Sign in to follow this  
Carefree_Dude

Is there a good way to "reverse" PF Train motors?

I know you can use the Polarity switch in order to do it, but is there an easy way to simply take the motor apart and swap it? My train MOCs already are lacking in room for all the PF cables. I'd like to use two motors on a single train. 

The search facility can be a bit of a blunt tool if you don't use precisely the right search term. But thanks for reposting this thread. Maybe this is one (of many) that needs to be pinned for reference purposes.

But to answer to OP's question, surely the easiest way to use a second motor without the expense of a polarity switch or modifying the motor itself would be to mount both motors facing the same way around so that they both run in the same direction. Admittedly it may mean you'll need an extension lead to make sure they both connect to the IR receiver, but that's cheaper and less bulky than the polarity switch. Also it may not be suitable if you're using one-piece train bases because of where the holes are for the cable runs, but if you're building your own base you can put the holes where you want them.

I take the wire going to the motor and simply cut it and strip the wires and reverse the two inner wires and use heat shrink tubing to ensure its a good insulated connection.  It frees up room in the trains since i dont need a polarity switch.