Sign in to follow this  
TCRR Constitution

Need some steam locomotive tips

I just need some tips to build a steam loco. what parts would look good? also, would a single axle front truck, unflanged driver unflanged driver flanged driver unflanged driver config work? 

Image result for southern 630

Building steamers are probably some of the most challenging MOC trains to build. Wheel arrangement all depends on what you are building and what you feel works best for you and what your skill is. In my experience, I started with the Emerald Night. I learned a lot about building steamers with that set. If you don't have one you can download the instructions and build it in LDD because it is really expensive. After building the EN I built a 4-4-0 American. Pretty simple but I found it was helpful to start small before going on to something bigger.

As for what parts to use, well, whatever works and looks good. I find it to be fun and challenging to find creative ways to use different parts. For example, the dynamo on my Big Boy has a barbell part in it, I use minifig hands in the hands rails, battle droid arms for step rungs....the list goes on. Also, I build everything in LDD first that way I can play with all sorts of different parts to see how they work.

Hope that helps.

Agree with Alco.

As for the wheel configuration you mentioned, fixed leading axle and then four drivers with only one flanged, I don't think that will work. You'll probably find that the distance between the fixed & flanged axles is too long.

The leading axle needs to pivot, then you can have two of the driver axles with flanged wheels. Which two works best is a matter of trial and error. On my BR 65 I have a similar configuration (but with a trailing bogie at the back). I have the axles close together with the flanged wheels on the first and last axle. It just about works but is not reliable on points so I would suggest flanged wheels on the 2nd & 4th or 1st and 3rd axle.