legoman19892

Where should the next People at the ____ take place?

Where should the next people pack be located?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Fun at the ____.

9 minutes ago, williejm said:

I mean, surely it’s time that the City police had a ‘safari police’ or ‘zoo police’ theme ... 

they did have a mountain police theme about the same time as people pack outdoor adventure. If you put those together there are a few new parts like the bmx bike, mountain lion, eagle, ...

Still, i think farm themed sets are more likely to pop up next year then zoo or safari sets.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, lifeinplastic said:

I think that's the reason I do want one, or at least people packs in locations where a new animal mould would be appropriate (like the eagle in the 2018 one). I don't need all the bricks and pieces needed to make the zoo, other than the animals so having a theme of its own wouldn't be particularly useful, especially as it would be released one year and we wouldn't see it for the next 20! However, the lack of animals in minifigure system scale is extremely poor and something that needs to be addressed by TLG. Making new moulds of animals wouldn't be underwhelming at all and would make these sets more worthwhile, like the original wheelchair and baby made Fun at the Park unique. There isn't anything to prevent larger animals from appearing in these sets as there would be enough room in the box for bigger animals (e.g. a giraffe or kangaroo), unlike in the collectible minifigure packets where you wouldn't fit one.

Well, there's still the cost factor with bigger animals. Most of them require multiple new molds, whether packed separately (e.g. crocodile, velociraptor, etc) or pre-assembled (e.g. horse, bear, leopard, etc), which drives up the cost considerably compared to most standard bricks, smaller animal pieces, or even minifig pieces. And while these sets have introduced some great new molds, no People Pack set has introduced more than two or three new molds at a time.

By comparison: the LEGO horses, bears, and leopards each required six new molds, since the legs, torso, and head all have separate elements for the right and left sides that are then assembled in the factory. This is part of why the LEGO camel from the Prince of Persia sets and the Thestral from the Fantastic Beasts sets have no neck articulation like the classic LEGO horses — this made it possible to design them using only two new molds each (three if you count the Thestral's wings, but their more generic design and standard LEGO connection points make them a much easier mold to reuse in other sets and themes that wouldn't require the complete animal).

But even with that sort of simplification, introducing new molds for MULTIPLE new animals this size in a single $40 set, without plans to use them in other sets that year, really wouldn't be practical any way you slice it. There'd have to be some plan to spread them out across more sets so that you don't need to depend on the revenue for a single set covering the cost of all those new molds.

i agree that there will be limitation on how many animals can be added in the pack but that can be easily remedied by reducing the count of the minifigures in exchange of more animals. More then cost factors, the designers should look at the desirability of these people pack - otherwise, they won't be as successful as the first one.

Also, so far.... the poll says there's no fun in the banks.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, tafkatb said:
On 5/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Say, should this discussion topic be broadened to include speculation/wishlisting of other People Packs beyond the annual "Fun at the (insert here)" City sets, such as the Mars Mission subtheme's People Pack - Space Research and Development introduced this year? :shrug_confused:

I agree! I like that it opens up the possibility of other people packs based more on professions than locations. In that vein, a People Pack focusing on the arts could be awesome! Musicians, painters, sculptors, actors - a lot of possibilities there.

I'd hope to see a Movie/Film Studio themed People Pack someday as a homage to Lego's Studios theme from the early 2000's! :classic:

On 5/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, TheL390Man said:

How about People at the LEGO convention? With special AFOL minifigs :excited:

This has been suggested by others here in the past, but a Comic/Pop-Culture Convention themed People Pack seems to be a more likely possibility. :shrug_oh_well:

13 hours ago, makoy said:

i agree that there will be limitation on how many animals can be added in the pack but that can be easily remedied by reducing the count of the minifigures in exchange of more animals. More then cost factors, the designers should look at the desirability of these people pack - otherwise, they won't be as successful as the first one.

Exactly!

I wouldn't mind a people pack for Farm people + small animals, or Construction workers (road/railroad/buildings), or just mixed City people (Some construction, fire, police etc with a bit different torso/head/hair/hats).

But it all depends if the Space People pack is going to be a 1-time thing or not to see more job-related packs alongside regular people, as well as the new 4-packs.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I wouldn't mind a people pack for Farm people + small animals, or Construction workers (road/railroad/buildings), or just mixed City people (Some construction, fire, police etc with a bit different torso/head/hair/hats).

But it all depends if the Space People pack is going to be a 1-time thing or not to see more job-related packs alongside regular people, as well as the new 4-packs.

This sparked an idea in my head that TLG should survey the forums (or the internet) and look at the "state of MOCs" where these people pack can fill the gap so that they can populate a farm, space colony, pirate bay and even castle courtyards. I think that will makes sense instead of forcing the people pack to be part of the current running theme. 

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

1 minute ago, makoy said:

This sparked an idea in my head that TLG should survey the forums (or the internet) and look at the "state of MOCs" where these people pack can fill the gap so that they can populate a farm, space colony, pirate bay and even castle courtyards. I think that will makes sense instead of forcing the people pack to be part of the current running theme. 

I know this is a bit wistful, but I'd LOVE if the City theme started giving us "People Packs" made-up of various urban citizens from decades past that would otherwise not fit into City's modern context. Ya know, a 1930's-set People Pack, a 1950's-themed People Pack, a 1970's/1980's inspired People Pack... :purrr:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I know this is a bit wistful, but I'd LOVE if the City theme started giving us "People Packs" made-up of various urban citizens from decades past that would otherwise not fit into City's modern context. Ya know, a 1930's-set People Pack, a 1950's-themed People Pack, a 1970's/1980's inspired People Pack... :purrr:

Man that would be incredible if they did that!  A 1920's version would be very interesting. The only thing is it may not be exactly what kids want. I know I would support sets like that if they were released though. 

On 5/21/2019 at 1:51 AM, makoy said:

Also, so far.... the poll says there's no fun in the banks.

What a surprise! :sarcasm:

Are banks ever fun? (Except Brick Bank) :wink:

They could make ‘No Fun at the Bank’ :grin: :thumbup:

Edited by TheL390Man

Fun at the slaughterhouse. We'd get animals and some interesting minifigure parts, as well as nice bits for butchers' shops.

Edited by MAB

7 hours ago, Khscarymovie4 said:
10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Man that would be incredible if they did that!  A 1920's version would be very interesting. The only thing is it may not be exactly what kids want. I know I would support sets like that if they were released though. 

I do wish we'd see more period-based everyday citizens from the Collectable Minifigure line, as most non-licensed CMS can be typically fixated on rather specific archetypes, somewhat limiting them from giving less-particular inhabitants of various eras that the City theme could potentially never cover. :sceptic:

So, it seems there was not a "Fun at the __________" set this year. 

Very fitting for 2020, IMO. A year with no fun at all

But does that mean Fun at the Fairground was the last one? :cry_sad:

Beside those 3 Elite Police sets + Air Race set coming to Europe in August, there are still 2 City sets remaining from lists : 

60269 - Town 

60271 - Town D2C 

But at this point, it wouldn't surprised me if sets were moved, since the summer City sets don't even have a release date in the US (Coming Soon), and multiple other City sets are on backorder/out of stock.

As for people pack theme, a Winter variant would be nice, and even make some sense, as the Advent Calendar doesn't have any normal town people, just LEGO City Adventures characters (that are visible on the box, not a spoiler)

The Ski Resort set for 2019 came out in September, so if we'd see a winter people pack, it'd probably be October/November with taking account delays.

Edited by TeriXeri

I think a winter "Fun in the Snow" people pack would conflict with the City Advent Calendar and the Winter Village set. (mostly the Advent Calendar)

I still think that something like "Fun on Halloween" or something like that could work but let's see what happens with these sets...

14 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think a winter "Fun in the Snow" people pack would conflict with the City Advent Calendar and the Winter Village set. (mostly the Advent Calendar)

This year's City Advent Calendar doesn't really have any conflict with a people pack imo, it's just LEGO City Adventurers characters and microscale builds

However, I'd still say that the 2019 City Calendar however was basicly a mini-people pack, as it had both the generic people (6 people + santa) and the minifig scale builds.

Edited by TeriXeri