I am a fairly new member to the Lego community but have immediately been interested in LPEs. 

Here is my idea:

Has anybody ever built or thought about powering a compressor with the engine itself. So instead of having a compressor powered by a PF motor, connect the crankshaft of the engine to it. This removes the need for the motor entirely. 

You will obviously need some sort of external pump to get the engine turning over as a start, similar to a starter motor. The other problem I have thought of is that it will create a never ending cycle of the engine going faster and faster and faster, assuming that the compressor can produce more air than the engine needs and vice versa. 

I currently do not have the resources to test this myself so any feedback would be amazing!

Is this a stupid idea? Are there other things I haven't thought of? What are your thoughts on this project?

Thanks! 

This would be perpetual motion, which has never been proved before :)

It would be kinda like the solar panel that powers a heat lamp which powers the panel. Eventually it would run out of power.

I like where you're going with this, but sadly it is not physically possible due to the laws of physics lol.

M5

we still have to obey the laws of physics i'm afraid.

What you are talking about is a perpetuum mobile (never ending machine) this would be the holy grail of mechanics, and even in a world without friction it would be hard to achieve (less friction in outer space with 0 gravity but pneumatics don't work well there, without air..)

A engine can never provide (enough) power to feed itself, you will always need to introduce a form of energy (wind, petrol or here an pf-motor)

Basically the compressor will only provide a fraction of what the motor will need, slowing it down, get a bigger compressor you say? that will need more torque and thus more air to move your motor/compressor.

Not a dumb idea, a very nice idea that people all over the world try to solve, but so far no one has.. can't hurt to try tho ;D

Completely impossible, friction, air resistance, and the laws of physics do not allow this. The closes thing to something that will spin forever humans have made a a perfectly balanced metal wheel on magnetic bearings inside a vacuum, but even that will stop when the magnets wear out.

b128fd4c0b9f03fb9c634d58e3187a11_meme-ar

Maybe if we had liquid Helium, it has zero viscosity so it can move infinitely (well theoretically...) so I think the reall problem is how we're gonna stop the pieces freezing and cracking from a liquid at -271°C.

Edited by Epic Technic