I recently bought 8 Damped Shock Absorbers to use for suspension, but I was wondering what else they could be used for?

What have you used them for? And what is the most unusual use you can think of?  

32181c02.png

For anyone in Australia, here is where I got them: Lego Technic Lego Pneumatic Shock Absorbers, and the seller has heaps of them!

Edited by mocbuild101

The 8297 set used them to open the gull-wing doors, a function i always liked, since they open slowly because of the dampers.

4 hours ago, Marxpek said:

The 8297 set used them to open the gull-wing doors, a function i always liked, since they open slowly because of the dampers.

That's a good use, I didn't think of looking at the sets that used them!

1 hour ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

They can be used for shock absorbers for heavy, slow vehicles such as trucks.

That is why I got them.

13 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Use them to open doors, hoods. In suspension, they are good as a secondary shock for strength or additional stiffness.

Hoods, that's a good idea!

13 hours ago, LvdH said:

I have 2 NMOCS which use them. Sheepo's Mustang which uses them for the hood, and Stefan's Aventador which uses them for doors. 

Can you provide links to those?

4 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

The Williams F1 uses them to open the motor cover. It fits the model perfectly!

I like that too!

just recalled another set: 8432 used it to choose between 2 ride heights if i recall it right.

1 hour ago, Marxpek said:

just recalled another set: 8432 used it to choose between 2 ride heights if i recall it right.

I just looked it up, but it doesn't have damped shocks in it :sceptic:.

Still a good idea though!

20 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

They can be used for shock absorbers for heavy, slow vehicles such as trucks.

indeed because truck have (mostly kind of air cushion - when drivers turns of the truck it lowers suspension and vice versa) and for models based on Unimog tire they will be well proportioned (they are to big in comparison to 62.4 X 20 tires used on Arocs). 

31 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

when drivers turns of the truck it lowers suspension and vice versa

Explain in more detail please - it sounds interesting!

I use them for spring loaded mechanisms to do a function like: tilting the cab of a truck, moving a function from one state to another - like the foils of an X wing where a two stud lever switches mode in a nice dampened mode, slowing down any motion by removing the spring... The possibility are only limited by your fantasy. 

-ED-

Akiyuki's Pneumatic module uses it:

No doubt those who have worked on it can explain exactly what the function is here...

20 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Explain in more detail please - it sounds interesting!

they have system like this, when driver powers on the truck ignition key starts air compressor that pumps air in "air spring" like this one

air-suspension_points.png

and it is places in suspension like this

New%20Picture16.jpg

...so when air is pumped in it raises suspension and when air is sucked out of "air spring" when truck is turned off and lowers suspension...

Hope i is helpfull 

11 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

I use them for spring loaded mechanisms to do a function like: tilting the cab of a truck, moving a function from one state to another - like the foils of an X wing where a two stud lever switches mode in a nice dampened mode, slowing down any motion by removing the spring... The possibility are only limited by your fantasy. 

-ED-

Interesting... I didn't think of using it like that.

10 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

No doubt those who have worked on it can explain exactly what the function is here...

Very good! I think it is used to slow the pneumatic cylinders at the point of contacting the bins :wink:.

36 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

they have system like this, when driver powers on the truck ignition key starts air compressor that pumps air in "air spring" like this one:

- photo -

and it is places in suspension like this:

- photo -

...so when air is pumped in it raises suspension and when air is sucked out of "air spring" when truck is turned off and lowers suspension...

Hope i is helpfull 

Very interesting, I will have to study this a bit more...

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

Interesting... I didn't think of using it like that.

Very good! I think it is used to slow the pneumatic cylinders at the point of contacting the bins :wink:.

Very interesting, I will have to study this a bit more...

I understand, it is not so easy to implement with LEGO parts...I saw a model with tire turned inside out to act like "air  spring" but could not be used with compressor. If you want to use it with compressor then I suggest use pneumatic cylinders :wink:

2 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I understand, it is not so easy to implement with LEGO parts...I saw a model with tire turned inside out to act like "air  spring" but could not be used with compressor. If you want to use it with compressor then I suggest use pneumatic cylinders :wink:

Yes, pneumatics would be great! And much easier to build.

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

Yes, pneumatics would be great! And much easier to build.

and perhaps you have air tank to help you to "store" air and use it when needed - for example bed tilting, or crane or whatever you want to make to make great LEGO representation of real truck system...hm. only truck uses air for suspension and hydraulic liquid (oil) for other systems...

Two of these damped shock absorbers were used in the Mars Exploration Rover set.

One was used to slowly open up the solar panels.
The other was used to slowly raise up the mast that has the cameras and other sensors.
Here's a short 30 second video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/i9lMB6P-oJw

What I want to know is...
What can the same damper WITHOUT the spring be used for?  Part 32181c03, only used in one set.
I have a few of these, but have never found a use for them!

16 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

No... it's used to ease the pressure on the lifting arm

basically, taking a lot of the load OFF the pneumatic cylinder... the compressor and cylinders don't have to work as hard, and the whole mechanism works smoothly.

It basically wouldn't work without the dampener

8 hours ago, I_Igor said:

and perhaps you have air tank to help you to "store" air and use it when needed - for example bed tilting, or crane or whatever you want to make to make great LEGO representation of real truck system...hm. only truck uses air for suspension and hydraulic liquid (oil) for other systems...

Well that's a good MOC idea for the future for me!

7 hours ago, Splat said:

Two of these damped shock absorbers were used in the Mars Exploration Rover set.

One was used to slowly open up the solar panels.
The other was used to slowly raise up the mast that has the cameras and other sensors.
Here's a short 30 second video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/i9lMB6P-oJw

What I want to know is...
What can the same damper WITHOUT the spring be used for?  Part 32181c03, only used in one set.
I have a few of these, but have never found a use for them!

You could use them to dampen other springs...

2 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

No... it's used to ease the pressure on the lifting arm

basically, taking a lot of the load OFF the pneumatic cylinder... the compressor and cylinders don't have to work as hard, and the whole mechanism works smoothly.

It basically wouldn't work without the dampener

Ah, well I only had a guess :tongue:.

On 2017-5-21 at 8:42 AM, mocbuild101 said:

On 2017-5-21 at 7:17 AM, Marxpek said:

I just looked it up, but it doesn't have damped shocks in it :sceptic:.

Still a good idea though!

Wups! that must have been a (very old) modification of mine then, do not even recall it using normal springs, but obviously it does ;)