Renegade Clone

[MOC] [Instructions] UCS Zeta-class cargo shuttle

Very impressive! I always wondered why Lego did not release this one as a set but looking at the size I know why. Anything smaller than this would ruin the design.

Finally, I have finished searching my current bricks stock and I already have 2500 of the bricks needed for this build. The remaining 1900 ones I have just ordered from 3 different stores on bricklink.

Construction wil begin soon!

I have ordered about 50% of the parts. So I don't get over excited and spend all my money at once, I have made a rule that I only buy a few orders at a time, and can't order more until those orders are delivered and checked off. Haha I live in Australia, and had a 1000 piece order come from Lithuania, that took a long time. So I'm a bit far behind on parts.

I have 66% now. Haha yeah *waves fist at adult responsibilities* I will get there soon enough. I'm doing A LOT of over time this week, which means cash injection, which means more LEGO! 

Finally going to get started on acquiring the parts for this beauty. I love the task of going through my parts and ticking them off. Also love seeing the total cost of the bricklink order shrinking!

I recently finished mine and have to say it looks amazing, but is huge and the only place I have to keep it is on top of a wardrobe... Kudos to Renegade Clone for such a great design.

37300452731_38618976f9_z.jpg

The shuttle is pretty fragile especially in this front area where I have trouble getting the control panel/windscreen to stay attached to the sloping underside.

36590764644_91e0a06a4f_z.jpg[/url] 

I made some interior mods on the lower deck to include the pillar and cargo netting. Tried to figure out a way to put running lights along the walls but ended up with white plates instead, maybe a future project.

37044707800_0594a07da5_z.jpg

Edited by highaltitude

I also finished the model a little while back. One of the most fantastic additions to my collection. I had a couple problems. First is the insane repetitive nature of building the wings (which is not your fault at all and was something I was aware of going in) and the second one is how flimsy the wings can be. Moving it can sometimes be an absolute nightmare. I tried to move mine to a different table to get enough space for the wings to go down and because it's the tiniest bit lopsided, when I put them back up, the left side wings came crashing down. This is probably something that cannot be fixed due to the necessary weight of the wings but you really do gotta place it where you want to. Other than that though it was an amazing experience to build and display and hopefully you do another UCS model at this scale 

To anyone that has finished the build, would you be able to tell me the dimensions and weight of the model? I know a guy that makes stands for Lego kits, like this 

and I want to get him to make me one and I need to know the dimensions and weight first! Cheers 

_20171008_130629.JPG

This is a fantastic build!! I have spent the last 3 days building this beast! All the photos definitely don't do it justice. The build quality is fantastic. I'd say I'm about 2/3 done. 

38467866946_7b6aba28dc_k.jpg

finished mine some time ago ,all internals at random colours as had plenty spares to use,redone wings and gearboxes so you can turn front and back wing adjustment same direction,wings a closer to each other to avoid leaning back and forward and some additional bricks and plates here and there

26748081489_1f4dd80e63_k.jpg

38492065532_14af93e4a2_k.jpg

26748092609_8892b25175_k.jpg26748095839_4c137cd02c_k.jpg37808223904_d458c0b79d_k.jpg

37808233474_53b2da880a_k.jpg

37808239394_6acafbb172_k.jpg26748107349_c47d2908f8_k.jpg

38492098352_9a6e7e24b5_k.jpg38467924296_ced151d50a_k.jpg38524174001_e506c358b1_k.jpg

Edited by gregorski904

This model is one of the greatest I’ve ever seen… So many details ! 

Some said that the build was very steady and sturdy. But I also read that the wings were fragiles. Besides, all uploaded photos are showing the shuttle with the wings folded... Could those who built it tell me more about it ?

On 01/10/2017 at 6:47 AM, RogueRecon said:

I also finished the model a little while back. One of the most fantastic additions to my collection. I had a couple problems. First is the insane repetitive nature of building the wings (which is not your fault at all and was something I was aware of going in) and the second one is how flimsy the wings can be. Moving it can sometimes be an absolute nightmare. I tried to move mine to a different table to get enough space for the wings to go down and because it's the tiniest bit lopsided, when I put them back up, the left side wings came crashing down. This is probably something that cannot be fixed due to the necessary weight of the wings but you really do gotta place it where you want to. Other than that though it was an amazing experience to build and display and hopefully you do another UCS model at this scale 

My original version (posted in February) only had a single functioning 40-tooth gear / gearbox arrangement per wing. However, this was not stable long-term (one side collapsed after a week). Therefore, I doubled the number of gearboxes to eight in total when I developed the instructions.

I played around with linking the gearboxes together. However, the UCS Lambda’s are mounted in series (two per wing) whereas mine are mirrored (just like the wings are). I see @gregorski904 has modified the forward wings to be in series (the gear housings are reversed). But I did not want my instructions to contain four different wing builds. Two is bad enough to repeat twice!

If I had scrapped the cargo bay and aft cockpit, there would be plenty room for a larger and sturdier gearbox assembly. However, the space available was exactly right for the UCS Lambda configuration.

On 08/10/2017 at 3:46 AM, tobh_24 said:

To anyone that has finished the build, would you be able to tell me the dimensions and weight of the model? I know a guy that makes stands for Lego kits, like this 

and I want to get him to make me one and I need to know the dimensions and weight first! Cheers 

The model is 70cm (length) 56cm (height) 38cm (width). Standing with it on bathroom scales gives me 4.9kg :laugh: I find it best to move the shuttle by firmly holding the orange section on each side underneath the side cylinders - do not hold it by the cylinders alone!

On 15-5-2017 at 9:55 AM, Renegade Clone said:

I have put together a package that includes the 768 page pdf instruction manual, parts list and LDD file. All of it is available for 25 British pounds (£25). If you would like to purchase the plans, please either PM me or contact me at renegadelight@googlemail.com.

<snip>

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss anything about the model design, building steps, part substitutions, etc. 

Hello,

I'm very interested for the intructions manual.

I sent you an email to know how does it work to send you the 25 pounds.

Thanks

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote images

Happy ! :laugh:

Instructions manual received ! And i did a first order for 331 pcs. (the first i need to start).

So the work could begin very soon !!! I will post pictures.

May the force be with ME ! :grin:

question for those that have built this, with regards to the 8 technic gearboxes that you need for the wings.  Are they visible, since I am looking to use alternative to the clear one's that are in the parts list, which will reduce costs quite significantly.

4 hours ago, Lahh001 said:

question for those that have built this, with regards to the 8 technic gearboxes that you need for the wings.  Are they visible, since I am looking to use alternative to the clear one's that are in the parts list, which will reduce costs quite significantly.

They aren’t, however, they are used for a mechanism on the inside that lets you lower/raise the wings. 

4 hours ago, RogueRecon said:

They aren’t, however, they are used for a mechanism on the inside that lets you lower/raise the wings. 

Sorry wasn’t completely clear.  I’m looking to use the same piece but in black as opposed to clear.  So I should still be able to lower/raise wings and not impact the look from the exterior.  But looks like you’ve answered my question that it won’t be visible from outside.  Less than 800 pieces to go!

They aren't visible from outside. 

On a side note I bought a crap load of extra technic pins to help make the wings more sturdy and not pull apart in the middle of the join. So hopefully that works