Trekkie99

[WIP] Lego monorails. [Custom Rail Systems (CRS)]

Just now, mrfuture said:

Looks like a lot has happens since the last time i wrote here (Eurobrick. )
Just found a like to this thread on Facebook when someone was talking about custom Monorail. 

I have done a version, but it failed big time at a Lug event. So i have been on and off the drawingboard with new variation. 
Got some new ideas in this thread that may solve some problems. Train was based on Hidakas design.

Sorry to hear your monorail went kaput. :sceptic: Hope you'll be able to get it working! :sweet:

Do you have a link to the facebook thread?

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Sorry to hear your monorail went kaput. :sceptic: Hope you'll be able to get it working! :sweet:

Do you have a link to the facebook thread?

You have to be member of the Lego space Classic group. It is on the top at the moment.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/126225204377698/762472864086259/?comment_id=763160717350807&reply_comment_id=763459233987622&notif_id=1543337959262072&notif_t=group_comment_mention

Maybe i start thinkering again with my monorail

Edited by mrfuture

LegoMonorailFan: I trying to copying your design for the engine part that you posted back on page 2. 
When i trying to turn it without the motor. it is very hard to turn.? 
I suspect t that the rubberwheels hit the large vertical cogwheel or the above axle.

Edited by mrfuture

Here is a closeup picture of the gears .
having 2 more wheels is due to my design. I may reveal the the design later.

Monorail motor-1.jpg

Edited by mrfuture

You have too much tyres on the axle. You have to use only 3 tyres. Second: replace the 6w cross axle above the tyres with a 2w peg/crossaxle connector (6562). Then it will work. 

4 hours ago, mrfuture said:

Here is a closeup picture of the gears .
having 2 more wheels is due to my design. I may reveal the the design later.

Monorail motor-1.jpg

I personally recommend removing the two middle tyres, and shift the tyre on the left a little to bit to the right. The reason I shift the tyre is because sometimes it runs risk of rubbing up against the black bevel gear. Also as @FiliusRucilo has mentioned, using one of these in place of the 6 long cross axle that you've used for the black bevel gear is very important.

38606530595_418ecfdff5_z.jpg

In the above photo, the space between the two tyres is probably 4/5ths the width of a technic bush. The tyre closest to the gears is ever so slightly closer to the other tyre to ensure that the tyre does not rub up the gears. The half bushing in back of the tyre is there to ensure the tyre doesn't move any closer to the other tyre while the monorail is running.

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I personally recommend removing the two middle tyres, and shift the tyre on the left a little to bit to the right. The reason I shift the tyre is because sometimes it runs risk of rubbing up against the black bevel gear. Also as @FiliusRucilo has mentioned, using one of these in place of the 6 long cross axle that you've used for the black bevel gear is very important.

38606530595_418ecfdff5_z.jpg

In the above photo, the space between the two tyres is probably 4/5ths the width of a technic bush. The tyre closest to the gears is ever so slightly closer to the other tyre to ensure that the tyre does not rub up the gears. The half bushing in back of the tyre is there to ensure the tyre doesn't move any closer to the other tyre while the monorail is running.

I thought of that but did not see anything that caused the problem. But have now removed one tire and put the black gear on a tan pin w/axle. 
What i noted that everything was run fine until i put on the axle with the tires, I think it is the friction between axle with tire and the black gear.

What length of the axle on the motor ? 2L

Just now, mrfuture said:

I thought of that but did not see anything that caused the problem. But have now removed one tire and put the black gear on a tan pin w/axle. 
What i noted that everything was run fine until i put on the axle with the tires, I think it is the friction between axle with tire and the black gear.

What length of the axle on the motor ? 2L

Does the wheel axle have enough side-to-side free play that would allow the tyre closest to the gears to rub up against the black bevel gear?

The motor axle length on mine is 3L.

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Does the wheel axle have enough side-to-side free play that would allow the tyre closest to the gears to rub up against the black bevel gear?

The motor axle length on mine is 3L.

It could be that i try to turn it by hand on a short axle. But i think all works out when i place the motor on the top. the axles runs free.

Is it only tiles under the motor ? 
The Motor is locked in place by the "couplings" ?

Edited by mrfuture

On 5/12/2018 at 12:25 PM, FiliusRucilo said:

Another Monorail for my System: "Sensai Wu's Emerald Dragon-Mono of Tassel Spinjitzu"
This is a funny Mod of LEGO Set 70612 - Green Ninja Mech Dragon based on my test vehicle no. 3

You can fin a little movie showing the "dragon" in action on flickr

28048480948_e66aa798aa_c.jpg

Just seen the new 2019 Ninjago sets - would you consider doing a monorail of the Ultra Dragon set 70679? I’d be very interested to see how it compares to this one.

https://brickset.com/sets/70679-1/The-Ultra-Dragon

I’d also love to see any other dragon-mech based monorail, but I think this one looks particularly good.

I’m currently contemplating getting a monorail, but I’m not completely sure.

Edited by Vilhelm22

17 hours ago, FiliusRucilo said:

Mmmhhh ...I think i don't do another Ninjago Monorail. But maybe you give yourself a try?! :classic:

Someone i know made a moving, roaring dragon out of that set, with additional to the Boost set. 

On 11/29/2018 at 11:28 AM, mrfuture said:

It could be that i try to turn it by hand on a short axle. But i think all works out when i place the motor on the top. the axles runs free.

Is it only tiles under the motor ? 
The Motor is locked in place by the "couplings" ?

All this time and I forgot to mention that courtesy of @djm, he created a Motor Assembly Instructions PDF for the monorail motor base awhile back! :laugh: Enjoy!

Based on all the brilliant ideas shared in this forum I built a layout combined with the "classical" monorail and showed this at "Bricking Bavaria" in Munich. I used FiliusRucilo's design for the switches - adapted to my color-scheme and with "signals" to indicate the state.

Test run at home:

and in Munich:

Everything worked for 2 1/2 days!

10 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

All this time and I forgot to mention that courtesy of @djm, he created a Motor Assembly Instructions PDF for the monorail motor base awhile back! :laugh: Enjoy!

Thanks, Helps a lot. Even when I'm now building rest of the system for the motor. 

3 hours ago, Asper said:

Based on all the brilliant ideas shared in this forum I built a layout combined with the "classical" monorail and showed this at "Bricking Bavaria" in Munich. I used FiliusRucilo's design for the switches - adapted to my color-scheme and with "signals" to indicate the state.

Test run at home:

and in Munich:

Wow! That's great! They look good running. Do you have an overall view that shows your whole layout?

7 minutes ago, sed6 said:

Wow! That's great! They look good running. Do you have an overall view that shows your whole layout?

Glad you like it!

I just uploaded a shot from Munich (see it on flickr)

32257467098_d518d87fc9_z_d.jpg

and there is another video taken during tests at home:

4 hours ago, Asper said:

Test run at home:

and in Munich:

Awesome layout! :thumbup: How was the overall reception?

3 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Awesome layout! :thumbup: How was the overall reception?

The reception was great! Some people already knew Erek's (@FiliusRucilo) layout and trains.

Unfortunately I did not have enough time to prepare some explanatory text before the exhibition. So I had to talk a lot and explain the history of all the ideas.

It was very interesting (and entertaining :wink:) to listen to all the different theories the visitors came up with (magnetic force, new technic hinge parts used for the curves, ...). I had prepared a short curved track and gave them to the visitors to study and disassemble. For the next show I will also prepare a train to demonstrate the drive technology - just battery, motor and bogies.

Maybe I managed to inspire some of the visitors to build their own monorail.

Edited by Asper

6 hours ago, Asper said:

The reception was great! Some people already knew Erek's (@FiliusRucilo) layout and trains.

Unfortunately I did not have enough time to prepare some explanatory text before the exhibition. So I had to talk a lot and explain the history of all the ideas.

It was very interesting (and entertaining :wink:) to listen to all the different theories the visitors came up with (magnetic force, new technic hinge parts used for the curves, ...). I had prepared a short curved track and gave them to the visitors to study and disassemble. For the next show I will also prepare a train to demonstrate the drive technology - just battery, motor and bogies.

Maybe I managed to inspire some of the visitors to build their own monorail.

Wow that looks great. I hope my crossbread of an Monorail get better this time around. It is based on two different system. But will reveal in time. 

Well, hot on the heels of @Asper, I am displaying my monorail at a train show this weekend, today and tomorrow. Here's video of it running.

It ran all day today, about 8 hours without any problems. I lost track of the number of times I heard "look it's a monorail". Over and over i heard lots of great comments about it. I heard one grandfather tell his grandson, next year when we go to Disney World we'll see one of those. I'm really happy I took the time to set it up and display it. 

2 hours ago, sed6 said:

Well, hot on the heels of @Asper, I am displaying my monorail at a train show this weekend, today and tomorrow. Here's video of it running.

It ran all day today, about 8 hours without any problems. I lost track of the number of times I heard "look it's a monorail". Over and over i heard lots of great comments about it. I heard one grandfather tell his grandson, next year when we go to Disney World we'll see one of those. I'm really happy I took the time to set it up and display it. 

That's a smooth running monorail! Noice! :thumbup:

Courtesy of Hispabricks, @Masao Hidaka has very generously given me permission to make the building instructions I made of his monorail switches available for people to download. So without further ado, you will find below links to PDF file for his left and right monorail switches and his wonderful double switch. Click on the title above each picture to obtain the corresponding instructions.

The switches use LEGO's Power Functions medium motor, allowing them to be controlled in multiple ways. For Example, by a LEGO Infrared controller, simple switch or automated using a trigger built into a track section.

Many thanks to Masao Hidaka.

Regards,

David

Edited by djm

David-san, thank you for making the instructions. :D
Really sorry, my reply is too late.

Btw,I have to consider about them.
more simple, more smooth, etc...
I will enjoy try and error about them. :)
Thank you again. :)

Lluis-san >
Thank you for the information and follow. :D