LegoMonorailFan

[WIP] Lego monorails. [Custom Rail Systems (CRS)]

Hey, LegoMonorailFan, so I've been trying for some time to make a smoother running monorail and, while I think I have the motor and gearing OK, I took a closer look at yours to see why it ran so smoothly (although I'd like to see it running smoothly slowly).  I see what you did with the gears for wheels and the hinges you made between the motors and the carriages, which restricts the train from being able to change elevations.

Is there a reason you couldn't use two wheel sets per carriage so that the motor portion doesn't have to support half the carriage?

I have kind of given up on the idea of a functional four-wide (I still think about it), I might even think standard train magnets could work, and could result in arbitrary sized trains.

On 1/14/2018 at 11:27 PM, djm said:

Fully built double switch (please pardon the parts' colour selection!).

[vid removed]

Regards,

David

I was wondering if it wasn't possible to somehow accomplish this with one motor.

37 minutes ago, fred67 said:

Hey, LegoMonorailFan, so I've been trying for some time to make a smoother running monorail and, while I think I have the motor and gearing OK, I took a closer look at yours to see why it ran so smoothly (although I'd like to see it running smoothly slowly).  I see what you did with the gears for wheels and the hinges you made between the motors and the carriages, which restricts the train from being able to change elevations.

Is there a reason you couldn't use two wheel sets per carriage so that the motor portion doesn't have to support half the carriage?

I have kind of given up on the idea of a functional four-wide (I still think about it), I might even think standard train magnets could work, and could result in arbitrary sized trains.

My quote below explains how the monorail functions, and the reason for it's design in fairly good detail. :classic:

Well there are a lot different ways to make inclines and declines, but this monorail system isn't capable of making inclines and declines. And the very thing that doesn't allow it to make inclines and declines is what allows the monorail system to function. 

The coupler design (which can be seen in the picture below) is designed to hold up the cars, which travel on a single guider wheel.

Lego monorail

The entire monorail contacts the rail at three points. The motor.

Lego monorail

And the two car guider wheels. One for each car.

Lego monorail

Once assembled (seen in picture below) the modular setup is ready to have the cosmetic makeup of the monorail added.

Lego monorail

The reason this design is important to the function of the monorail is because in order for the monorail to have traction, it needs the weight of the cars.

When I was first designing the system, I would add a guider wheel to both the front and back of the cars. My intention was to have the couplers designed to pivot up and down to allow inclines and declines. But because there was a guider wheel in the back of the car, no weight was being applied to the motor meaning no traction. So that meant the back guider wheel had to go. Which in turn meant the coupler had to be locked from pivoting up or down which meant meant no inclines or declines. :sceptic: 

However (I haven't tested it) the monorail may be able to make gradual inclines and declines by means of flecking the track. 

40 minutes ago, fred67 said:

I was wondering if it wasn't possible to somehow accomplish this with one motor.

I'm not entirely sure since I haven't built his double switch yet. If I'm correct, I'd think no. 

5 hours ago, fred67 said:

It seems unlikely to me to be able to do this with one motor. I guess that there might be some cunning mechanical configuration where it could cycle between the three different settings using one motor but coming up with that would be way above my pay grade.

David

10 hours ago, fred67 said:

Yup... sorry.  Kind of got ahead of myself.

:laugh: That's okay! Any questions you may have, just ask. I'm more than eager to go into all the little details! :sweet:

11 hours ago, djm said:

It seems unlikely to me to be able to do this with one motor. I guess that there might be some cunning mechanical configuration where it could cycle between the three different settings using one motor but coming up with that would be way above my pay grade.

David

I was thinking about the servo motor.  Granted, it wouldn't stay in a switched position, but turning one way would make one connection, the other way would make the other connection.  I'm certain I've seen people accomplish things like this with one motor, but I understand if it's even possible, it would be complex and may involve some unwanted friction and require things like clutch gears.

3 hours ago, fred67 said:

I was thinking about the servo motor.  Granted, it wouldn't stay in a switched position, but turning one way would make one connection, the other way would make the other connection.  I'm certain I've seen people accomplish things like this with one motor, but I understand if it's even possible, it would be complex and may involve some unwanted friction and require things like clutch gears.

@Mark Bellis has built a 4 track switch with a single servo motor (refer to pictures within his brickshelf gallery). I don't know whether or not it is able to go from any one setting to any other (e.g. from "A" to "B" directly and from "A" to "C" directly) or whether it has to step through each one (e.g. from "A" to "B" directly and from "A" to "C" but via "B").

David