on the headlights?

Another thing, you probably need to brace the gears better, I think they will slip under stress.

Thanks, I hadn't though about putting sticker on but I might now and yeah, the gears do probably need to be better braced. 

8 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

interesting project.  Couple of questions:

You sure only a v2 going to be powerful enough? 

and

If you are going to coat the tires with something, perhaps just coat them with something slippery... a little baby powder (just a tiny bit; or just coat the surface of what you are driving on with baby powder) or even silicone lubricant or something.  I think this would be better than what is covering them at the moment. 

The front looks terrific IMO.....

This is one of my most compact and powerful v2 LPE. It's not using stock cylinders though, they have been oiled and drilled, but the switches are not modified. Thanks for all the tips for the wheels, I'll have to do some testing.

8 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Very nice! Can't wait to see how it'll turn out!

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

The front looks cool, but I am not sure if the V2 engine is strong enough for drifting. And I think the gears will need to be braced since the double bevel gear can slide at the moment.

I think it's powerful enough and I agree, the gears do need better bracing.

You could use these gears, as You allready have 1:1 radio

4203493.jpg

Bur RWD Audi, it's something ...

When I saw a Topic at the first I thought something like this but then I say 62.4 tires and V2 engine - with all respect a bit unexpected (for me) *huh*

Interesting project!

Not sure if its helpful or not, but the guys who build Tamiya Drift cars wrap the tyres with electrical tape to make them drift, I've tried this myself and it does really work!

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

RWD audi with mid engine. Add front drive and you have r8 :wink:

But I'm waiting for the results!

3 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Interesting project!

Not sure if its helpful or not, but the guys who build Tamiya Drift cars wrap the tyres with electrical tape to make them drift, I've tried this myself and it does really work!

Me too, works well with reg tape also. or get a pair of plastic drift tires.

8 hours ago, Jurss said:

You could use these gears, as You allready have 1:1 radio

4203493.jpg

doesn't that gear get stuck a lot at high torque? I've experienced it once......

46 minutes ago, move5 said:

doesn't that gear get stuck a lot at high torque? I've experienced it once......

Not to mention it will cause tons of friction and power loss.

Honestly, I don't think the v2 LPE will give the beveled gears a problem.  Yes, it isn't the strongest setup, but we aren't dealing with much weight here (or power for that matter). Not to mention the tires will be slick by either tape or something else. Imo, either lack of power or slipping tires will occur before the gears give......

On 21/05/2017 at 8:52 PM, Epic Technic said:

So finally I'm starting a new project, I've had a mini dark age for the past few months so its really nice to be back. I've always been an Audi guy and I really wanted to build a sports car that no one else has, so I chose a TT. To make it more interesting, I'm going with a rear wheel drive LPE powered drifting TT. Current specifications:

- V2 LPE for propulsion

- Servo for steering

- No differential 

- No suspension

And of course its going to be red with black accents.

I also did some quick Photoshop just to see what it could look like in dark blue.

Progress will be quite slow for the next few weeks as I have final exams coming up.

Wow awesome!! Looks great so far :thumbup: I've been trying to make a lpe for ages.. need another modded switch though :look:

Edited by legotechnicisawesome

Thanks for all the feedback guys. No worries, the project is still going on, I've made good progress of the body work and engine. Photos coming soon.

13 hours ago, legotechnicisawesome said:

Wow awesome!! Looks great so far :thumbup: I've been trying to make a lpe for ages.. need another modded switch though :look:

You shouldn't need any modded pieces to make an LPE, none of my engines use modded switches, just drilled and oiled cylinders.

The front looks brilliant! Just one tiny point - the grille would maybe look better if you swapped out the blue pins for black ones.  No big deal though :classic:

2 hours ago, Epic Technic said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. No worries, the project is still going on, I've made good progress of the body work and engine. Photos coming soon.

You shouldn't need any modded pieces to make an LPE, none of my engines use modded switches, just drilled and oiled cylinders.

I'm making a small cylinder v2.. so..

4 hours ago, Epic Technic said:

Drilled cylinder is a modded piece.  And there are huge differences between LPEs when using modded versus unmodded pieces.  If drilling cylinders.... you may as well also modify the switches.  No heroism in modifying cylinders but not switches. 

Don't want to sound cynical... this indeed is a great project.  I love the looks of the Audi so far.... really great.  But still curious about the small LPE being able to make this drift.  Have you done any tests yet on the small LPE?  You may want to do this before proceeding.  Hate to see all the wonderful bodywork, etc. be done, only to find out that the small LPE can't power this into drifting......

6 hours ago, Paknaloid said:

The front looks brilliant! Just one tiny point - the grille would maybe look better if you swapped out the blue pins for black ones.  No big deal though :classic:

Thanks, I would love to use black pins, but unfortunately I do not have any of them.

4 hours ago, legotechnicisawesome said:

I'm making a small cylinder v2.. so..

Ahh, I thought you were working with the medium sized cylinders. Small cylinders are not that powerful so modded switches are needed.

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Drilled cylinder is a modded piece.  And there are huge differences between LPEs when using modded versus unmodded pieces.  If drilling cylinders.... you may as well also modify the switches.  No heroism in modifying cylinders but not switches.

My wording was a bit weird. I meant to say that it is possible to make LPEs without any modded pieces, but I do use modded cylinders in all my engines. I have tried modifying switches, but every time I try, air leaks out of them like crazy, if you have any tips then do please tell me. :wink:

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Don't want to sound cynical... this indeed is a great project.  I love the looks of the Audi so far.... really great.  But still curious about the small LPE being able to make this drift.  Have you done any tests yet on the small LPE?  You may want to do this before proceeding.  Hate to see all the wonderful bodywork, etc. be done, only to find out that the small LPE can't power this into drifting.....

I have tested the LPE and the car, and they work fantastically. The engine is extremely smooth and revs decently high for such a simple engine.The car sort of drifts with tape on the wheels. I will start using electrical tape on the wheel as it will give it a bit more traction over regular tape which should make the Audi TT a bit easier to control. Thanks for all the feedback, I really do appreciate it!

P.S. I'm also working on an AWD drift chassis with a rear bias toque split powered by an interesting LPE.

12 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Could you make instructions for the engine? I have always wanted to try one.

I will try to make instructions for it, but the they won't be out right away.