Sign in to follow this  
Wooshy

9v (Train) motor guide

Hey everyone,
First post, here and I am probably making a mistake, although I did look and could not find what I was after. A bit of back story, When I was alot younger, I had 2 lego train sets (4563 and 4564). I enjoyed these alot. Recently in my life I have found myself in a stable job and having enjoyed my share of lifes delicacies, I have found myself building my old lego sets. After buying some second hand 9v train motors from ebay, I find the train motors at various degrees of life (I.e 2 motors are quite quick, while 2 of the motors are slow). I have a long term plan to build a city and use the spare motors in either doubling up (Ie 2 motors on 4564) or for arguements sake in the tram from set 60097. So basically I would like a guide to renewing/restoring the motors themselves inside the bogie. Sorry for the long winded post, which the answer will inevitaby be right infront of my eyes. Im a competent solderer (isnt that even a word ?) so I am ok to take them apart the Bogie/motor to rewire etc. Is there anyway of changing the motor for a power functions motor (the motor inside the bogie, Im hoping you all know what I mean haha) or can I buy new 9v motors?? Thank you in advanced.

Wooshy

Edited by Wooshy

You can find new motors on eBay but, they go for crazy insane prices. Like $130 for one motor. But there are ways for making motorized trucks. 

Cheers, Tcrr Constitution 

Edited by TCRR Constitution

Hi, and welcome to eurobricks! It is possible to take a PF train motor and adapt it to function as a 9V motor, but it's complex and requires soldering. There are some videos on YouTube that give step by step instructions, but I don't recommend you do it. My suggestion? Embrace PF! It's versatile, and offers other options for motorization outside of the train motor such as the XL, L, and M motors. On page fourteen of this thread I have linked, there is a discussion on the subject of PF vs 9V trains. Some very good points were made on the pros & cons of both options. Worth checking out.

Thank you both for the response. I should add I am by no means against PF. I have 60052, with a hybrid PF and 9v motor setup. I have 60051 which has 3 middle passanger carts and power functions in the front and rear carriages. ( I reversed the rear carriage motor using Dunksterbricks method on youtube). Here

I also have 60098 using the above motor method with 2 motors. All it is I am building my lego city I did a test of my 9v motors and 2 could do with referbishment and was wondering which way is best to go about it. Sorry for the delay response I have spent today building Assembly Square. Infact I stoped using 60052 because the PF ended up drag/pushing the 9v motor due to its superior torque.

Edited by Wooshy
more text

Feel free to crack open the motors and take a look by cutting off the 10 clips on the bottom. The case's fit is tight enough to hold together without the clips.
The most common things the motors need to get back up to running are:
- Cleaning of the wheels and track, and sometimes the internal components need cleaning/lubrication.

-Each wheel has two springs rubbing against it that pick up the power. These wear down over time, and eventually have poor contact. Simply remove the wheels, and bend the springs out a little to give them more pressure on the wheels.

If these don't work, the electric motors themselves do wear out eventually. Luckily they can be replaced with brand new ones from inside the currently available PF train motors.
You can find a lot of info and videos on this here: