AlmightyArjen

Lego train random controlled by Arduino 2.0

Hey,

A few years back I set up a layout which consisted of one big loop with a couple of side tracks where trains can be parked. So multiple trains were running on the same loop. This system had a central controller and the downside of this was that a lot of times the system had to wait for a train to come in or there were only two trains at the maximum running around. This time I've made a system with six side tracks and every side track has its own controller. So the choice wether to park a train on the side track or not is done locally based on a few variables like distance with the previous train and how long the side track was not occupied. A video says more than words so enjoy :)

You finally got it working! Well done! (I've been following the progress on this on your WIP channel).

This is an impressive layout, and the storytelling/animation is well done too. Have you ever considered trying make a layout modular and taking it to a show or something, or would that be too complex/stressful/time consuming? Thinking about it, it probably would. It's just that I'm sure loads of people would love to see something like this 'in the flesh'...

Very nice.  It seems to be missing the earth shattering kaboom crash.  :classic:

Thanks for the positive comments!

4 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

You finally got it working! Well done! (I've been following the progress on this on your WIP channel).

This is an impressive layout, and the storytelling/animation is well done too. Have you ever considered trying make a layout modular and taking it to a show or something, or would that be too complex/stressful/time consuming? Thinking about it, it probably would. It's just that I'm sure loads of people would love to see something like this 'in the flesh'...

I've thought about it yes, but the commissioning of a layout like in the video takes a lot of time, like 40 hours or so which is too long. I could scale it down a bit, with for example two side tracks instead of six which makes everything a bit more easy. But shows aren't my cup of tea: standing there while people have a look at my layout, not really my thing ;)

8 minutes ago, AlmightyArjen said:

Thanks for the positive comments!

I've thought about it yes, but the commissioning of a layout like in the video takes a lot of time, like 40 hours or so which is too long. I could scale it down a bit, with for example two side tracks instead of six which makes everything a bit more easy. But shows aren't my cup of tea: standing there while people have a look at my layout, not really my thing ;)

I displayed my Arduino controlled PF train ping-pong at an event last weekend as a test.  I found I get more interests from kids than adults.  Shows are a good way to find flaws and situations you didn't account for in your design like people looking over the top of the train and blocking the IR command signals.  The person next to me got scared and built a barrier at the end of my track so I don't crash into her MOCs.  :classic:

Wow, that looks great. Like this the trains look like they are running very realistically. Amazing how smoothly it all goes.

AlmightyArien,

That is a fantastic use of the computers. I have been trying to automate trains using the PF

AlmightyArien, That is a fantastic use of the computers. I've been playing with automating train functions using the EV3 with the newer PF trains. I used a ir link by hitechnic and it worked but the ir is line of sight and very short range. I basically dropped the effort. I'm waiting for this summer. S-Brick has said that they will have language support this summer as well as interface with the EV3 motors and sensors. Bluetooth control from a pc using sensors and train control could lead to some fun things.