Hi all.

This is my first time posting in the town forum.   I just wanted to share a MOC I built for our local Lego show "BrickExpo" in late July 2016, which I only recently had the chance to photograph properly when it was part of a recent LUG collaborative display at the Bricks at Woden School show, and then again when I set it up at home a week or so back.   

I wanted to build a formal park that was in scale with the Modular buildings, with the aim of having a larger display piece that could be used in the LUG's collaborative layouts.  I had already prototyped corner and side modules when LEGO announced the Fun in the Park set, and that set inspired me to proceed with it.  So over the course of several months in early 2016 I built all the rest of the park modules.   I realised later on in the build that I needed to provide wheelchair access for the new fig, so I turned a side entrance into a ramp and made it the focus of an "opening" scene for the new access ramp.  I bought the Fun in the Park set on day one of release and had an entertaining time posing figures (I did use all of them from the set, but one is out of sight on the far side), and thought up a few more minifig scenes as well.  

The Park also gave me the chance to try some different techniques, especially with the trees, which I made from techniques I saw online and with some variations of my own.  Jokingly I refer to it as "UCS Fun in the Park".

In the following two overview shots taken at the show, one LUG member built the brick-built roads, and another built the multi-coloured row of town houses in the back.  Various members contributed sets etc. 

Overview 1

33796275951_9c55538382_c.jpgModular City Park Overview 1 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

Overview 2

33541003250_1f295dd90d_c.jpgModular City Park Overview 2 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

The Opening of the access ramp

34145982300_84d7282994_c.jpgModular City Park 3 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

Close up of the Statue end of the Park - a tribute to our founders

33721104173_6d16fa79b6_c.jpgModular City Park 4 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

I guess I am a romantic at heart...

34145980320_dce01959fb_c.jpgModular City Park 5 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

Kids enjoying the park

33721100943_33d3bbee30_c.jpgModular City Park 6 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

Corner

33688733374_28d15fc6ce_c.jpgModular City Park 7 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

How the park is constructed

34490198406_23ee2ac128_c.jpgModular City Park 8 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

And because the park itself is modular, it can be used in a smaller configuration if required!

33688732954_c6de1cd7fd_c.jpgModular City Park 9 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

Larger versions of all photos can be found in the flickr album here for the extra keen:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125221542@N03/albums/72157682377221205

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

WOW!!!!

This Looks amazing

Love everything about it!!!!

Great Great Work!!!

That is just genius.  I wish I had the bricks, let alone the vision to build this kind of thing.

You could also add modules for the Ferris wheel, carousel and fairground mixer too, to make it even larger and a display in itself.

Brilliant details!  The modular aspect of it works well to make it the desired size.  

As I stated on Flickr: Absolutely smashing.
I've seen a lot of city layouts, but this beats them all.
Keep up the good work, and, above all, keep clicking those bricks together!

Clever techniques here. I like the angled entrances. It is quite a grand park scene, which would be fun to have in a real life town, let alone a Modular layout.

I may even like the smaller version better with just the fountain. How did you make the water project that way? It looks like 1x2 trans clear plates, but then it looks like it switches directions partway down, or my eyes are deceiving me.

The minifig scenes are fun and would be a big hit at a convention. Although I like sticking with my classic yellow smiley in my modular layouts, they don't show the exact emotion of ice cream being dropped or someone falling into the pond.

I would say the handicapped ramp is a bit steep. Hopefully he can make it okay.

I don't think the current layout for my LUG would accommodate something like this, but it looks fun.

I want to build a modular amusement park for my daughter's Friends figures, so  it's nice to see something come together in a modular fashion. I like the fencing, although I want to do something in white for the Friends. It seems more friendly vs a realistic iron fence here.

Keep up the good work.

This is great work.. i like how the fountain really seems to work! The whole setup is colorful and you worked with so much details, really amazing!! I would put some extra minifigs in the layout however, especially on the sidewalks in the back, with the modular buildings!

Hope to see expansions soon!!!

Beautiful looking build!! The fountain, the paths and the plants look spot on!! This would be a great addition to any city and looks perfect in your layout.

Excellent work!!

Fantastic and very realistic park. The foliage and trees, pathways, exterior walls and gates are all beautifully done. It looks fantastic in that equally amazing town layout. 

Thanks very much for the positive comments everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to do so. 

It has taken me a long time to get around to taking photos so it is great to be able to share it with people online at last. 

On 10/05/2017 at 5:23 AM, paupadros said:

This is really admirable work! 45-degree entrances especially! Well done sir!

Thanks, it took me awhile the first time to figure out how to do them, but once I'd built one corner module it was relatively easy to build the others.  I actually refined the technique - the first one wasn't built all that efficiently, the last one used a lot less pieces on the underside.

On 10/05/2017 at 7:41 AM, TheLegoDr said:

I may even like the smaller version better with just the fountain. How did you make the water project that way? It looks like 1x2 trans clear plates, but then it looks like it switches directions partway down, or my eyes are deceiving me.

Yes, it is mainly 1x2 trans clear plates - the spouts in the fountain itself are arranged in an approriate arc.  Inside the fountain is a combo of trans clear plates and trans light blue square and round plates and tiles.  The overflow into the pond in the large layout is trans clear plates turned sideways underneath the top layer, if thats what you are referring to.  You can see that overflow segment sitting near the fountain in the photo showing the breakdown of the park.

Thanks again for looking everyone.

great work,, i have try to make parks, only yours is so far better ;) and love minifig scenes  ;)

I like the rounded corner steps going up the city park. 

And that minifigure about to fall onto the water is hilarious. Great job!

I adore it! I've been planning on whipping up my own modular-compliant park at some point in the future, and this is pretty damn close to what I was imagining! I think my favorite aspect is the fencing around the park- it looks perfect.