Set rating  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

well i'm surprised to see a more complex design than I first thought. The rocket looks pretty nice, however, as such doesn't really appeal to me. Don't really understand why they're launching this set, honestly...

51 minutes ago, snefroe said:

well i'm surprised to see a more complex design than I first thought. The rocket looks pretty nice, however, as such doesn't really appeal to me. Don't really understand why they're launching this set, honestly...

Did something get left out of your post? You said the rocket looks nice, and therefore doesn't appeal to you?

As for why they're launching it, it got 10,000 supporters, and apparently had a strong enough business case to pass review. The overwhelmingly positive reception from reviewers and other press seems to indicate that that business case had merit...

Very cool set! I am wondering if I could get a bit more detail on the part of the rocket with the lunar lander and command/service module.

1) It looks to me like the command module is a 4x4x2 white cone in the main build, but... a 4x4x2 printed grey cone when landed (it also appears to show the grey piece on the page with the "Transposition, docking, and extraction")? Does this mean you'd have to physically swap the pieces out? (less cool if so!)

2) Is the command/service module otherwise complete in the rocket? i.e. the engine for the service module looks like it's hiding inside the hollow white cone that hides the lander - does it go all the way through and connect or do you have to "assemble" it (or any other parts) after the hollow cones or the launch escape system come off?

These details are important to me :classic:. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Erynion said:

It looks to me like the command module is a 4x4x2 white cone in the main build, but... a 4x4x2 printed grey cone when landed

The Saturn V launched with the Command Module covered by a white "Booster Protection Cover" (BPC) that was topped with the launch escape tower.  When the Saturn V got out the main part of the atmosphere the tower jet was no longer useful if the mission had to be aborted and so it was jettisoned, exposing the silver-grey Command Module.  For Lego, there is no existing part that can cover the 4x4 cone piece (and as an Ideas set, they are not allowed to create any new parts).  So yes, you do have to physically swap the 4x4 cones out, but only once your rocket is in orbit :laugh:

16 minutes ago, Erynion said:

Is the command/service module otherwise complete in the rocket? i.e. the engine for the service module looks like it's hiding inside the hollow white cone that hides the lander

The Command/Service Module is complete and always has the engine bell attached - a very clever solution using a Technic axle 4 with centre stop adds a gap between the engine and Service Module, so that the cone halves can close around it.  There is also space inside the cone for the Eagle lunar lander, though I keep mine on the lunar surface display base.

Trust me, you will love this set.:grin:

5 hours ago, NathanR said:

The Saturn V launched with the Command Module covered by a white "Booster Protection Cover" (BPC) that was topped with the launch escape tower.  When the Saturn V got out the main part of the atmosphere the tower jet was no longer useful if the mission had to be aborted and so it was jettisoned, exposing the silver-grey Command Module.  For Lego, there is no existing part that can cover the 4x4 cone piece (and as an Ideas set, they are not allowed to create any new parts).  So yes, you do have to physically swap the 4x4 cones out, but only once your rocket is in orbit :laugh:

The Command/Service Module is complete and always has the engine bell attached - a very clever solution using a Technic axle 4 with centre stop adds a gap between the engine and Service Module, so that the cone halves can close around it.  There is also space inside the cone for the Eagle lunar lander, though I keep mine on the lunar surface display base.

Trust me, you will love this set.:grin:

Very helpful explanation :thumbup: thanks!

Excited for this set!

I started building this beauty, and I'm finished with the first module (bags 1-5 ) right now.

It is a real pleasure building it and it is going to be a personal top-scorer! Definitive among the TOP 10 LEGO sets of all time! :wub:

That's great to hear! Still have to build mine.

Care to elaborate why you like this build so much? 

On 27.6.2017 at 7:20 PM, Jim said:

That's great to hear! Still have to build mine.

Care to elaborate why you like this build so much? 

Yep, I can: First of all it IS a beauty, it looks great on display and it's huuuge!

Building the rocket is full of small wonders: First you think 'this can't be right' and in the end it works perfectly. But besides all that it's nearly crammed with unusual building techniques. :wub: Sideways building, using clips and ball joints - a variety of new printed parts, no stickers. And it is stable! I would say you better not swoosh it due to the size, but if you really wish... :wink:
On a sidenote you really have to look out to place everything in the right place and it's also repetetive, but in this case it didn't bother me at all - I enjoyed every single minute building it. I took my time and had 3 days of building pleasure.

Sounds great :thumbup:

Will be opening mine soon :sweet:

As of 7/13/17 set still seems to be unavailable and if it weren't for how awesome this set really is, I probably would have distributed my budget elsewhere. Seems it has been about a month now that this set has been unavailable any specific date of availability would be nice to know.:hmpf_bad: 

Received mine yesterday and I'm surprised how quickly it all comes together. 

Really great model

That is absolutely cool! I will never be able to make something like this. I would like to get this as a display piece!

I finally got my hands on a copy of this set yesterday! Was it from the third or already forth (or even more) wave of sets; i really don't know.

This is a amazing set. Like many others already pointed out, it has brilliant building techniques and really stands out. And it is big, really BIG!

I had a little under 6 hours of building fun; totally worth the money!

.Too bad one piece was broken.; it looks like somebody was hungry at the factory

36853531021_f8cd55929d_c.jpg

Melted it seems.

Already contacted LEGO for this, sent pic?

They gonna give u a new one, and they gonna ask for the number on the sticker aswell

Regarding the upper grey module vs the white.  aka 4x4x2 cone.  I thought about what if the white cone was hollowed out by tools and sanded to fit the top of the grey module?  Use a technic axil to connect the two pirces.  I won't have the opportunity to build the rocket till after xmas.

13 minutes ago, shopsmart said:

Regarding the upper grey module vs the white.  aka 4x4x2 cone.  I thought about what if the white cone was hollowed out by tools and sanded to fit the top of the grey module?  Use a technic axil to connect the two pirces.  I won't have the opportunity to build the rocket till after xmas.

Hollowed out? Sanded? Blasphemy!

In all seriousness, I don't know if that would work out, since, in order to fit the white cone on top of the grey one, the white one should be bigger than the grey, and they are both the same size. Even after sanding the interior of the white piece to make it thinner, I think it would look odd if it were able to fit, which I'm not sure it could.

Well, think of stacking cups.  On my next bricklink order, I will try and gets some cone sets to experiment with.  It might look odd, but trying to think outside the box to try and solve what doesn't exist yet.

I've been dabbling with the idea of building a displaycase for the saturn v...

Here's my first attempt:

37238659425_d6a9f6b7ee_c.jpg

It's made of safety glass and kind of heavy.

AND BIG!

Edited by JunkstyleGio

The price at TRU in Australia & New Zealand is $169.99 (lowest possible price here).

Toyworld will get them stocked this October. Price is likely to be the same as mentioned above.

I might get one for Christmas and if not, I'll set our tree and its decos ablaze!:devil: