Sign in to follow this  
Moppo

[MOC/Mod] Green 2 L'ulo L'ampar's RZ-1 A-Wing Interceptor

Finally got myself an A-Wing! I started with the LDD file that posted in this thread by @TheNerdyOne_ and modified it from there. I took inspiration from @DarthTwoShedsJackson's A-Wing's engines, I wanted to brick-build the fins for a more accurate shape, but I wasn't sure because of how thick they'd be, so I went with the new A-Wing fin pieces.

GXbyiREh.jpg

I didn't set out to make a specific pilot's ship, I just wanted an A-Wing in a canon colour-scheme. Knowing there was a green squadron I chose that, and stuck a Duros head on the pilot for some variety. Whaddaya know, turns out he already exists! :laugh:

You can also see the cowling behind the cockpit here, instead of the usual wedge piece I tried to replicate the shape with some simple snot sloping. I'm not sure if I saw this design somewhere else, so credit to you whoever you are if you did it first.

tGo8aB1l.jpg

The biggest problem I had was the lack of parts in the colours I needed to build the slope on the underside so that it nicely mirrors the top. The inverted slopes were either too short, or have big holes in them, and while it's possible with more advanced building techniques, I like my models to be somewhat similar to Lego's sets in their construction, just more detailed if possible. So I just flipped the top slopes and they're held in place by a 11211 1x2 brick with studs on one side and a 99207 1x2 - 2x2 inverted bracket, with brick and plate inserted into the empty space and connected to a 1x2 technic brick with 2 holes for extra grip. It holds well, but the front ends of the slopes have nothing to stop them hanging open a little. Until Lego produces 1x1 plates with studs on the top and bottom, I won't really be able to finish this part as I'd like, so for now I just pinch it now and then and imagine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8W8YE4ul.jpg

Finally, here is the side profile. I made the stand to not stand out too much, and have a somewhat Star Wars-y look to it.

FvUYO8ul.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Another beautiful rendition of my favorite rebel starfighter. I like how you have mirrored the wedge slopes on the front of the model. I also like how the fuselage directly behind the cockpit canopy is built and shaped - I will take a cue from this and re-visit my latest A-wing version to improve this part of the model accordingly. I only wonder if the engines in your version are abit too long. Making them a bit longer is a good call, since the engines of the official versions are all too short in comparison to the rest of the vehicle, but I think you maybe went a bit too far.

Nonetheless - great model! :thumbup:

Thanks!

I see what you mean about the engine length. Might be able to shorten them by a stud. I'll play around with the design a little more when I can. :)

Beautiful rendition! I'm working on my own version of the A-wing so it's great to see how someone else already finished theirs.