Trekkie99

[WIP] Lego monorails. [Custom Rail Systems (CRS)]

43502787124_e312a2e211_k.jpg

Because my switch-points are controlled by RaspberryPi systems they are also able to receive commands via wifi network. So i've started building my personal "world domination console". And YES! I have also build trigger rails you can connect to the little shed with a RaspberryPi inside. Meanwhile my whole monorail-system consists of 5 Raspberry's ( three Zeros WH and two model b+ with usb wifi) communicating to each other over TCP/IP. Using RaspberryPi's is much more flexible and cheaper then using LEGO's NXT system. 

44202547552_c76360cf36_b.jpg

Today i've tested the new remote switchboard. Who can find the 5 raspberrys on the picture? ;-)
The buzzer on the switchboard turns both cross-switches simultaneously in straight position.

You can also see two new type of switch points i've made in the last months: 

A crossing (in the middle of the picture)  including trigger switches for automatically turn the rail in correct direction when a train wants to go over. The remaining 3 PF outputs are configured for hosting further switch points, so the crossing is a 3-port signal box also.

Second i have made a double-curve switch point. (lower middle of the picture) The point of interest on this switch point is a piece of track wich is able to bend in both directions. 

5 hours ago, FiliusRucilo said:

44202547552_c76360cf36_b.jpg

Today i've tested the new remote switchboard. Who can find the 5 raspberrys on the picture? ;-)
The buzzer on the switchboard turns both cross-switches simultaneously in straight position.

A crossing (in the middle of the picture)  including trigger switches for automatically turn the rail in correct direction when a train wants to go over. The remaining 3 PF outputs are configured for hosting further switch points, so the crossing is a 3-port signal box also.

Second i have made a double-curve switch point. (lower middle of the picture) The point of interest on this switch point is a piece of track wich is able to bend in both directions. 

Woah! Nice collection of switches. The Y switch rail looks very nice. I'd love to see the crossing rail switch in action!

@MonsieurCaron, I saw your monorail on Flickr. It looks and runs great! :thumbup:

Going Up, Going Down. I've tried many technic to make the rail go up and down, but Masao's technic work very well. 

I'm still waiting for my Bricklink order to build more rail and design my setup and add a moon base with it.

I'll also try to do switchs... with EV3 :-) 

Les rails progressent

14 hours ago, FiliusRucilo said:

If you want some building instructions made for those two new switches, drop me a line.

David

Hi David, there are a few issues to solve, but when the switches are working really properly ans have a stable construction i'll send you the LDD files. 

By the way: Snottingen Monorail goes to Skaerbaek Fanweekend 29th an 30th of September. I hope to see some of you in Denmark! Just follow the yellow tracks he he ...  :classic:

So it's time for me to get out of the shadows. I've been following (litterally) this topic for some months now and have read every progress in my weekly summary.
Then I stumbled upon a similar topic over at 1000steine.de and good hooked to try my own stuff.

First of all: Thanks to all of you contributing in this topic - it's amazing to see the solutions you come up with!!! :wub:

In general I found out that I'm more into "system"-based building, not Technic. :look:  I often stumble across gaps that drive me crazy, because they are something in between 0 and 1 plate. :hmpf: Or the gears don't fit to other gears.

Well, time to get out of the comfort zone:

30699276088_f9a4924723_z.jpg44569492811_9946e828c0_z.jpg
I made two different designs, one based on Masao Hidaka's train and one with one bogey, like FiliusRucilo made. Both work well. The first is driven via an SBrick, the latter by TLC's IR controller, which needs another carriage on the other side of the motor to make it move more smoothly to both sides. :blush:

44569489611_8309edba92_z.jpg

I worked on different ways to build the track: One with 1x1 bricks on the side which is bend outwards (up left), one with 1x2 bricks instead and Mark Bellis idea with plates (below). I also tried a version with 1x2 log bricks (up right) - but the use of them doesn't show any advantage.

While the huge parts usage was already noted here, I still see no advantage on either of the more parts intensive solutions. :look: The version with 1x2 bricks (offsetted on either side) works well and does not use so many bricks.42760129850_643233ea6f_z.jpg
Yet im dissatisfied with the huge curves and definitely will try djm's version in the near future. Then come the ascending and descending parts and last the switches. Work until 2020 I assume. :laugh:

I believe somebody asked it here in the thread, so I decided to take a photo:

44606229702_2b0a39b000_z.jpg

This is the 2-wide monorail curve with 4x19 elements combined to a 180° curve compared to standard 9V track, the smaller 4-wide track and the flexible solution djm figured out.
You can see that the monorail curve is wider than the 9V track.

42846015570_f6e30fc5f2_z.jpg

But the curve can be bent (a bit more) to fit the 9V curve!
If you look closely 14 elements are left over in this case. So if you build the curve parts with 16 instead of 19 elements 4 of those elements would result in a 180° curve.

I presented my monorail at Skaerbaek Fanweekend in Denmark last weekend. So much feedback and so much commendation on my work and the RaspberryPi controlled switchpoints. It was so crazy overwhelming. I'm totally flashed. :laugh:

Thank you to all who visited me in Skaerbaek! :wub:

By the way: The trains where runnning two and an half days without any problems but changing batteries all 3,5 hours. Remote controlling the switchpoints via WiFi from Trigger-Shed works seamless. 

I have also demonstrated the new designed components: Y-switchpoint, crossing and the trigger-rail. All works fine and if i find the time i'll build it in LDD. I'm sure Dave will then made new building instructions for you. But just be patient with me...

30121897127_b243e1f7d5_z.jpg

Based on the fantastic ideas shown in this topic, I finally finished my own version. I designed the train inspired by images of old steam trains and "steampunk" concept art of monorails.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas - most technical details were taken from this eurobricks-topic.

30225255297_38c369fa33_z_d.jpg

44252059915_82e78fa882_z_d.jpg

Thanks to the instructions found here, I've builded a little display that I am testing. Trying to make it fit on grey base plate to make it part of a moonbase for my next expo in november. Sorry for the mess around it, still WIP. 

I expect to use the EV3 ultrasonic sensor to spot where the monorail come from and change the rail accordingly... but I still have a lot of work to acheive that. 

Test du circuit complet

@Asper This amazing. And it really has that steampunk look. The colour scheme and detailing is excellent.

I also like how the monorail itself looks. Very nice sleek design of the pillars. They work great.

17 hours ago, MonsieurCaron said:

Thanks to the instructions found here, I've builded a little display that I am testing. Trying to make it fit on grey base plate to make it part of a moonbase for my next expo in november. Sorry for the mess around it, still WIP.

This looks very promising I like the design of your train. Where will it be displayed?

19 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Beautiful model @Asper! Love the moving parts you've added in as well! :drool: :thumbup:

7 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

@Asper This amazing. And it really has that steampunk look. The colour scheme and detailing is excellent.

I also like how the monorail itself looks. Very nice sleek design of the pillars. They work great.

Thank you!

There are even more moving parts in the second "steampunk" train:

31311470308_3ed7c387cb_z_d.jpg

31311469938_1d92fa1f6e_z_d.jpg

I added more detail pictures in an album on flicker

Both trains in action:

Thank you all for this great topic! Thank you for sharing your ideas, and for posting your designs!

On 10/8/2018 at 3:38 PM, Asper said:

31311470308_3ed7c387cb_z_d.jpg

31311469938_1d92fa1f6e_z_d.jpg

I really like this ... Your other cars are amazing as well but this "engine" is sweet

While not a monorail, I think followers of this thread will appreciate the excellent design of this motorized coaster. It done by Jason Allemann of JK Brickworks who is responsible for THREE different Lego Ideas projects including the Marble Maze, the Pop Up Book and the Pursuit of Flight Kinetic Sculpture. Personally I find all of his work interesting and inspirational. Hope you enjoy it too. 

Check out this incredibly stylized CRS monorail which is just a small part of one very massive, collaborative display shown off at this year's Seattle BrickCon... :oh:

Flickr - War of the Technomages 

War of the TechnomagesWar of the Technomages

On 10/7/2018 at 3:30 PM, Asper said:

Based on the fantastic ideas shown in this topic, I finally finished my own version. I designed the train inspired by images of old steam trains and "steampunk" concept art of monorails.

Wow, that is just simply beautiful. :wub: Can you cite any of the concept art that inspired you? :classic:

On 10/12/2018 at 5:35 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Wow, that is just simply beautiful. :wub: Can you cite any of the concept art that inspired you? :classic:

Thank you!

Unfortunately I did not keep links to all images I found. I googled for "steam" "steampunk" "monorail" "elevated" "train", .... One thing I remember was the "Meigs Elevated Railway" and the green train started with a rounder shape inspired by this.

14 minutes ago, rucolo said:

hello, I've seen so many ways to make the curve of monorail, but I did not understand what is the best way, less expensive and more resistant.
for example i see this with bricks https://youtu.be/mqYmFWg_tVc?t=56 or this wip-lego-monorails-custom with plate!!!

what is the best way??

tnx

Which of the two is the best? Well I would definitely say the latter of the two is the strongest since it's constructed using five layers of plates all overlapping each other. 

1 hour ago, rucolo said:

hello, I've seen so many ways to make the curve of monorail, but I did not understand what is the best way, less expensive and more resistant.
for example i see this with bricks https://youtu.be/mqYmFWg_tVc?t=56 or this wip-lego-monorails-custom with plate!!!

what is the best way??

tnx

Neither met my needs, so I combined the two. The plate method is the stronger of the two because it offers two hinge points. The brick method is taller and in my opinion better looking and more realistic looking. Zoom in on my picture below and you can see how I made mine. 

monorail RYB w track 1

As for cost, less pieces usually translates into lower cost, but there are so many variables like the color you choose and the quantity you buy and the source you buy from it's impossible to answer that definitively. Design what you want or need then shop for parts carefully. 

2 minutes ago, sed6 said:

Neither met my needs, so I combined the two. The plate method is the stronger of the two because it offers two hinge points. The brick method is taller and in my opinion better looking and more realistic looking. Zoom in on my picture below and you can see how I made mine.  

monorail RYB w track 1

As for cost, less pieces usually translates into lower cost, but there are so many variables like the color you choose and the quantity you buy and the source you buy from it's impossible to answer that definitively. Design what you want or need then shop for parts carefully. 

thanky you very much, your solution is a middle way of the onother two, i see your flickr photos and train moc, the little green train is wonderful :D

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Which of the two is the best? Well I would definitely say the latter of the two is the strongest since it's constructed using five layers of plates all overlapping each other. 

thanky you very much, i will tray to make it :D
bu for the "straight" part of track i prefer use bricks :D