Sequential AWD 4-speed gearbox with V8 fake engine

Features
- AWD with center differential
- Sequential 4-speed gearbox
- One-finger shifter
- V8 fake engine

This gearbox is an excerpt from my rugged supercar project. The mid-console has an important role in the overall stiffness of that model. It had to be narrow as well. If you build (have built) it, you will also notice it has very little torsional flex.

I wanted a 4-speed sequential gearbox covering a wide range of ratios. So not something like 1:2.5 upto 1:1, but rather something like 1:3:5 upto 1:0.8. Another requirement I had, was that I didn't want red clutch gears to transfer drive on axles rotating at different RPM. This is a common practice, but from modding the Porsche I know it induces a lot of friction on the axles involved. When not engaged, red clutch gears better only make dummy rotations and not transfer drive. And finally, all had to fit underneath the engine; I didn't want the gearbox to be routed through the entire chassis.

960x450.jpg

Instructions available on Rebrickable.com.

Have fun!

Edited by Didumos69

I recommend building this gearbox.  It's very fun to play with.  Very little friction, smooth shifting and the gear ratios are well displayed through the moving pistons.

Edit: Just noticed that this version doesn't have the engine connected, it's pretty easy to do.

Edit 2: need more coffee.

Edited by BusterHaus

5 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Great gearbox!

I like that you added a V8, which is something different.

Will build! :grin:

Good luck!

25 minutes ago, IA creations said:

I will mod it to be an 8 speed hopefully :) thx for instructions !! 

I would be very interested!

23 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

Edit: Just noticed that this version doesn't have the engine connected, it's pretty easy to do.

It should have the engine connected. What makes you think it doesn't?

Edited by Didumos69

21 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

It should have the engine connected. What makes you think it doesn't?

Lack of coffee. :laugh:  My mistake, apologies for the confusion.

Looks awesome @Didumos69, so smooth and fluid. I'd really like to build it at some point, maybe build a HOG model from it (as the crowds gasp in horror, Dugald, manual, noooo :tongue:) definitely one of the cleanest/refined shifters I've seen! 

Love it! :wub:This makes 2 cool new gearbox ideas that I've seen this week with the other being a left/right push button hog changer with r-n-d shifter.

2 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

,maybe build a HOG model from it (as the crowds gasp in horror, Dugald, manual, noooo :tongue:

yes, i very much dont like to not use my pf i bought.

Wow, this seems close to, if not perfect! Shifts flawlessly every time, extremely robust, compact.... The list goes on and on. I'll have to build this for sure!

@Meatman Would you mind sharing a link to this other one?

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

I know about axles thread, but I haven't seen about gear boxes, what could be also usefull

Thanks to everyone for the kind replies!

14 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

I'd really like to build it at some point, maybe build a HOG model from it (as the crowds gasp in horror, Dugald, manual, noooo :tongue:)

If you make a HoG model, I will make an RC model, I promise :wink:.

13 hours ago, Meatman said:

with the other being a left/right push button hog changer with r-n-d shifter

You're making me curious, do you have any links to that gearbox?

11 hours ago, IA creations said:

it is so sturdy

6 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

extremely robust, compact....

3 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Very robust, sturdy, etc.

The mid-console has an important role in the overall stiffness of the model for which I developed this gearbox. It had to be narrow as well. If you build (have built) it you will also notice it has very little torsional flex.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

Is there thread for geraboxes, like for axles?

I could start one with this as a first entry and see what happens?

Edited by Didumos69

9 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

You're making me curious, do you have any links to that gearbox?

Hmm. There were 2 pictures of a chassis on the technic facebook page 3 or 4 days ago, but I cannot find them anymore. Apparently they were deleted because I "liked" them, but when I go back to my history, they are not there. :sceptic: It was a front engine mount with what looked like a HOG steering in the rear and buttons made form liftarms on each side with springs, and there was a pointer in the middle(like a clock) that showed the gear. I am pretty certain that it was Paul's. He shared a picture with me last year of something similar to this, but this looks completely different. The suspension was also different from anything that I had seen before due to the shock placement. The center console shifter had 1 x 1 square R-N-D tiles on the driver side of it.

Edited by Meatman

18 hours ago, Meatman said:

Too bad. If it's Paul's, I hope it will end up in his next build.

On 5/13/2017 at 3:27 AM, Didumos69 said:

you make a HoG model, I will make an RC model, I promise :wink:.

That sounds like a challenge, if it was a supercar competition I would lose to both of you. I think I've my collection isn't enough to make a proper supercar.

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Too bad. If it's Paul's, I hope it will end up in his next build.

I made something like that in my BMW 328 Hommage

The gear shifter can move side to side to switch between D-N-R. And when it is in D it can move forward and backwards to switch the gears up and down. When in R it is always in the same gear ratio and when in D it has a stop in it to prevent switching from 1 to 4 or vice versa.

On 14-5-2017 at 1:14 PM, DugaldIC said:

You sir have a deal! :wink: it'll be something entirely out of our comfort zone. 

Deal!

On 14-5-2017 at 7:15 PM, aeh5040 said:

Wow, looks awesome. I'm going to try this right away...

Thanks! I'd say, build it and let us know your thoughts!