Sign in to follow this  
Morangxs

Tiling an oval-shaped building

Hi everyone!

I am facing quite a difficulty: I want to build an oval-shaped building (here is the base piece), but the problem is that I don't know which tiling method I should use in order to create the floor. Should I use round 1 x1 quarter ones or other round tiles ? The U-shape bugs me. Please give me your impressions. If needed, some photographs (taken from an iPhone, sorry if the quality is not perfect) in order to catch the angles of the piece.

mini_694151IMG1147.jpg

mini_521552IMG1148.jpg

Edited by Morangxs

Does the floor have to be at floor level? One thing you can do is place some spacers at the base and lift the floor up slightly to help when it comes to tiling. Although as with all curved interiors, square edged tiles will not tile perfectly to the edges.

9 hours ago, MAB said:

Does the floor have to be at floor level? One thing you can do is place some spacers at the base and lift the floor up slightly to help when it comes to tiling. Although as with all curved interiors, square edged tiles will not tile perfectly to the edges.

I haven't really thought about it, but I guess it's not mandatory. Anyway, I'll try to find the perfect match!

4 hours ago, Nantucketdink said:

you could make a nice flat floor by making a semi circle with bricks and curved slopes, studs not on top. 

This would be the nicest looking solution if you are able to have the floor a brick thick.

There is a new 2x2 macaroni tile piece.  You could use 2 of those in conjunction with straight tiles and see how it looks flush mounted.  You might be able to raise the tiles up so they overlap that roof(floor) piece for a nice finished look too.

You would have to use a couple of the pie slice tiles inside of the macaroni tiles of course

i just discovered there is a 4x4 macaroni tile.  Didn't realize that even existed.  That won't work for you, but good info to know.  Thanks for making me look at bl.