makoy

[MOC] [WIP] Maz Kanata's Castle

This MOC is my entry to a local contest organised for Star Wars 40th Anniversary.

I began organising the parts needed around January 2017. It took 2-3 weeks of planning because I don't stock many parts. I did a MOC on Mos Eisley Cantina so this seems like the natural progression to me.

The main challenge here is finding good material for the model reference and the scale that I will use. For economical reasons, I followed the same scale used in 75139 Battle on Takodana. I used 3 sets to build the basic "U" structure then everything else is procured from Bricklink. 

It took about 5-6 weeks to design because with my goal is to make it faithful to the actual model used in the movie. I did a lot of revisions especially on the angled corners of the building. The actual build took less than 1 week initially but it gathered dust until March 2017 when I went back to redo the whole build to add interior design from the  ground up. Finally it took another 1 week to do furnishing and adding the customised flags. 

34704769326_a028cd2da0_c.jpg

34704768986_75b8ee0eb5_c.jpg

34582812942_d84e27d272_c.jpg

34615726442_27725d5584_c.jpg

There are 2-3 more building modules not completed which I will complete in 2-3 months as I expand this MOC.

Edited by makoy

Hello!

This is an epic scene, I'm sure that you will win the local contest! Great job on the flags I'm looking forward to seeing the other modules, good luck!

Kind regards, Ellis.

Looks fantastic. Nice to see a bit of height to it as well. How does the inside look? 

Absolutely beautiful rendition. I could look at this all day in its current condition. Looking forward to seeing what more you do with it if you do anything else.

This looks great. I don't remember much from the movie, but I did buy the set recently. This looks much better. And the flags are a great touch. I'll have to rewatch that movie sometime.

Amazing! Can't wait to see more. The flags look awesome! And the droid is cool too. Plus if you ever accidently drop it on the ground you can just claim it was after the battle. Anyhow awesome moc! :thumbup:

7 hours ago, mrcngrck said:

stunning

7 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Hello!

This is an epic scene, I'm sure that you will win the local contest! Great job on the flags I'm looking forward to seeing the other modules, good luck!

Kind regards, Ellis.

6 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

I just want to see 1000 more photos of this! Fantastic. 

4 hours ago, Forresto said:

Absolutely beautiful rendition. I could look at this all day in its current condition. Looking forward to seeing what more you do with it if you do anything else.

3 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

This looks great. I don't remember much from the movie, but I did buy the set recently. This looks much better. And the flags are a great touch. I'll have to rewatch that movie sometime.

Thanks for the compliments! All of you. The contest is already over and I got 3rd place. There are very talented MOCers in the competition and I'll just plug the 1st place winner here because he deserves it.

The current condition is just within 48x48 as it is part of the contest rules that I had to comply but the whole Castle should span at least 3 more additional baseplates when this project is completed. The goal is to be able to take the same picture like this:

Maz_Kanatas_castle.png

I'll take more pictures of the development

5 hours ago, Borex said:

Looks fantastic. Nice to see a bit of height to it as well. How does the inside look? 

You're not seeing the taller tower yet. I am proud to achieve that about 2 feet height and even with that height I am able to grab it with one hand and carry it like a baseball bat.  

As for what it looks inside -- 

34582812622_f76f05e0c6_c.jpg

I have hidden the "Death troopers" since I have taken this picture because they're not supposed to be in this scene following the canon timeline, but who knows? The could be just 2 pretenders.

2 hours ago, FishW said:

Amazing! Can't wait to see more. The flags look awesome! And the droid is cool too. Plus if you ever accidently drop it on the ground you can just claim it was after the battle. Anyhow awesome moc! :thumbup:

The other members of the LUG are also interested about the "Battle of Takodana" scene with my castle. This amused me because I nearly won 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle (2nd place prize).

P.S. Could any moderator correct the spelling of the topic... totally not thinking of ninja or samurai when I was typing that.

Edited by makoy
ok, found a workaround

2 hours ago, makoy said:

P.S. Could any moderator correct the spelling of the topic... totally not thinking of ninja or samurai when I was typing that.

You can edit it yourself :wink:

Stunning MOC by the way! :thumbup:

3 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

You can edit it yourself :wink:

Stunning MOC by the way! :thumbup:

Not is Star Wars forum

1 hour ago, makoy said:

Not in Star Wars forum

Weird. I can edit mine. May be an error for you, but I don't wanna derail this thread. Can't wait to see more!

3 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Weird. I can edit mine. May be an error for you, but I don't wanna derail this thread. Can't wait to see more!

There is a way to edit the title directly without hitting the 'edit' button in the default theme but this is not present in the custom Star Wars theme, I guess.... Anyway, was able to edit the title already.

As for seeing more, I will just take more pictures but I'll continue adding things on ths MOC around July.

Love it!! I have one suggestion for the minifig statue, but it would require some painting.  Perhaps you could take the Maz Kanata figure and paint it to match the color of the other bricks in order to get her as the statue.

-Christian

10 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

Love it!! I have one suggestion for the minifig statue, but it would require some painting.  Perhaps you could take the Maz Kanata figure and paint it to match the color of the other bricks in order to get her as the statue.

-Christian

I wanted to stay  as purist as possible, but with the custom flags I think doing a paint job for Maz Kanata's moulded head is fine... but even if I have an extra Maz Kanata that I can paint dark tan, I am not used to customising minifigs this way. 

Beautiful rendition of the Castle! I hope to see it expand!

So much details! Love it!

I am not too familiar with the Castle but may I know why the top tower portion is not fitted on but at an angle?

Love it! I also like Fett's flag in use in the courtyard heh heh! 

Now if only we got a play set in a similar vein to this and I would be all over it! Loved this scene in TFA and always love seeing people's renditions of the castle in LEGO. 

Edited by Japanbuilder

28 minutes ago, Azrielsc said:

Beautiful rendition of the Castle! I hope to see it expand!

So much details! Love it!

I am not too familiar with the Castle but may I know why the top tower portion is not fitted on but at an angle?

18 minutes ago, Japanbuilder said:

Love it! I also like Fett's flag in use in the courtyard heh heh! 

Now if only we got a play set in a similar vein to this and I would be all over it! Loved this scene in TFO and always love seeing people's renditions of the castle in LEGO. 

@Azrielsc the castle is designed like a trapezium where no sides are parallel to each other, except the 2 parallel walls in front, all sides of the castle are not parallel. I can confirm this because I've seen the actual 3D model used in the movie.

@Japanbuilder this is my entry point to Castle-Star Wars hybrid MOC... ;) that's why I invested so much on dark tan.

Very nice. I am looking looking forward to seeing it completed. As far as I know, you have the only one so far that attempted to do both the inside and outside. Keep up the work!

That looks really good. :thumbup:

Great use of the 2x2 and 1x2 Dark Tan Jumpers as detailing.

I had another picture in my head when I saw the title.

I have to watch the movie again, I guess.

Thanks for the appreciation guys.

9 hours ago, sander1992 said:

I had another picture in my head when I saw the title.

You pictured this destroyed and wrecked?? That is likely the end-state of this MOC once I decided to dismantle it.