Trekkie99

[WIP] Lego monorails. [Custom Rail Systems (CRS)]

Will you share the LLD file? I build the old version based on a LLD file but I had too many issues that the engine got lose and it seems this version has fixed that issue.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:33 PM, FerRory said:

Will you share the LLD file? I build the old version based on a LLD file but I had too many issues that the engine got lose and it seems this version has fixed that issue.

Sorry, I don't plan to share any files as I think the video will show you how to make.
And then I want you to make the body freely.

Hello everyone

First, you guys are amazing, thanks for being helpful and sharing your builds and ideas :)

I built a Lego city and I tried to have the tram from 60097 running on train rails with the motor (88002) in the first train together with IR receiver (8884) and battery pack (8800-1) in the middle bike carriage. I used Jangbricks idea to have everything fitted within the tram but sadly the curve radius made fail (the rails where hanging outside the table due to the width of the curves)

So, I have been thinking about building some elevated solution and having a monorail is the way I want to go, I have some questions which I hope you guys can help me with?

1. The radius of the curves on most of the builds I've seen here are the same as the train rails (60205) and I would like for my 90 degree curves to fit within a 32x32 plate), what would be the best way to build the curves for me ? 

2. Could I make the monorail work with the Power Functions items I own today ? (I have not seen a motorized version with the 88002 motor)

You can see some photos of my Lego Town (Los Ingeles) at https://photos.app.goo.gl/843qE13HBVYdTZi7A

Any help, pointers or tips I can get before I start is very helpful and appriciated :)

Hey @ingels! I'm glad you're enjoying this topic! :sweet:

4 hours ago, ingels said:

1. The radius of the curves on most of the builds I've seen here are the same as the train rails (60205) and I would like for my 90 degree curves to fit within a 32x32 plate), what would be the best way to build the curves for me ? 

Yes, you can fit a 90 degree curve into a 32x32 baseplate. All you'll need is 24 rail links for each 90 degree curve, which you can see below different ways they can be constructed, as well as how they're put together. At 24 links, it might be a little tight for some peoples taste, but it'll work. :classic:

4 hours ago, ingels said:

2. Could I make the monorail work with the Power Functions items I own today ? (I have not seen a motorized version with the 88002 motor)

You might have more options for how you can build your monorail using regular motors such as the M, L, and XL motors (espesially if your monorail is going to be taking such tight corners), however Masao Hidaka has built a monorail using the normal train motor which you can see in these videos!

On 4/25/2020 at 1:27 PM, ingels said:

Maybe this post helps. You can use every radius inbetween the two brick built structures (and of course larger radii). The tighter radius might be a struggle for your engine though... :look:

I wasn't happy with my original inclines. They started too abrupt. Many much better designs, but the one by MonsieurCaron stood out for me. Clean track design. However, the big support structures were not my cup of tea. The new centered bracket I mentioned before made me think if I could implement one of those. It took a while, since I felt it would disconnect if I just placed it on top. But I found a solution by letting the horizontal track overlap these brackets. It makes for a clean design and feels reasonably sturdy. Obviously this is only a test model: the final one will contain less colour vomit, and will be tiled off (with inverted tiles on the other side). 800x600.jpg I have yet to test with a train, I might need to adjust the angle if this turns out to be too steep. This might clarify it a bit: 49900745657_5cb5464fef_c.jpgMonorail incline connection by Rijk van Voorst, on Flickr

Edited by Rijkvv

9 hours ago, Masao Hidaka said:

This video is "Lego Monorail 3 Directions Switch Rail test".

That is super clever! Love how the retracting tile/plate piece holds up the slide for just a second or two.

Hello Guys,

Today I got a little bored and decided to digitaly make a modified airport shuttle that is able to run on the crs track. Have a look:

Airport Shuttle Mod

the studio file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/900b6lt5aw910om/Airport Shuttle Mod.io?dl=0

feel free to build it and tell me if it works as i do not have the parts to do so right now

XG BC

Edited by XG BC

33 minutes ago, XG BC said:

Hello Guys,

Today I got a little bored and decided to digitaly make a modified airport shuttle that is able to run on the crs track. Have a look:

Airport Shuttle Mod

the studio file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/900b6lt5aw910om/Airport Shuttle Mod.io?dl=0

feel free to build it and tell me if it works as i do not have the parts to do so right now

XG BC

Very nice!  Was just rereading this thread yesterday thinking nobody had posted on it for a while....

I don't have the money currently for a CRS, though due to monorail prices I will eventually get one I think.  Airport Shuttle looks good like this - though that motor you've chosen to use is pretty rare (it starts on BL at around £20...)

Yea thats the one of two pf motors i currently own, the other one beeing the train motor. I am shure this is able to be redesigned using a more common motor such as the pf m or l motor. I might need to get another motor myself because the E-motor i have is broken it runs but gets slower after some time and the safety thermistor gets really hot and starts smelling. I will attempt to redesign the motor portion tomorrow.

XG BC

Awesome! You decided to go with wide and stubby instead of thin and long like in my digital mockup. You truly are the master of lego monorail!

XG BC

Came across this suspended Lego monorail on You Tube.
Not sure it has been posted before but if it has unable to locate it on this thread.

Seems to work well.

@zephyr1934 Oh yeah... that motor has a veryyyy small footprint!! It looks to be about 2x4x2?

I think the only misstep in this design is that the connection point is on the broad side of the brick, versus the top side (best imho) or back side (traditional).

I hope they will put the motors up for sale individually, but for now 40 usd for 2x motors isn’t terrible...

:moar:

I ordered two of those a while ago and can't wait to receive them! :wub_drool:

I will post about it when they've arrived.

I was inspired by "Building a Suspended LEGO Train" of JK Brickworks-san.
So I tried to build this Suspended Monorail with Powered Up.

And then I tried to build the switch rail for this Suspended Monorail.

Wow, the suspended LEGO train solutions presented here are really nice!

I do take the "Schwebebahn" frequently in real life to get rather fast from A to B in the city of Wuppertal in Germany - this is where my university is located.

How many of this particular type of suspended trains are out there? Not the ones that run on elevated track, as on mono rails. I really don't know ...

Best
Thorsten

51 minutes ago, Toastie said:

I do take the "Schwebebahn" frequently in real life to get rather fast from A to B in the city of Wuppertal in Germany - this is where my university is located.

How many of this particular type of suspended trains are out there? Not the ones that run on elevated track, as on mono rails. I really don't know ...

Best
Thorsten

As far as I know, the Wuppertal system is the only one of its kind in operation.  The Memphis Suspension Railway is similar but cable-driven and not a full-fledged transit service.  I think there's also a mountain incline railway like this using cable-haul.  Most suspended monorails use a hollow box-beam with rubber-tired bogies travelling inside, with the train connected to the bogies through a slot in the bottom of the box structure.

www.monorails.org is THE site to visit if you want to read up on everything monorail.

Now what I'd really like to see is someone attempt to model the Lockheed Monorail as found on the defunct Himeji Monorail line.  It's essentially a Lartigue configuration attached to an elevated concrete beam, but marketed as a brand-new space-age invention.

11 hours ago, Toastie said:

Best
Thorsten

There is also a suspended monorail in Dresden which goes up a short incline. This system is also cable driven and if i am not mistaken the guy that developed that system was the same guy that developed the wuppertal suspended monorail.

XG BC

My previous design was flawed and was likely unable to take inclines, but here I have a few designs that should be able to:

51153254080_b6fabfe777_c.jpgMonorail space train thingy v2 by Rijk van Voorst, on Flickr

Mostly an attempt for a Classic Space monorail. Due to the limited available pieces in trans yellow, and partly because I like it, I went with the 6931 scheme instead. I have the feeling this train is too heavy, but I'm not able to test it yet.

51159666623_cd6919004f_c.jpgVintage monorail design by Rijk van Voorst, on Flickr

An attempt to a vintage monorail. I think this should be not as heavy.

Both trains use the same setup as Masao Hidaka's original Airport Shuttle rebuild, except that I went with PF instead of Powered Up.

I have made building instructions for @Rijkvv's CRD incline connector:

crs_incline_connector.png

Rijkvv was both gracious and generous to allow me to post the building instructions in this thread. The PDF file for the instructions and the LDraw file can be downloaded from bricksafe. Nore that this is an experimental build and suited to the style of track built using plates rather than with bricks. Please experiment with the build and post back any observations or suggestions you may have.

Regards,

David

Edited by djm
Typo