Trekkie99

[WIP] Lego monorails. [Custom Rail Systems (CRS)]

I use the original design of Masao Hidaka. That works fine even on exhibitions.  Here are Masaos video-instructions:

End of September i was on Skærbæk Fanweekend. klemmbausteinlyrik and zusammengabaut.com has done interviews with me. Maybe you are not able to understand german language but you can see my monorail in action. :-)

On 10/12/2018 at 10:35 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Check out this incredibly stylized CRS monorail which is just a small part of one very massive, collaborative display shown off at this year's Seattle BrickCon... :oh:

Flickr - War of the Technomage

...and here's Beyond the Brick's interview with the display's builders, including a look at its monorail in motion:

Woohoo! She's done! Three months in the making...but she's built and running :)

2018-10-27_05-19-41

If you haven't already, please take a look at my Small Layout on a Door thread for some additional pics. Feel free to comment there also. Comments there are what served as the inspiration for my monorail in the first place :)  This thread however is where I got many of my design ideas so a great big thanks too all of you!!!

Below are a couple of pics of my interior design.

monorail power interior 1monorail power interior 3

I'll post some a video soon. Any comments or questions are welcome. 

Edited by sed6
cnat spele

18 hours ago, sed6 said:

Woohoo! She's done! Three months in the making...but she's built and running :)

2018-10-27_05-19-41

If you haven't already, please take a look at my Small Layout on a Door thread for some additional pics. Feel free to comment there also. Comments there are what served as the inspiration for my monorail in the first place :)  This thread however is where I got many of my design ideas so a great big thanks too all of you!!!

That looks really nice, the nose pieces seem so much more appropriate for a monorail

7 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That looks really nice, the nose pieces seem so much more appropriate for a monorail

Agreed!

Wonderful monorail @sed6! Nice job incorporating the side skirts. Definitely a Disney monorail feel. :thumbup:

Here's a video of her running. Still some work to be done to reduce the wobble and the binding on the curves...

Here's another update. In the video I show how I've set it up to run on lipo batteries. I also give a look at my coupling system and the rail guides underneath. Plus I got the cabs striped!

Another update. I'm getting ready for a train show the 1st of December. My LUG asked me to display and run it my monorail. I've been running it every evening since, working out the kinks.

First the best news, it has traveled over 2.25 miles, 3.6 km since completion. This was over ten test runs totaling just over 6 hours of run time. 

Monorail distance traveled so far.

Knowing this, and believing I have <almost> all the kinks worked out I'm confident about being able to display and run it at the show without trouble.  It will be part of our large LUG train display. My monorail will run around a small section of a city. I'll post pics and give another update after the show. 

With all this running I can say definatively that the slow down in the corners is caused by the dissimilar speeds of the inner and outer wheels. Specifically the rubber tire grips too well and doesn't slip much on the track. With the inner wheel traveling a shorter distance than the outside wheel, the inner wheel is essentially trying to drag the outer wheel thru the curve. 

If I remove the tires and just run it on the rims, it zips right thru the corners without slowing. It has no real traction though so it can't pull any cars. I may investigate this more in the form of a different traction design. 

2018-11-12_08-17-20

The only major change had been the couplers. The old knob in ball plates I had planned were way too tight and would bind in corners. I use a 2x2 turntable exclusively under all my other trains to attach them to the trucks and they prove to work well on the monorail too. The play in the turntables allows some vertical movement of the cars if going over some bumps. The 1 brick gap between the cars looks good to my eye and fortunately it doesn't bind in the corners. Attaching the couplers takes a little practice but I'm good at it now after lots of practice. 

I also have a lot of battery data that I could share. I've experimented with 1.2v rechargables, 1.5v disposable alkaline and 3.7v lipo cells. They yield quite a variety of results. 

Thanks for looking. Comments or questions always welcome .

Hello friends
I'm trying to make the train for my monorail with LDD.
I can not find a nice solution to put the battery and RC and the engine. 
I'd like to put everything in 16 stud
who helps me find a good idea?

Modello senza titolo.jpg

@sed6

I know this seems silly to ask but have you tried only running it with rubber on one side of the track? 

That should allow your other wheel to slip or spin faster...  Might see some slowing on the corners where the rubber is the outer wheel...  So I would try to keep it inside if possible.

40 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

@sed6

I know this seems silly to ask but have you tried only running it with rubber on one side of the track? 

That should allow your other wheel to slip or spin faster...  Might see some slowing on the corners where the rubber is the outer wheel...  So I would try to keep it inside if possible.

Not silly at all! I did try that. And it did solve the slowing in the corners. The problems with that solution are two; one single tire doesn't provide enough traction to move the whole monorail and,  the missing tire means that wheel is now one plate too high causing the car to lean drastically to one side. 

Any other ideas or solutions are welcome. 

48 minutes ago, sed6 said:

Not silly at all! I did try that. And it did solve the slowing in the corners. The problems with that solution are two; one single tire doesn't provide enough traction to move the whole monorail and,  the missing tire means that wheel is now one plate too high causing the car to lean drastically to one side. 

Any other ideas or solutions are welcome. 

Would it be possible to use a larger plastic wheel to make up the difference? 

Just now, Roadmonkeytj said:

Would it be possible to use a larger plastic wheel to make up the difference? 

Maybe, I haven't looked. But that still leaves me with just one powered wheel...

2 hours ago, sed6 said:

Maybe, I haven't looked. But that still leaves me with just one powered wheel...

So just took some time to really study your video....  I'm at a loss on your current design with your space limitations (previously was going off your ldd images).  The only thing I can think of is maybe a Teflon oring from the hardware store? 

56 minutes ago, Masao Hidaka said:

Hello everyone!

Just now, I got this account! :)

IMG_0710s.jpg

Hello! Welcome! Thanks for joining Eurobricks and saying hello in this thread. You have probably noticed that your great monorail work is admired by a lot of people in this thread. Please feel free to show us any new or existing projects you're working on. I like the monorail wash station in your picture. 

1 hour ago, Masao Hidaka said:

Hello everyone!

Hello and a very warm welcome to Eurobricks, Masao! :wub: It's good to have you around! :sweet:

Thank you indeed for not just looking at the topic, but replying here, too! Your works have been a wonderful resource of inspiration (as you can see here: all around the globe!), I hope you continue and give us some nice insights in your work. :blush:
It will be deeply appreciated!

If you feel like, you can tell a bit more about yourself in this topic.

Hi Masao!

Welcome to Eurobricks. It's a honor to have you here at our little monorail thread and i'm looking forward to share thoughts about our constructions with you.  :classic:

4 hours ago, Masao Hidaka said:

Hello everyone!

IMG_0710s.jpg

*oh2* OMG welcome! I'm such a huge fan! Your the reason I love custom Lego monorails so much.  It's an honor to have you here! :sweet:

Man, I love the monorail system you guys have come up with. If I ever manage to construct all the steam locos I want (or finally get fed up with how fiddly they are), I'm totally gonna give this a try too!

19 hours ago, Masao Hidaka said:

Hello everyone!

Welcome to EuroBricks. I'm happy that you have joined as your monorail designs have been inspirational to a number of us.

I was inspired by your videos to create building instructions for your single and double monorail switches. I have not made the building instructions available for downloading as they are your design and I did not have your permission to make them available for people to download. With your permission, I would like to post links to these instructions in this forum so that other builders could see how they are built.

I sent you a similar personal message but I had forgotten that until you get to 10 posts, I think you are unable to use the messenger.

Regards,

David

On 11/22/2018 at 8:11 AM, Masao Hidaka said:

Hello everyone!

IMG_0710s.jpg

Thank you for posting your designs and how-to videos.  Your Monorail post from the Dubai show is the reason and inspiration for me building this!  

Hello everybody. As I told you, I'm happy to share videos of my Space CRS Monorail on our collaborative moonbase as seen at Brickomanie 2018 in Québec, Canada a few weeks ago. 

It runs on Power Function with rechargeable battery pack and two motors. I've tried it with the new PoweredUp (from the Batman Set) and it wasn't as strong. Need to do more test out of the expo. 

My switch were supposed to work on EV3 but I never got the time to build the sensor and add it to the display, so I was just switching them by hand (Actually, by having another motor plugged into a motor, you can make it turn!).

Anyway, this was made possible because of you all sharing your ideas. Thanks a lot. 

Moon Base Monorail CRS at Brickomanie 2018

Two trains, one  moon base

Looks like a lot has happens since the last time i wrote here (Eurobrick. )
Just found a like to this thread on Facebook when someone was talking about custom Monorail. 

I have done a version, but it failed big time at a Lug event. So i have been on and off the drawingboard with new variation. 
Got some new ideas in this thread that may solve some problems. Train was based on Hidakas design.