Hi everyone.

As soon as I got the Buwizz I wanted to build a very powerfull, yet model powered by RC motors. At first i wanted to build a trophy truck which uses Claas's wheels, but I decided to put that project on halt, because I got a better inspiration.

As everyone knows Tesla makes fully electric cars packed with all kinds of features and gadgets.

I want to do the same, integrating the following features:

All wheel drive with 6 RC motors (2 front and 4 in the rear) - I learned from my previous record breaking Buwizz powered RWD driven model that when it comes to braking you need front wheel drive too for motors to act as brakes.

Spring supported pneumatic suspension - A combination of pneumatic and normal spring suspension which allows the ride height to be set at an optimum level to keep the drive axles as straight as possible, therebye removing any vibrations or losses

Remoe controlled compressor - Using Sbrick order to adjust the suspension system of the model

Detailed compact double wishbone suspension - Using the 5L suspension arms, new hubs and wheels I was able to make driven, steered suspesnion with brake calipers

Working lights and blinkers - Using Sbrick I plan to make all the lights including blinkers work

Motorized doors and trunk - This way I can remotely open the doors and trunk

Central entertainment system - In my case I want to stick the speed computer in the center console to measure the speed of the model

*Crash avodiance system - if I will be able to get an Sbrick plus and a couple of WeDo proximity sensors I can come up with an automatic steering and braking system for the model

Detailed exterior and interrior - As name suggest the model is planned to be made in 1:8 scale with as much deatil as possible.

And lastly performance - Since I plan to use a total of 6RC motors driving the Porshe wheels with 1:1 ratio from the outermost motor output, i expect the model even though it will be probably around 3kg heavy to perform very good. Special attention was given to the steering system in order to keep it as stiff as possible. I hope to see a top speed of 15 km/h

I already started working on the front axle, I will post the picture tomorrow. Meanwhile here is the prototype made in LDD

As you can see on one side of the suspension wishbones I am using a normal spring, while the other side uses a small pneumatic cylinder.

800x446.jpg

Suspension geometry is set in such way the springs and cylinders end up as far away from the hub as possbile, since Porsche's wheels are just so deep. Also notice the 1x4 half width liftarms used to support the springs.

800x459.jpg

I will post photographs of the WIP as I go along. Wish me luck :classic:

Very interesting! I'm a big fan of all cars manufactured by Tesla and I'm looking forward to see how your model turns out. I might be working on a Tesla myself as well ;-)

That front axle looks very promising , can't wait for more :moar:

Is that the effect of the developer mode on the hubs?

4 minutes ago, LXF said:

That front axle looks very promising , can't wait for more :moar:

Is that the effect of the developer mode on the hubs?

Yeah, I can pretty much place any brick anywhere in developer mode. Thanks.

I very much look forward to your progress!

How many battery packs will you be using?  I know the buwizz can handle two RC motors.  Will you be using regular lipo for use with the sbricks?

Very interesting project! I will be following this closely too.

Doesn't the steering tie rod collide with the black vertical arm connecting the suspension arms in turns?

Thats a super original suspension! Just question, will that suspension hold up with the weight of all those motors?

Wow, this seems very ambitious, but I know you can do it. Can't wait to see this finished!

6 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

All wheel drive with 6 RC motors (2 front and 4 in the rear) - I learned from my previous record breaking Buwizz powered RWD driven model that when it comes to braking you need front wheel drive too for motors to act as brakes.

Spring supported pneumatic suspension - A combination of pneumatic and normal spring suspension which allows the ride height to be set at an optimum level to keep the drive axles as straight as possible, therebye removing any vibrations or losses

Remoe controlled compressor - Using Sbrick order to adjust the suspension system of the model

Detailed compact double wishbone suspension - Using the 5L suspension arms, new hubs and wheels I was able to make driven, steered suspesnion with brake calipers

Working lights and blinkers - Using Sbrick I plan to make all the lights including blinkers work

Motorized doors and trunk - This way I can remotely open the doors and trunk

Central entertainment system - In my case I want to stick the speed computer in the center console to measure the speed of the model

*Crash avodiance system - if I will be able to get an Sbrick plus and a couple of WeDo proximity sensors I can come up with an automatic steering and braking system for the model

Detailed exterior and interrior - As name suggest the model is planned to be made in 1:8 scale with as much deatil as possible.

And lastly performance - Since I plan to use a total of 6RC motors driving the Porshe wheels with 1:1 ratio from the outermost motor output, i expect the model even though it will be probably around 3kg heavy to perform very good. Special attention was given to the steering system in order to keep it as stiff as possible. I hope to see a top speed of 15 km/h

This seems like it is going to be one very awesome model. Especially with an auto braking system.:thumbup: That suspension is already off to a great start.

Also, this Developer Mode seems pretty cool:

800x481.jpg

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Please, can you tell us how to put LDD into developer mode?

Also, I look forward to seeing this. I just hope you are going for the somewhat older Model S grille rather than the new one, which looks kind of derpy.

Sadly, I can't add images due to being on a phone, but I think the pre-2016 models look best.

Edited by Saberwing40k

8 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Very interesting project! I will be following this closely too.

Doesn't the steering tie rod collide with the black vertical arm connecting the suspension arms in turns?

I agree that there might be a collision. Vertical beams with definitely reduce the steering radius.

2 minutes ago, tomek9210 said:

Vertical beams with definitely reduce the steering radius.

Yea, but in this case the radius is already somewhat limited because of the limited angle of the CV-joints connected to the wheel hubs.

Challenging project.

What about some horizontal movement in this point?

640x356.jpg

Maybe it will work, but it won't be correct.

Good luck and patience!

1 hour ago, tomek9210 said:

Vertical beams with definitely reduce the steering radius.

In fact, I'm pretty shure, that at this design, steering is impossible at all.

Cool WIP, can't wait to see how progresses. 

For all of those who want to get developer mode on a PC then here is how:

1. Download Notepad++
  2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer
  3. Open preferences.ini with Notepad++
  4. Press enter to create a new line, then paste in: DeveloperMode=1
  5. Press save
  6. Allow Notepad++ to be launched in administrator mode
  7. Press save again
  8. Launch LDD!
Edited by Epic Technic

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

In fact, I'm pretty shure, that at this design, steering is impossible at all.

19 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Also notice the 1x4 half width liftarms used to support the springs.

I did something similar for my rugged supercar. Why not tilt the spring and small cylinder more inwards? That would give more space for the steering tie rods and the spring and cylinder wouldn't stick out as much. Just a thought.

800x225.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

So many questions, I really like that.

First why there is something in the way of steering?

Answer is not that simple. Instead of one springs I used a pneumatic piston. That piston has a square edge in which the steering arm kept getting stuck. That is why I used a parallel thin arm in order to keep it away from the cylinder:

800x645.jpg

Second I am using an 8 tooth gear for steering instead of the usual 12 one for next reasons:

- CV joints would not support such high steering angle

- From what I learned in the past anything over 20 degrees in steering will be useless at high speeds and leads to massive oversteer or in worst case spinouts

- Porshe's rim is so deep it doesnt even support any higher angles:

P1230452.JPG

As you can see here I have some 20 degrees of steering at 90 degrees turned axle lock even with the beams in the way:

800x554.jpg

And without wheels:

800x565.jpg

I could try use 6L steering links, but:

- that would ruin my steering geometry

- steering angle itself would not be any much higher

- 6L links have much more play than 5L suspension arms which are attached with pins. I need suspension and steering as stiff as possible.

@Didumos69 Your suspesnion does look good, but you are forgetting several things:

- Motors on my model take A LOT of room, so I cant afford suspension that is so wide

- I want to keep suspension as close to original setup with almost straight springs as possible

- Front and rear suspension will be more or less identical. And if you thought front was crammed, look at the rear:

800x533.jpg

There is only half a stud between motor outputs and joints powering the rear wheels thanks to all the motors.

@Epic Technic I plan to do a detailed video about enabling LDD dev. mode in a few days, so everyone can not only know how to unlock it, but also know how to use all the hidden features.

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

1 hour ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

How the heck are you going to power 6 rc's?!?

Exactly what I was thinking! How are you ging to accomplish that? People have difficulty powering two, let alone THREE TIMES that number!

This model is just to ambicious , i say put only 4 RCs :laugh:. And with all the things you want to add the weight of it will be to big [so no hight speed :(  ] 

3 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

I think these 3 will do :thumbup:

Very nice choice.  Do you have any data from your ripsaw on how long the charge lasts when using 2 buggy motors with a BuWizz? 

Edited by BusterHaus