Sign in to follow this  
Johnjacob

Status on X-Men, Fantastic 4

Asked this on a different board but figured I'd ask in here too.

Anyone know if we'll be seeing X-Men or Fantastic 4 sets given the license agreement with Marvel and Fox? Glad to see they at least did the latest mighty micro set with Wolverine and Magneto, so that gives me hope that not all is lost.

Also see the potential for Mr. Fantastic's arms in set 76076.

Lego can make X-Men sets due to the recent Mighty Micros, but isn't very confident in them. I remember hearing that the Blackbird vs. Sentinel set from 2014 didn't sell well. (Which is a shame, I thought that was a pretty good set.) I bet they can also make Fantastic Four sets, but for some reason never have even after their large presence in the first Lego Marvel video game. Those arms would indeed be perfect for Mr. Fantastic!

28 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I'd love a Baxter Building set, or a Fantasticar. I would hope the Fantastic Four minifigures would be based on the comics and not the awful Fan4stic cast though.

They would have to be comic based. Lego sets based on Fan4stic would require a separate license with Fox that they don't have. Same reason we can't get movie based X-Men.

It's a shame, there would be so much potential...
The last set had a great design (for its size), had more interior than some Star Wars sets over 100 bucks AND it gave us great minifigures. Getting Magneto, Wolverine and Storm (first black female figure!) was a must have! The sentinal didn't impress me back then, but it actually is one of the few mechs that has elbow and knee articulation!

Enough euphoria: X-Men rather reaches people outside of TLG's target audience. Kids wanna have Bats or Iron Man. Maybe if the new reboot reaches more kids, we could get more sets.

18 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

It's a shame, there would be so much potential...
The last set had a great design (for its size), had more interior than some Star Wars sets over 100 bucks AND it gave us great minifigures. Getting Magneto, Wolverine and Storm (first black female figure!) was a must have! 

Wasn't Stass Allie the first? 

2 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Lego can make X-Men sets due to the recent Mighty Micros, but isn't very confident in them. I remember hearing that the Blackbird vs. Sentinel set from 2014 didn't sell well. (Which is a shame, I thought that was a pretty good set.) 

This is true, some days you can still find 76022 up to 20% off on Amazon. I personally nabbed one up right when they hit the shelves out of excitement, but I'm just one consumer.

45 minutes ago, Aegis2000 said:

This is true, some days you can still find 76022 up to 20% off on Amazon. I personally nabbed one up right when they hit the shelves out of excitement, but I'm just one consumer.

It also means you can find extra Sentinels for a decent price on Bricklink. Been meaning to get a couple more and make a squad of them.

If we do get more, I really hope they differentiate the characters. All three X-Men sets have had Wolverine and Magneto. There's so many other options! Angel, Beast, Colossus, Jean Grey, Mystique, Rogue, Juggernaut, the list goes on and on. Unfortunately they seem to stick with the most well-known characters.

I think depending on who they wind up including in LMS2 will subsequently effect the characters and sets we'll be getting in the future. Also the first game was made when Marvel and FOX were on somewhat good terms. But all the FOX characters, with the exception of a few villains have been pulled and put on the back burner for comics, cartoons and such. 

On 17.5.2017 at 2:25 AM, Ultron said:

Wasn't Stass Allie the first? 

Yeah, but she wasn't really human, wasn't she? I mean I love diverse alien female heads even more (to reinforce my awesome super diverse Rebel army), but if you'd go for human figures - before Storm you only had "white" heads. Gladly TLBM provided us with a livestock of darker skin tones :grin:.

Lets just accept the fact that Marvel isn't interested in promoting X-men characters anymore. We've had 2 normal sets and 1 MM set, but unless Marvels relationship with Fox improves we won't be seeing any sets in foreseeable future. Plus that 2014 set didn't sell well.

And FF isn't that known or popular  anymore and that 2015 movie didn't do it any good. I can't see any sets based on FF ever happening!

Edited by benderisgreat

Been watching "edge of midnight" you tube channel, there`s a piece on the recent dismal Fantastic Four flick and there ain`t much solid hope for another film so pukka Lego figures would seem to be out, which is a shame!!...boot-legs are the only way to go (for now)

On 5/15/2017 at 0:37 PM, Johnjacob said:

Also see the potential for Mr. Fantastic's arms in set 76076.

Lego just might piggyback Mr. Fantastic into a Spiderman or Avengers set just as an excuse to reuse the new torso again, and Human Torch is definitely a candidate for Ghost Rider's head/hair meld mold, who would likely be given the same piggyback treatment. 

Much like that long, stretched out Green Lantern wait, piggybacking these characters in a set here and there would end up giving us a five to six year wait until the four can assemble as minifigures. :hmpf:

2 hours ago, r5-j2 said:

Been watching "edge of midnight" you tube channel, there`s a piece on the recent dismal Fantastic Four flick and there ain`t much solid hope for another film so pukka Lego figures would seem to be out, which is a shame!!...boot-legs are the only way to go (for now)

If Fox doesn't do a movie based on the Fantastic Four in 7 years the rights for making their movies will go back to Marvel. That would probably mean there's higher hope for sets based on the Fantastic Four.

13 hours ago, Franklinw1234 said:

If Fox doesn't do a movie based on the Fantastic Four in 7 years the rights for making their movies will go back to Marvel. That would probably mean there's higher hope for sets based on the Fantastic Four.

That`s alright for you youngsters... I`ll be 63 or 64 by then ...my eyes will probably be so bad, that`ll I`ll be seeing the "Fantastic Eight"!! 

On 5/16/2017 at 10:12 PM, Ashnflash said:

I think depending on who they wind up including in LMS2 will subsequently effect the characters and sets we'll be getting in the future. Also the first game was made when Marvel and FOX were on somewhat good terms. But all the FOX characters, with the exception of a few villains have been pulled and put on the back burner for comics, cartoons and such. 

I think that may be changing. They just did another X-Men themed Marvel Legends wave from Hasbro late last year and just released an Invisible Woman figure with a Human Torch figure coming soon as well. And after being subjected to a ban on X-Men characters previously, the Marvel Future Fight game is finally adding the X-Men.

And on the TV front Marvel and Fox are collaborating on Legion, Gifted and the upcoming Deadpool TV show.

19 hours ago, Battlinpanther said:

I think that may be changing. They just did another X-Men themed Marvel Legends wave from Hasbro late last year and just released an Invisible Woman figure with a Human Torch figure coming soon as well. And after being subjected to a ban on X-Men characters previously, the Marvel Future Fight game is finally adding the X-Men.

And on the TV front Marvel and Fox are collaborating on Legion, Gifted and the upcoming Deadpool TV show.

Glad to see things are looking up and as the Fantastic Four really kicked off Marvel`s popularity (although the Submariner Namor character well pre-dates them,- going back to the Timely Comics eraof the 1930`s ), I`d love to see a decent treatment of them in tv or film...and also Lego!!!