Sign in to follow this  
Kolonialbeamter

[OL - CH5E] The Conquest of Paradise

Hi there, fellow fortune seekers and adventurers,

this is my entry for Challenge V - Category E.

The Conquest of Paradise

The Marquis de la Roya is an able man. Considered reckless by his foes and peers alike, he sees himself as a loyal servant to the new Marderian King Alphonse XIII. And as a loyal servant, he knew it was up to all Marderians to support the empire's war efforts against the invading Eslandian forces as best they could. But the Marquis is not only skilled in the arts of battlefield warfare - his true qualities lie in gathering and evaluating information. Cause that's what wars are won with primarily. And recently, he came across a very interesting bit of information. What only very few people in the Brick Seas know is that the mysterious voyages of the Oleander priest Father Tholeau lasted much longer than official records claim. And during these voyages to the far end of the world, Tholeau didn't only find the Fountain of Youth. In fact, he had also found something else in the vast jungles of the New Terra - something so important and potentially dangerous that it could shake the political status quo of all the known world like a furious earthquake. He had found the legendary city of Legorado - a city constructed of pure gold, constituting such astonishing wealth that whatever power managed to claim it would be considered rich beyond the wildest dream ever dreamed up by anybody. Terrorized by the implications of this very thought, Tholeau tried to kept his findings a secret. But the map he drew to find his way back home somehow winded up in an Oleander monastery where they were almost forgotten. And it was this bit of information that reached the Marquis de la Roya's ear...

Part I - Atrocities 

The Marquis and his henchman - who only went by the name of el Zamuro - didn't loose any time. In total secrecy and given order by King Alphonse XIII himself to 'do whatever is necessary', they took command of a company of the King's Palace Guard, and boarded a ship - direction East. Their first destination was the Oleander monastery rumored to hold the secret map. When they arrived, the head priest requested to know what this unexpected visit was all about. This was his last request on this earth - 'whatever is necessary' in Marderian is best translated with 'shot first - don't even bother asking questions later!'

33882221633_d8e858e416_c.jpg

The map was found shortly after in the catacombs underneath the chapel.

34530283802_ced84cc084_c.jpg

The path was set.

Spoiler

Overview:

33849558174_6552d21b5a_o.png

Part II - Pathfinding

After an uneventful journey to the far side of New Terra, the Marquis and his company set up camp at the beaches of this yet unsettled island which revealed itself in front of their eyes. After a night's rest and some planning and scouting, the expedition party moved out and made their way through the jungle. The green hell was merciless - humidity and heat took their toll, as well as all sorts of venomous crawling things - man after man collapsed in these harsh conditions under the weight of their heavy equipment. After marching for several days without finding anything, concerns were spreading - some in the King's Guard whispered the Marquis would be their downfall. But luckily enough for de la Roya, soon after the expedition came across a promising beacon - an altar in the middle of the jungle. And the best thing was that gold seemed to be abundant!

33849601224_b5fa6b9414_c.jpg

34307227910_49a56ae425_c.jpg

Spoiler

Overview:

34530279672_7088db7616_c.jpg

34561528541_630ffdd306_o.png

Part III - The Great Golden Pyramid of Legorado

Incited by their discovery of the gold filled altar, de la Roya and his men picked up the pace and marched on. Driven by an insatiable thirst for the shiny metal they hasted through the jungle - nothing could stand in their way. All the long journey's destitution was forgotten, suffering became meaningless, and especially de la Roya's eyes were filled with an almost inhuman desire. And then they saw it. A bright reflection of pure golden sunlight in the middle of a vast clearing. Like bugs they were drawn towards it, still incapable of believing their eyes in the face of such radiating beauty.

34561566571_bd75d646f6_c.jpg

As the expedition closed in on the bright light, a priest flanked by two warriors approached them, seemingly friendly and curious as to the origin of the strange looking men. But instead of trying to enter into a conversation and trying to explore an obviously fascinating culture, de la Roya and his company only had eyes for the gold...

34691957325_c3a7656b2f_c.jpg

33882242303_bfaf408a1b_c.jpg

'Whatever is necessary' - the Marderian way...

33849565914_3bbca4e647_c.jpg

After the heinous murder of the sun priest and his warriors, de la Roya and his men climbed the pyramid. When they reached the top they first were shocked that the temple didn't contain any treasure. But when el Zamuro smashed his sword into the walls of the temple out of pure frustration, he realized... the entire temple structure was constructed of massive gold!

34691942005_4c4bfec189_c.jpg

What happened next is better not described - it sure was a great day for de la Roya and Mardier, but a horrible day for mankind as a whole.

'Whatever is necessary'

About:

Well, where to start... the jungle build was pretty straight forward, nothing really special about it. The chapel was a bit more tricky, the rug took some time to get right, but the hardest thing here was to stack the two coins on the small altar - something that 'in the brick' would take no time at all :grin:

Now, the pyramid, yes in theory it could be built, but I sure don't know if the required bricks exist in such numbers - on Bricklink certainly not.

Among other parts the pyramid consists of:

• 9792 chrome gold 1x2 tiles,
  • 8675 pearl gold 1x1 plates,
  • 718 pearl gold 1x2 jumper plates,
  • 557 pearl gold 1x2 tiles,
  • 658 pearl gold 2x2 tiles,
  • 955 pearl gold 2x2 jumper plates,
  • 5495 pearl gold 1x4 tiles,
  • 2125 pearl gold 2x2x2 slopes

What about suggesting this as a Lego Ideas set? :laugh:

Thanks for watching,

C&C welcome!

:classic:

Vive le Roi!

Oh my eyes! I can't see anything! So much gold!

Impressive built, most impressive is you did all these awesome works youself, you are like a one-man army.

Congratz on such an impressive build!

I am sure you can build it in RL as well, but I fear one will have to spend a lot of money to build this IRL :p

Anyway, you never disappoint with your LDD MOC's, so keep on KBB! :)

Wow.  That pyramid... fantastic, just fantastic.  I'd so love to actually see that in real bricks (I mean, like actually see it, not just pictures, though that would be pretty epic too) - is it actually buildable with existing pieces?  Of course I'm sure it would cost a small fortune, but just out of curiosity...

The symbol of the rising (or setting?) sun on top looks great too, works very well!

And how like those grubby Marderian pirates to go chopping pieces off what's got to be one of the greatest wonders of the BoBS world!  Vandals!  Not to mention shooting the natives... I'll bet those guys wish Eslandola got there first! :pir-grin:

The scene above that is great too, with the slab of rock for the offerings and a few really nice palm trees.  And I'm taking notes on that rug, looks great!

Wow! 

The catacombs are great, lovely wall texture, the rug looks great. It really ties the room together!

That pyramid is epic alright! You mentioned the gold bricks, but just putting the little green flowers pieces must have been a chore as well

Some impressive builds here! I really like the verticality of the first MOC, and the natural rock base/frame of the second. And of course the pyramid is stunning in all its gold glory. Great story too, even if it is a bit depressing with the murder of the natives and presumed dismantling of the temple. Well done! :thumbup:

Your builds and stories that go hand to hand, never ceases to amaze me! And that brick statistics are always interesting :laugh:

Wow that pyramid! :wub:  Truly impressive, that!  As the others have said, very nice design with that rug on the first build too... but - that pyramid is definitely the stand-out piece here! :grin:

A very, erhm, Mardierian story as well - way too believable! :pir-grin:

As others have said, that pyramid is truly amazing, the sheer size of it... and it's gold! As much as it pains me to say it however, I think the best way for it to be build with real bricks would be to use any colours and spray gold when finished! Surely that many real gold bricks don't exist, and if they did would anyone be able to afford them!

Seriously though, I like the way you used a SNOT technique for sloping the sides of the pyramid up, I like it looks much better than simple stepping them up like I did and probably allows for a much bigger structure (if building in real bricks).

Overall great entry KB!