kungfulegolover

Predictions for LEGO City 2018 sets

There sure will be train sets because, according to just2good, the train sets release once every four years, so we know that there will be some next year.

According to my calculations of previous sets, here's a list of sets I would expect:

- Tow Truck

- Passenger Train

- Cargo Truck

- Monster Truck

- Camper Van

For the research summer sets, I would expect the places never studied by the LEGO City crew: the desert or the mountains

We are long overdue for a new Hospital theme. I seriously hope we get one.

As for police, it will probably be the next Forest/Swamp subtheme. Maybe Desert?

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

That's an interesting topic, kungfulegolover! :thumbup:

Yes, if TLG follows its four-years-range of trains sets (which is very likely), then we will get a new Trains theme in summer 2018. It's absolutely likely that there'll be a passenger train, a cargo train and a train station. I wouldn't expect more.

And since we already talk about time intervals: Construction site related sets have been released all three years. So I bet that there'll be some next year, too, and do count on some real construction site sets (no mine, demolation, ...) (with hopefully a since long overdue re-design of the tower crane). Plus I wouldn't be surprised if we got a small Police theme, too - some special forces or a water police theme.

I agree with the camper van, too. A cargo truck is unlickely since there's already one in this year's Cargo Terminal set. But a tow truck might indeed be possible. Plus a tank truck hasn't been being released since 2013. For sure there (regrettably) will be some racing based vehicles. I hope for a pisten bully and a TV broadcast van, but civilian vehicles could really be any.

It's absolutely difficult to say which fourth theme there'll be - or if there'll be any at all. It could be nearly anything: Either again something research based, but even a reintroducement of Farm or Harbor. Plus there are plenty of other themes which TLG hasn't been released before, e. g. TV / Studios (in City), Legoland Park, Factory, ...

Since 2017 offers us only one single civilian building - namely the bank - and since next year is the 60th birthday of Town Plan, I bet that there'll be at least one hugle civilian set with some civilian buildings such as a shop, a cafe, a pizzeria, a town hall, an emporium, etc. and some civilian cars.

So to put it in a nutshell, this is what I think we could get in 2018:

- small police theme (water police / special forces)

- construstion site (classical)

- 5-9 Great Vehicles

- another theme (farm or harbor or some kind of research or ...?)

- train theme

- huge civilian downtown set

1 hour ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Since 2017 offers us only one single civilian building - namely the bank - and since next year is the 60th birthday of Town Plan, I bet that there'll be at least one hugle civilian set with some civilian buildings such as a shop, a cafe, a pizzeria, a town hall, an emporium, etc. and some civilian cars.

So to put it in a nutshell, this is what I think we could get in 2018:

- small police theme (water police / special forces)

- construstion site (classical)

- 5-9 Great Vehicles

- another theme (farm or harbor or some kind of research or ...?)

- train theme

- huge civilian downtown set

Think you could be onto something with a 60th Birthday Town Plan version. It may be a Creator release or like you guess in the City line. If it is the later, could it be called Brick Square or City Center seeing as bus 242 from set 60154 is going that way?:wink:  And seeing as the 50th Anniversary version had gold bricks to mark the golden anniversary, could this one have a jewellers shop or something with diamonds to mark the 60th Birthday.

22 minutes ago, scottwb2010 said:

Think you could be onto something with a 60th Birthday Town Plan version. It may be a Creator release or like you guess in the City line. If it is the later, could it be called Brick Square or City Center seeing as bus 242 from set 60154 is going that way?:wink:  And seeing as the 50th Anniversary version had gold bricks to mark the golden anniversary, could this one have a jewellers shop or something with diamonds to mark the 60th Birthday.

That may well be, scottwb2010. As addition I could even imagine some sort of food stall or even a whole snackbar or pizzeria being included since the last food stall was released back in 2013 with the City Square there (the City Pizza shop).

Something like the 60150 - Pizza Van. It could be a Hot Dog Truck (Like the one in the Friends line) or even an Ice Cream Truck (it's been a while since the last one in The LEGO Movie line)

On 18.05.2017 at 4:36 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

Probably some police and fire sets.........

Totally, there will be police stuff, but the next fire sets will actually come out in 2019. Bummer.

On 18.05.2017 at 4:42 PM, Robert8 said:

Something like the 60150 - Pizza Van. It could be a Hot Dog Truck (Like the one in the Friends line) or even an Ice Cream Truck (it's been a while since the last one in The LEGO Movie line)

There needs to be a food truck besides a pizza one for LEGO City. I agree with the ice cream and hot dog truck ideas, but I would also add in a taco truck (with some inspiration from Turbo) or a liquor truck.

I would like some luxury sedans for City. 

I would also love to see a townhouse or something similar specifically for City not Creator. 

A hospital too would be most welcome as people have said and at least an ambulance >.> 

Personally, I would love a military subtheme, or a theme dedicated to military altogether. Shame LEGO has a strong anti-war moral (even though half of their themes center around fighting, which makes no sense at all!), so this won't happen anyways. Would love me some M1 Abrams, A10 Warthogs/F22 Raptors, UH60 Blackhawks, maybe even a destroyer or aircraft carrier and figures for each respective branch. That's just me though.

As for returning subthemes, construction would be great! I don't think trains will return just because they've been releasing unannounced sets as of late (red cargo train, etc.), and to be honest, their train sets have been going a bit downhill lately in terms of originality and I'm hoping they don't return with trains just yet. Same with the airport, because I'm not a fan of the new big airport set...
I'd love if we got some office buildings (maybe a corporate office for OCTAN that isn't President Business'?) or other shops in the CITY style, take some ideas from the Friends line (I love that theme only for the buildings they put out lol). Restaurants, maybe like a seafood place, a fancy suit-and-tie restaurant, or a rooftop place?
And for a special city set, returning to seafood, a fisherman's wharf would be lovely. That, or a tourist pier with arcade/festival-like games on it, like Santa Monica Pier?

I doubt they would do any of this though. Forgive my negativity towards LEGO but they don't seem to enjoy set suggestions if it's not through the "Ideas" line, and I imagine we'll get more useless waves of police and fire above all else.

Edited by starshooter1407

Keep in mind that Lego City also releases sets based on adventure and exploring, like jungle, artic etc... Which to me doesn't make sense. So my bet is that we will see some outside Lego City stuff... Again

9 hours ago, larsy said:

Keep in mind that Lego City also releases sets based on adventure and exploring, like jungle, artic etc... Which to me doesn't make sense. So my bet is that we will see some outside Lego City stuff... Again

I already mentioned desert or mountain stuff as possible choice for research and exploration next summer.

1 hour ago, ProvenceTristram said:

A cargo ship of some kind. It's been a long, long time since Lego released one of these staples.

Or a new harbor line. I'd love a ship as big as 7994 since I missed out on that set, not some crummy farm ship. Or, or! Oil drilling maybe, like an offshore rig? Europe seems to have a lot of those, and offshore wind farms. They did it in the Cars theme, so I don't see why not. Even if it's not a standalone set, they could probably do it with the fire or coast guard sets as a rescue. Though it might set people off who'll boycott LEGO over it (anybody remember when Greenpeace made that LEGO video?)

Edited by starshooter1407

4 hours ago, starshooter1407 said:

Or a new harbor line. I'd love a ship as big as 7994 since I missed out on that set, not some crummy farm ship. Or, or! Oil drilling maybe, like an offshore rig? Europe seems to have a lot of those, and offshore wind farms. They did it in the Cars theme, so I don't see why not. Even if it's not a standalone set, they could probably do it with the fire or coast guard sets as a rescue. Though it might set people off who'll boycott LEGO over it (anybody remember when Greenpeace made that LEGO video?)

I would like a Passenger Ferry in the same size, maybe with a car deck onboard. 

I made a post about seasonal sets I would like to see a few days ago and here are the sets I would like to see in City 2018

Steam Cargo Train

Monorail

Bridge

Train bridge

Train Tunnel

Coast Guard figure pack

Steam passenger train

Passenger Cars

Cargo Cars

Limo Chase

Well in the last few years we have had Swamp, forest, arctic and now jungle themes.  I think next year the city sets will go on Safari so we will get more animals like the Ostriches, camels, lions, parrots, monkeys and maybe a gorilla.

I'm going to stick with predictions rather than what I would like to see.

1. Police - I expect this will be out-of-town police along the lines of forest/swamp as this seems to be following a 3 year cycle and avoids concurrently available sets looking too similar. Perhaps mounted police on horseback, crooks mountain hideout, mountain station, and some staples that we haven't had in a couple of years such as a police dog van and a large police helicopter

2. Construction - I predict road building, e.g. Starter set, cement mixer, steam-roller, dump truck and tracked cold milling machine. large set could be highway bridge construction like 6600 from 2000. 

3 Great Vehicles-

smaller sets likely to include at least 1 racing vehicle, probably rally car, or hovercraft. Some sort of garbage truck perhaps on the line of city sweeper from 8404 or maybe a container (skip) truck like a city version of 42024 technic set. Given the popularity of the Pizza van I think an Ice cream truck will be coming. Other vehicles - Articulated Tanker truck, Large tow truck, mobile crane (although may be part of construction), Tractor with trailer ( I don't see an entire farm sub-theme, more likely to turn up in Friends I think) and finally a long-awaited ambulance hopefully a large one.

4. Trains - summer likely to see a new wave of trains (2) and a station

5. Exploration sub-theme- This has become very popular but I am struggling to figure what next year's version will be. Needs to be exciting, sufficiently different from preceding year and have a good selection of vehicles and play features for children. I am not sure safari can offer that (maybe global animal rescue) and it could be too similar to Jungle. Desert? How many different vehicles can you really put in the desert? Ancient ruins are done in Jungle too. I thought we could see a type of mining but would overlap with construction. Perhaps we may see something along the lines of geoscience or seismology surveying. However, as I don't see a Zoo being released anytime soon but TLG are certainly making more and more animals available in city sets so I think a wild animal rescue (elephants, rhinos, giraffes?) would be very appealing.

6.Specials- Fun at the ...Zoo ( for larger animals you would need to buy the animal rescue/jungle sets but a few smaller animals (penguins, monkeys, reptiles) could be included. Replacement for City Centre from 2015 - I agree we could see an updated Town Plan. Again a Town Hall with bride and groom, vintage wedding car, small food kiosk, taxi or rickshaw, new cinema (Palace cinema will likely be retiring) and perhaps instead of a service station.. a medical centre/hospital (ambulance could appear in this set). Alternatively, a convenience store/cafe/bookshop and we get a stand-alone Hospital set. 

Hi! I think we will get:

- a new city people pack "Fun at anything-you-want"

- a new food-truck in the great vehicles sub-theme. I like the idea of the ice-cream truck. 

- new 6 wide cars and civilian trucks, like a TV truck, an ambulance...

- after the fishing boat, the 4x4 with catamaran and the Coast Guard sub-theme, i think harbour sets would fit perfectly : marina, cargo ship...

- the city centre set should be retired and replace by a new big set. But we got a tram in the city centre in 2015 and a bus this year, so maybe the tank truck will be part of it.

- for the summer wave, we will get a new action / wildlife theme. Mountain would be great !