Time for everyone's favorite childhood vehicle, a Fire Truck! This one is modeled off of @HorcikDesigns fabulous Truck.

This one takes his design, adds a little Renault, and some special features, and it's done. The manual truck has four wheel drive, with suspension based off my 8081 4x4, a I-4 engine, a link based steering system controlled by both roof lights, and a tilting cab with seating for four.

Much more at thirdwigg,com, with a full gallery at flickr.com.

34316383350_7ee441a666_c.jpg

34316382070_7a83b43579_c.jpg

33891067483_a848e82138_c.jpg

Video is here.

Edited by Thirdwigg

Thirdwigg, I should say every time you post something, it makes my day. I really appreciate your design philosophy to keep things simple and clean. At least they seem simple. That picture on your website with the axles dismounted from chassis - everything is so logical an elegant. I wonder how many design iteration the axles and chassis took? I always considered the rack and pinion steering on live axles as something not too realistic. Your solution with the steering link being longitudinal instead of transverse is really interesting, since, as I see it, it should help with reducing the sideways play, when steering. I am building the live axle with transverse steering link right now, and it appears you have to make the setup really strong in transverse direction to get the steering work. Was it part of the motivation behind you solution?

@proran thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your compliments. Hopefully future MOCs will continue to impress.

Regarding the axles, the rear was a straight copy of my 8081 axle. The front took about 4 tries. It arose out of the desire to find a steering solution, that in a Mid-scale, does not run into the engine, or force it higher in the MOC. This was the motivation for the design. The longitudinal link solved many problems: it allows the drive axles to be uninterrupted, the engine lower, and a simple steering assembly.

The front axle strength transversely was only required for the drive component of the axle. The steering is much more simple than a rack and pinion, and requires much less reinforcement. There is no need for cross bracing the steering parts. 

I have just seen this on brickshelf and I have to say the chassis is a very good peice of work. The overall model is great.

H

A couple of specific questions, if you don't mind. Is there any particular reason not to use the hub pieces on the rear axle? And how that 6L Panhard rod works on the front? In my experience sometimes it is too short causing the sideways movements and imposing the stress on the suspension components. Thanks.

1 hour ago, proran said:

A couple of specific questions, if you don't mind. Is there any particular reason not to use the hub pieces on the rear axle? And how that 6L Panhard rod works on the front? In my experience sometimes it is too short causing the sideways movements and imposing the stress on the suspension components. Thanks.

I like to take of the the wheels while building. Adding the hub parts to the rear only drives me nuts after a while. Hub parts are an easy modification.

A 9L Panhard would work better for sideways movement, but in this MOC, it gets in the way of the steering. The 6L works well enough.

I just love this suspension and steering design. Live axle + simplicity - it's not what achieved easy with LEGO. Great chassis covered with detailed bodywork. Outstanding model)

Nice, simple looking car.

I'm planning to build 7213 as Technic, as this was my first Lego set at all (family gave as a present on mu 33rd birthday).

On 5/17/2017 at 10:45 AM, proran said:

Thirdwigg, I should say every time you post something, it makes my day. I really appreciate your design philosophy to keep things simple and clean. At least they seem simple. That picture on your website with the axles dismounted from chassis - everything is so logical an elegant.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Very clean, well done!